Help! DLP Trouble-Shooting - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Help! DLP Trouble-Shooting

I've got a 61" Samsung DLP in the living room that started giving me problems yesterday. I've had the TV for about 18 months and since I travel a lot, use it fairly infrequently.

Yesterday, I turned the TV on and it started up as usual. After about 30 seconds, the picture went to black, but the audio remained for about 3-5 seconds before it too cut out and the TV automatically shut down. All three LED lights on the TV began blinking (Standby/Temp, Timer and Lamp). I un-plugged the set and powered it back up twice with the same results.

I know that the lamps are consumable parts in DLP's, so I thought that would be the best place to start looking. I pulled the lamp out and visually, it looks just fine. No discoloration, filament is intact, doesn't rattle, etc...

When I replaced the lamp, the TV now won't power up at all, and I think it's now just the Standby and Lamp LED's that blink. I pulled my 42" LCD off my wall of my bedroom and am now using that in my living room, but I'm hoping you guys can help me diagnose the problem.

If it were the lamp, would it even give me the picture as it initially did? Would there be any visiual indication that the bulb is bad?

Could it be the ballast? I'm told that the ballast is the power supply for the lamp, and that they go bad sometimes too. I don't think it's the color wheel, because there was no noises at all associated with the failure.

Can anyone provide any insight?

Thanks in advance.

- Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Time Served

the samsung dlp tvs have a sensor that tells if the access panel for the bulb is not on properly. if you didn't get the panel to fit just right when you put the bulb back in the tv won't turn on.

i have an older 50" samsung 720p dlp, i think it blinked 2 red lights on the front when this happened.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Censored

Sounds like the DMD chip. call Samsung, or look at the troubleshooting part of your manual.

My Mom's went out when it was two years old. Mitsubishi said the life of them was 100,000 hours.

Doors Done Rite

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Lifer

This is actually a common Samsung DLP problem if you read enough reviews.

I can tell you that if you don't probably seat the Lamp it will have similar symptoms. Happened to me with my RCA DLP.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Custom Title

Ours did that, new lamp = problem solved. bad thing is they are NOT cheap. Ours was still under the extended warranty tho, so it was free.

Ours is the Samsung 61 DLP also. I think the tech said the bulb was $600

Is the HEAT lite lit up when it flashes, or TEMP maybe?

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Well, the bulb was burned out, and then I didn't have the back access panel properly seated, so it was a combination of those two thing.

$120 for the bulb (shipped) and I'm back in action.

Thanks for the tips guys.

- Jason
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonRR
Well, the bulb was burned out, and then I didn't have the back access panel properly seated, so it was a combination of those two thing.

Thanks for the tips guys.

- Jason
Good deal, guess Conn's service tech's get the fucken expensive ones, or have a HELL of a markup!

I'll have a new TV before this one goes out again, unless it dies a quick death.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonRR

Where did you get it? I have the same TV still kickin it with the original bulb. Im glad to see the prices have come down on the bulbs. I figured they would in time.

Trevor
White 93 Hatch with some stuff done to it. whistles innocently
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

I bought it from discount-merchant.com. Factory Phillips replacement bulb at the cheapest price I could find ($109+shipping, $120 total). Got to me in 3 days.

I should note that I got only the bulb and installed it into my original housing (super easy and took 2 minutes). They've got YouTube videos that walk you through the whole process, but it's intuitive and obvious.

- Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement