2 different size subs - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

2 different size subs

Is it a bad idea to run one 8" and 1 10" sub in the same vehicle. I like the tight bass my 8" sub makes for music like AC/DC, country, etc...., but it just isn't enough for other types of music I listen to. I have one 8" and 1 10" sub at my house. I have a reg cab 93 Lightning so space is very limited. Can I run 2 different sizes or will it sound like chit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 10:29 AM
LUCIFER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolic
Is it a bad idea to run one 8" and 1 10" sub in the same vehicle. I like the tight bass my 8" sub makes for music like AC/DC, country, etc...., but it just isn't enough for other types of music I listen to. I have one 8" and 1 10" sub at my house. I have a reg cab 93 Lightning so space is very limited. Can I run 2 different sizes or will it sound like chit?

Although I wouldn't recommend it I will say you truly don't know what it will sound like until you try?
I've got a Kicker 10inch sub for sale if you'd like to even that out

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 02:22 AM
Lifer

I think it would probably sound pretty uneven. Also, with the different size subs you will need to adjust the crossover for each accordingly. They will each have a different acoustic range and will needed to be tuned right to sound decent. You should just save some money and buy another matching sub. It will sound better first and foremost and won't look like a thrown together system.

The response times for subs can differ greatly depending on the size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Merry HoHo

just run the 10

.(OBAMA) One Big Ass Mistake America
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Packin' up...

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Custom Title

build a big box and put both in it wired together, then it would be like an 18" sub!

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:16 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

A single quality sub with clean power in the correct enclosure will sound a whole lot better than mismatched subs. If you really want clean, tight bass you should look at going with some really high end seperates.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 09:31 PM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
I'd only do it if you are running two separate amps. You would gain range by using two separate size subs though.

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:17 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZMO
I'd only do it if you are running two separate amps. You would gain range by using two separate size subs though.

How so? What range would you gain by going with both instead of just the 10?

I'd just do the 10. Well, I'd do two of them. Eh, actually, we know what I'd do. Two 15s FTW!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 AM
B-WIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
How so? What range would you gain by going with both instead of just the 10?

I'd just do the 10. Well, I'd do two of them. Eh, actually, we know what I'd do. Two 15s FTW!

Well really, I originally thought there was a 10 and a 12...

But there is still a different range of frequency between a 8 and a 10.

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 12:52 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZMO
Well really, I originally thought there was a 10 and a 12...

But there is still a different range of frequency between a 8 and a 10.
Are you sure? I don't know of any decent 10s that won't play as low or as high as an equivalent 8. In fact, most good 8s would probably play just as low as you would want to go with a 10.

I think there is a misconception that you can get tighter, punchier bass with a smaller sub and deeper, boomier bass with a larger sub. I'm a firm believer that enclosure, sub quality, source material, and processing have more to do with that. All other things being relative, a bigger sub is going to have more output than a smaller one, and that should apply to all sub bass frequency ranges. You aren't going to miss out on any "range" if you go with a 10 over an 8.

I think it's a bad idea to mix sub sizes. Now if you want to do dedicated midbass drivers, that's a totally different story. You'd want to go stereo and put them up front with the mids and highs. But that's getting fancy.

<--- wants to get fancy with dedicated midbass drivers some day.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Packin' up...

Jared, you should just go ahead and get an Excursion so you can fit your toys in it ;p
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 02:39 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark
Jared, you should just go ahead and get an Excursion so you can fit your toys in it ;p
I'm shoehorning everything I can into this Explorer!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 07:46 PM
B-WIZ

Quote:

I think it's a bad idea to mix sub sizes. Now if you want to do dedicated midbass drivers, that's a totally different story. You'd want to go stereo and put them up front with the mids and highs. But that's getting fancy.

Thats all I'm actually poking at. Same as say a home theater tower speaker with say a horn, an 8 and say a 12. On different x-overs of course though.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 01:40 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Are you sure? I don't know of any decent 10s that won't play as low or as high as an equivalent 8. In fact, most good 8s would probably play just as low as you would want to go with a 10.

I think there is a misconception that you can get tighter, punchier bass with a smaller sub and deeper, boomier bass with a larger sub. I'm a firm believer that enclosure, sub quality, source material, and processing have more to do with that. All other things being relative, a bigger sub is going to have more output than a smaller one, and that should apply to all sub bass frequency ranges. You aren't going to miss out on any "range" if you go with a 10 over an 8.

<--- wants to get fancy with dedicated midbass drivers some day.

Jared, Keep in mind that you're having to move that heavy(er) motor / cone on the larger sub, which can make it inaccurate when you're playing above the ideal frequency for a given sub/enclosure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement