Home Theater Speaker Ohm ? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
LUCIFER
 
bjtheman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aubrey
Posts: 5,462
Home Theater Speaker Ohm ?

I've got a Home Theater System that I'd like to use in a room, but want to upgrade the speakers. It was one of those home theater in a box deals...
Issue is the fronts/rears speakers are 3ohm, the speakers I'm looking at are 8ohm? The system has an output of 700watts

Would this work, would it sound shitty?

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED


bjtheman1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 11:20 AM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
You'll likely get a lot less power to the 8 ohm speakers. As in, less than half.

Most of the home audio stuff I've seen is 8 ohm. You have a 3 ohm HTIB setup? What brand?
jluv is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
LUCIFER
 
bjtheman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aubrey
Posts: 5,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
You'll likely get a lot less power to the 8 ohm speakers. As in, less than half.

Most of the home audio stuff I've seen is 8 ohm. You have a 3 ohm HTIB setup? What brand?

I think it's either a JVC or Phillips, I've heard of several that come with 3ohm speakers.

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED


bjtheman1 is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
LUCIFER
 
bjtheman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aubrey
Posts: 5,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
You'll likely get a lot less power to the 8 ohm speakers. As in, less than half.
Most of the home audio stuff I've seen is 8 ohm. You have a 3 ohm HTIB setup? What brand?
I'm wanting to focus on a set of floorstanding speakers with this set..

Ok, maybe a crazy question:

What if I ran both fronts wires to a single speaker...since the power output per channel will be lower then combining both would double the watts? Eh?
Just a stupid thought...


2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED


bjtheman1 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 03:29 PM
B-WIZ
 
KOZMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Posts: 1,807
Do yourself a favor and buy a receiver.

You do run a risk of electrical fire with improper impedance.




DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
KOZMO is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:16 PM
is chilaxing
 
Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,760
I don't see any problems hooking them up at all, other than getting less power using 8ohms instead of 3ohms. Example.....100w @ 3ohms, him using 8ohm speakers would probably get about upper 30 to lower 40wats per channel. Now if it was other way around, would need to make sure receiver is able to handle a 3ohm setup versus a 8ohm setup.
Rafa is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 07:23 AM
dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa
I don't see any problems hooking them up at all, other than getting less power using 8ohms instead of 3ohms. Example.....100w @ 3ohms, him using 8ohm speakers would probably get about upper 30 to lower 40wats per channel. Now if it was other way around, would need to make sure receiver is able to handle a 3ohm setup versus a 8ohm setup.
the problem is that receiver is rated at max wattage, so 100 watts per channel through a non-high current receiver = about 40 watts rms at 3 ohms, so thats about 20w or less at 8ohms.

check the spec sheet on the speakers and look for minimum wattage requirements.

i'm with kozmo, do yourself a favor and buy a receiver. i doubt you'll have a fire, but you may screw up your speakers.
momo stallion is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
LUCIFER
 
bjtheman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aubrey
Posts: 5,462
Yea, you guys are right. The wattage would be almost a waste if I went that route. I'm just gonna check out new systems today

thanks guys

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED


bjtheman1 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
It's not so much about the sound. It's about resistance. If your receiver is 3 ohm then it would be unwise to put a 8 ohm load on it. You can damage the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Turbobrooks
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
Posts: 16,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtheman1
I'm wanting to focus on a set of floorstanding speakers with this set..

Ok, maybe a crazy question:

What if I ran both fronts wires to a single speaker...since the power output per channel will be lower then combining both would double the watts? Eh?
Just a stupid thought...

You can run them in parallel like that but you're still presenting a 33% smaller load to the amplifier than if you had the right speakers....



Allen Werl Performance Racecraft Motorsports Inc.

Made possible by:
http://www.jamesbschassisservices.com
http://www.brooksracecraft.com
Andrew is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Turbobrooks
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
Posts: 16,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
It's not so much about the sound. It's about resistance. If your receiver is 3 ohm then it would be unwise to put a 8 ohm load on it. You can damage the receiver.
NOT.

If it's rated for 8 ohms and you put a 3 ohm load on it, yes you will damage the amplifier.



Allen Werl Performance Racecraft Motorsports Inc.

Made possible by:
http://www.jamesbschassisservices.com
http://www.brooksracecraft.com
Andrew is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
NOT.

If it's rated for 8 ohms and you put a 3 ohm load on it, yes you will damage the amplifier.
It is fundamentally never good to mismatch impedance. Considering we are talking about a HTIB receiver that is not top of the line.

You will have a cheaply made 3 ohm high current receiver hooked up to 8 ohm speaker. Not going to sound great and I wouldn't recommend it.

It will work, but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Turbobrooks
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
Posts: 16,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
It is fundamentally never good to mismatch impedance. Considering we are talking about a HTIB receiver that is not top of the line.

You will have a cheaply made 3 ohm high current receiver hooked up to 8 ohm speaker. Not going to sound great and I wouldn't recommend it.

It will work, but still.
You just won't get as much power transfer. That's all.



Allen Werl Performance Racecraft Motorsports Inc.

Made possible by:
http://www.jamesbschassisservices.com
http://www.brooksracecraft.com
Andrew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome