Alpine double dins, which is best? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U

Alpine double dins, which is best?

Jluv, EW, and the like, whomever has owned a W200/205/505, and perferable more than one of em, which is your favorite and why?

This will be for my dad's 99 Lightning, with a power-pack (IF I CAN EVER FIND ONE!). It will be to a 3 way component set, no sub. My dad asked about Navi too, so I assume he will more than likely want a 205 or 505 (if the 505 does the dock of the new blackbird) He has the older blackbird already, so a 200 with a dock isn't out of the question if you think its a good buy.

What do you guys who have experience like of these 3 radios?

Thanks media gurus!

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Packin' up...

Jared, weren't you planning on upgrading to a 505, but they didn't have the optical cable like the 205?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:56 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark
Jared, weren't you planning on upgrading to a 505, but they didn't have the optical cable like the 205?

That was the case originally. That was only an issue because I use the 701 processor. The 505 uses a fancy connection on the back for the digital optical output. I went ahead and bought the 505 though a few months ago and then the cable when it finally became available. I still haven't installed it yet because I'm going with a whole new interior setup, so my new amps, head unit, etc are all just collecting dust for now.

Of the three, I would definitely go with the W505. Docking the Blackbird inside the deck is great, and the 505 has a larger screen than the 200/205. They also brought back the mute button on the 505. That's something I missed when switching from the 200 to 205. From my understanding, it will also play AND control an Ipod Video, which you can't do with the 200/205.

Besides the mute button, another advantage of the W200 over the W205 was the graphic eq interface. It actually showed a graph, whereas the 205 just lists the frequencies. The former was much cooler and more intuitive. Since I haven't hooked the 505 up yet, I don't know how they display the eq settings when using it with the 701, but I think I heard that it's much like the 205. That's a bummer, but won't matter to someone not using the 701, and even for someone who is (like me) it isn't a big enough drawback to negate the larger screen, the ability to dock the Blackbird, or the ability to control and playback video from an Ipod.

One other thing worth mentioning is that the 205 and 505 work better for bluetooth, either by use of the separate bluetooth modules or Blackbird II. With the 205/505 you can access stored numbers, call lists, dial pad, and caller ID from the screen. With the new 350BT, you can even do voice dial. I haven't used that particular module, but with the 300BT and the Blackbird, I will warn you that the saved numbers and call list syncing didn't work with a lot of bluetooth compatible phones. Actually talking hands-free worked okay though.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
That was the case originally. That was only an issue because I use the 701 processor. The 505 uses a fancy connection on the back for the digital optical output. I went ahead and bought the 505 though a few months ago and then the cable when it finally became available. I still haven't installed it yet because I'm going with a whole new interior setup, so my new amps, head unit, etc are all just collecting dust for now.

Of the three, I would definitely go with the W505. Docking the Blackbird inside the deck is great, and the 505 has a larger screen than the 200/205. They also brought back the mute button on the 505. That's something I missed when switching from the 200 to 205. From my understanding, it will also play AND control an Ipod Video, which you can't do with the 200/205.

Besides the mute button, another advantage of the W200 over the W205 was the graphic eq interface. It actually showed a graph, whereas the 205 just lists the frequencies. The former was much cooler and more intuitive. Since I haven't hooked the 505 up yet, I don't know how they display the eq settings when using it with the 701, but I think I heard that it's much like the 205. That's a bummer, but won't matter to someone not using the 701, and even for someone who is (like me) it isn't a big enough drawback to negate the larger screen, the ability to dock the Blackbird, or the ability to control and playback video from an Ipod.

One other thing worth mentioning is that the 205 and 505 work better for bluetooth, either by use of the separate bluetooth modules or Blackbird II. With the 205/505 you can access stored numbers, call lists, dial pad, and caller ID from the screen. With the new 350BT, you can even do voice dial. I haven't used that particular module, but with the 300BT and the Blackbird, I will warn you that the saved numbers and call list syncing didn't work with a lot of bluetooth compatible phones. Actually talking hands-free worked okay though.
Thats what I was looking for, thanks dude!

This is going in a car with no amps (possibly) and no processor. Dad just likes the touch screen and the ability to do Navi. The Blue tooth might be interesting too since its a 300 dollar ticket to use a cell phone while driving in CA now.

Anyone know of a good place to get a great deal on a W505 and a power pack amp/Blackbird 2? (EW??) heh

Orange 08 Corvette
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:19 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKD

This is going in a car with no amps (possibly) and no processor. Dad just likes the touch screen and the ability to do Navi. The Blue tooth might be interesting too since its a 300 dollar ticket to use a cell phone while driving in CA now.

Anyone know of a good place to get a great deal on a W505 and a power pack amp/Blackbird 2? (EW??) heh
What is a power pack?

So no amps or processor? I don't think the 505 has built in crossovers.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U

Quote:
What is a power pack?

So no amps or processor? I don't think the 505 has built in crossovers.
KTP-445 amp booster... full range to the components. no sub. its 45x4 RMS, so I was going to run 2 channels to the 6.5s and 2 channels to the 4s and tweeters... might seperate it and run front and back speakers with 45 a channel. I have 2 6.5s 2 4s and 4 tweeters, and 6 passives... so i have options on how to set it up.

Its a single cab, and he likes his storage, so removing the bins from the back for a sub isn't an option. Just want a nice radio with some components. Doesn't need any deep bass. Rather have good sound than the shit it has in it from Ford.

