Need Input on Speakers - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Need Input on Speakers

Let me start by saying, I've never been big in to home audio. I'll be buying a 73"ish tv here pretty soon, and my crappy ass home set up now is going to have to go as well.

I'm currently using some pile of shit Samsung HTIB set up, if you can even call it that. Similar to this, but SEVERAL years older, no ability to play CD-R or RW, etc. I'm convinced it's lower wattage as well. It was given to me, so I didn't waste any money on it.

My BIL, is in the process of upgrading at the moment. He called me, and asked if I would be interested in his current speaker set up. Being that I don't know shit about home audio, I need some input. I do know it's better than what I have now. I will also have to buy a receiver to push these.

Polk Audio

Fronts: RTi10

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...ividual/rti10/

Center: CSi3

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...dividual/csi3/

Sub: PSW505

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...vidual/psw505/

What do you think these are worth? I know what he paid for them, and he's offering to me for substantially less. They are less than a year old, and everything he owns is kept in immaculate condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Iamwaxman!

Those look like pretty nice speakers. Really not sure what the used market is for these, but if you think they're worth it, then it shouldn't matter. After all, you probably can't go anywhere else and get them for the same price.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Those look like pretty nice speakers. Really not sure what the used market is for these, but if you think they're worth it, then it shouldn't matter. After all, you probably can't go anywhere else and get them for the same price.

Put it this way. He paid a hair under $2000, and will sell them to me for $800.

You're the home audio guru, do you have any experience with Polk?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
Put it this way. He paid a hair under $2000, and will sell them to me for $800.

You're the home audio guru, do you have any experience with Polk?

Guru? Not quite.

I've only listened to Polk's stuff in the stores(demo rooms), and everything tends to sound good in a small, dedicated, acoustically treated room I tend to go for the 1 off companies, or custom build stuff. But you also can't go wrong with some of the name brand stuff either. I say for $800, you're getting a smoking deal! If you don't like them for some reason, I know you can get your money back, probably more. Heck, I'll even help you sell them
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:07 PM
yes, jluv

That stuff looks pretty badass, Brent. And that price is right. Go for it.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Iamwaxman!

Hey Brent, whats is #? I'd like to talk to him since you're having such a hard time with this decision
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:23 PM
dead

thats a good deal. go ahead and buy it.

im not a big fan of polk audio's sound compared to some other similar price products but those are the RTi/CSi series which feature the better cabinets and drivers. the only thing i would change about that setup is i would prefer the lower priced RTi8 over the RTi10.

either way i think you will be happy with them for sure. now you just need a nice receiver.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
thats a good deal. go ahead and buy it.

im not a big fan of polk audio's sound compared to some other similar price products but those are the RTi/CSi series which feature the better cabinets and drivers. you will be happy with them for sure. now you just need a nice receiver.

Hey! I just happen to have one for sale!
Get an amp, and you will have a SMOKIN system with those Polks!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Any suggestions for a newb on a receiver to push these? I don't want anything that is overkill, but I don't want to be unhappy and replace it in a year either.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Any suggestions for a newb on a receiver to push these? I don't want anything that is overkill, but I don't want to be unhappy and replace it in a year either.

Ugh!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Ugh!

I didn't see your post above mine until after I posted. I had to click over to another window and didn't refresh before posting.

Yours is a processor right? What the hell is that, exactly? What would you recommend for an amp to go with it?
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Lifer

Fry's has had 73" Mitsu Dlp's lately for $1799-$1999, just FYI.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
I didn't see your post above mine until after I posted. I had to click over to another window and didn't refresh before posting.

Yours is a processor right? What the hell is that, exactly? What would you recommend for an amp to go with it?

Processor is a receiver without any onboard amps. Think of it like separating your car audio receiver and amp. Much better sounding and performance. Thats it in a nutshell. More distinctive channel separation, higher quality components, just all around better performer. It took me forever to be convinced to go with a processor, but now that I have I don't ever think I'll go back to a dedicated receiver.

There are a ton of choices on amps. And IMO you really couldn't go wrong with any of them. But of course the more well know companies will be better.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Fry's has had 73" Mitsu Dlp's lately for $1799-$1999, just FYI.

Yeah, Jared sold me on the model he got, so that is most likely what I will wind up with. Thanks for the info though!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Processor is a receiver without any onboard amps. Think of it like separating your car audio receiver and amp. Much better sounding and performance. Thats it in a nutshell. More distinctive channel separation, higher quality components, just all around better performer. It took me forever to be convinced to go with a processor, but now that I have I don't ever think I'll go back to a dedicated receiver.