Orange 08 Corvette
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Founding Member

I have the w205. I like it alright and have had no problems. I planned to get the Blackbird when it came available but didn't since it was priced so high.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:

I would recommend to you not to use the current available bluetooth integration peice (KCE300BT) as there is a global echo issue with them. There is a new one that is coming out soon that is going to have the issue resolved(KCE350BT). I have had this issue with every single one I have installed for customers as well as mine I bought personaly. I sell a ton of alpine equipt and I think you will be much happier with the new unit if you can wait for it.

Last edited by xtremestang92; 09-27-2008 at 07:53 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:51 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremestang92
I would recommend to you not to use the current available bluetooth integration peice (KCE300BT) as there is a global echo issue with them. There is a new one that is coming out soon that is going to have the issue resolved(KCE350BT). I have had this issue with every single one I have installed for customers as well as mine I bought personaly. I sell a ton of alpine equipt and I think you will be much happier with the new unit if you can wait for it.

Cody- Car Toys Ft. Worth
My 300 didn't have too bad of an echo problem but when I switched to the Blackbird mic and bluetooth it became an issue at higher volumes. I just figured it was unavoidable. I like the idea of doing voice dial with the 350, but I wonder how well that will actually work. I honestly don't use the bluetooth much because it doesn't sync the phone book from my Samsung phone.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 02:28 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

There is a new nav option for the 505 called the NVE-P1. I have two on order. As far as I know, the add on amp has not shipped. I've had one on order since the beginning of the year.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
There is a new nav option for the 505 called the NVE-P1. I have two on order. As far as I know, the add on amp has not shipped. I've had one on order since the beginning of the year.
benefits to the new nav? Is it cheaper or better than the dockable Blackbird? How does it hook up?

Orange 08 Corvette
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:20 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
benefits to the new nav? Is it cheaper or better than the dockable Blackbird? How does it hook up?
$299, bluetooth, plug it into the built in dock, no screen, will not work outside of 505. http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...Dp1&i=500NVEP1
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:37 AM
yes, jluv

So it's basically a Blackbird shaped module that gives you the nav function without the ability to take it with you and saves you a couple hundred bucks?

I rarely remove my Blackbird from the vehicle, but to me that still seems cheesy. I would think that most people who buy the W505 and are willing to shell out a few hundred bucks more for nav would then go ahead and shell out yet another couple hundred bucks for the Blackbird and have the ability to dock it (with the supplied dock) in another vehicle, throw it in their backpack or pocket, etc.

But alas, I'm sure there are people who will want to save a buck. I guess I can't blame Alpine for trying to appeal to them. I just figure those people aren't typically springing for the 505 and nav in the first place.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
$299, bluetooth, plug it into the built in dock, no screen, will not work outside of 505. http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...Dp1&i=500NVEP1
Why wouldnt it work in the 205?

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19
It probably will. It just wouldn't work outside of the head unit. Heck, there's no screen or anything. It's essentially a giant SD card.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19
I don't know. Alpine says W505 only.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
So it's basically a Blackbird shaped module that gives you the nav function without the ability to take it with you and saves you a couple hundred bucks?

I rarely remove my Blackbird from the vehicle, but to me that still seems cheesy. I would think that most people who buy the W505 and are willing to shell out a few hundred bucks more for nav would then go ahead and shell out yet another couple hundred bucks for the Blackbird and have the ability to dock it (with the supplied dock) in another vehicle, throw it in their backpack or pocket, etc.

But alas, I'm sure there are people who will want to save a buck. I guess I can't blame Alpine for trying to appeal to them. I just figure those people aren't typically springing for the 505 and nav in the first place.
People want the absolute cheapest thing they can get and the Kenwood and Pioneer units cost less so they sell more. At $1298 with nav and bluetooth, the 505 will be much more in line with units like the kenwood 8120.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
People want the absolute cheapest thing they can get and the Kenwood and Pioneer units cost less so they sell more. At $1298 with nav and bluetooth, the 505 will be much more in line with units like the kenwood 8120.
agreed, and my dad already has a PMD 200T I think its called, so having 2 take alongs is sorta not necessary.

This has the blue tooth built in for cell phone talking as well? If so, thats a GREAT deal...

Orange 08 Corvette
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 05:40 AM
Lifer

I just got the old school Kenwood 7100 for 6 bills, refurbed by the factory...but I haven't been burned on a refurb yet.
Very few differences between the 7100 and the 8120.

I did look at the Alpine 505, very nice unit.
But honestly...I just couldn't justify spending that much.

Last edited by Stangin4Lyfe; 09-06-2008 at 05:51 AM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe
I just got the old school Kenwood 7100 for 6 bills, refurbed by the factory...but I haven't been burned on a refurb yet.
Very few differences between the 7100 and the 8120.

I did look at the Alpine 505, very nice unit.
But honestly...I just couldn't justify spending that much.
I got quoted 800 shipped, so yea I know that extra 200 bucks would be a pain.

Orange 08 Corvette
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 04:39 AM
In the Batter's Box

Quote:
I got quoted 800 shipped, so yea I know that extra 200 bucks would be a pain.
I would give 800 for the 505
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:32 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

New Alpine IVA-W203/P1 available soon! $999 for DVD w/nav.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
New Alpine IVA-W203/P1 available soon! $999 for DVD w/nav.

So that's basically the 205 except it takes the non-portable nav module, right?
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 01:26 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Yes
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Ivaw505
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:01 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

NVE-P1 nav in stock.
Sponsored Links