There are a ton of choices on amps. And IMO you really couldn't go wrong with any of them. But of course the more well know companies will be better.

I can't find your ad, but I know I've seen it more than once.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
I can't find your ad, but I know I've seen it more than once.

Yeah, it's rolled off. But it's up on Ebay right now.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:56 PM
dead

Quote:

a processor is simply is where all your inputs tie in and audio is decoded, processed and set on to as low-level right and left analog audio to an amp.

the benefits of a processor is that it's separated from amplification, typically yielding a much cleaner signal being output to the amplifier.

pre-amp and amp setups are nice because when a new format comes along that you really want, you don't have to scrap the whole setup. if you buy nice speakers and a nice amp(5.1 or above), those things dont really get outdated by time.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Iamwaxman!

I relisted the ad Brent
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Time Served

We are Polk Audio dealers (tier A and B, entire lineup) if you still have questions on worth, MSRP, or street price PM me.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Lifer

Speaking of HTIB. I was in Wally World and I saw one of those that proudly proclaimed that it had 1000 Watts of power. I looked on the back and it showed that it uses 200 watts of power. I couldn't help but LMAO. If I actually believed their BS ratings, I would buy a whole bunch of them and power my house with them and cut my electric bill by 80%.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Lifer

Coop-
Did a quick check, and all the reviews are excellent (from owners). Looks like some of this stuff was made in '04-'05. $800 sounds fair for all of, but it might not hurt to bargain a liiiittle bit more.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Lifer

I personaly like the Sonance in ceiling speakers we sell myself. They will be replacing my wall mounted speakers once I get ready to redo my theater room.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Well, I finally went and got these out of my BIL's way, last Friday. Now they are sitting there looking pretty, but not making any noise.

I need to find a cheap deal on a decent receiver. I don't want to spend too much, because I will eventually be going to a pre amp/amp setup. At the same time, I want it to have HDMI. Does anyone have any input? I hit a few pawn shops, but all they had was junk. Not to mention, I know 99% of that shit is stolen, which sucks for someone. I'd prefer to not support that shady shit.

Craigslist junkies? Anyone that might have more time than I do?
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:42 PM
dead

Quote:
Well, I finally went and got these out of my BIL's way, last Friday. Now they are sitting there looking pretty, but not making any noise.

I need to find a cheap deal on a decent receiver. I don't want to spend too much, because I will eventually be going to a pre amp/amp setup. At the same time, I want it to have HDMI. Does anyone have any input? I hit a few pawn shops, but all they had was junk. Not to mention, I know 99% of that shit is stolen, which sucks for someone. I'd prefer to not support that shady shit.

Craigslist junkies? Anyone that might have more time than I do?

how much do you want to spend?
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
how much do you want to spend?

$Free Fiddy.

As long as Nick has had that Sherwood, I'd think he'd still have it in another year or so , so I don't want to spend too much. Hence why I looked at some pawn shops. I mean, if I'm going to drop $2000 or so in a few months, I can't justify spending more than $300 or so right now, just to satisfy my urge.

I don't know what is reasonable though, and what isn't. Keep in mind, I'm new to this shit. My Samsung POSIB has been fine until recently.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 02:02 PM
dead

you can try to offer the guy $300 on either of these. doubt he would take it, but you never know. both are good.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ele/857270767.html

if not you can get an onkyo 576 from shoponkyo.com for $270
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
you can try to offer the guy $300 on either of these. doubt he would take it, but you never know. both are good.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ele/857270767.html

if not you can get an onkyo 576 from shoponkyo.com for $270

Hmmm. That Harmon Kardon can be had online for $329.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...L%20HOME%20THT

I wonder if he'll take one fiddy and a pack of Big Red.

Do you have any experience with either? Which has the preferable user interface?
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 02:39 PM
dead

Quote:
Hmmm. That Harmon Kardon can be had online for $329.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...L%20HOME%20THT

I wonder if he'll take one fiddy and a pack of Big Red.

Do you have any experience with either? Which has the preferable user interface?
i've personally still use an HK AVR525. it was their first top of the line 7 channel amp back in '03. the only thing i lack on the unit is HDMI and i got around that so I havent felt the need to upgrade and wont until i do seperates.

the amp is massively under-rated at 80w x 7 and it's ridiculously clean for the money. IMO it was the best SQ for the money compared to onkyo and yamaha.

never used marantz.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:

As long as Nick has had that Sherwood, I'd think he'd still have it in another year or so

Sherwood sold about 2 weeks ago. Where you been?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement