Bedroom Flat Panel - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: naked on the bean bag chair eating cheetos
Posts: 1,109
Bedroom Flat Panel

I want to install a flat panel on the wall in the bedroom .The problem I am having is want to do with the sat receiver and the dvd player . Does anybody have any ideas or photo's of there own .

******If you can't feed em don't breed em******
SOLOW55 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:16 AM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOW55
I want to install a flat panel on the wall in the bedroom .The problem I am having is want to do with the sat receiver and the dvd player . Does anybody have any ideas or photo's of there own .

You have a few choices. Put the DVD player and sat receiver somewhere else in the room and run long HDMI cables. Put a stand/dresser directly under the TV and put your stuff there. Or in some cases, people even mount the sat receiver flat on the wall behind the TV itself. Not sure if your mount will allow room for this, but I've heard of it being done that way. That still leaves you with the DVD player though.

I'm dealing with this exact same issue right now, and I think I'm just going to buy one of those nice wood cabinet/stand things for the components, but still mount the TV on the wall a foot or two higher than the stand itself. I've seen that setup and it looks nice, imo.
jluv is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
I have this set up in our bedroom. Here's what I did...

TV is mounted on the wall.
Verizon box and DVD player are under the bed(my side of course )
HDMI cable running from the boxes, along the baseboard, to the TV.

Right now it looks hideous with the cable running out in the open. But I plan to add some of those conduit for cables/wires in the near future. Just playing with placement for now.

Everything works awesome with this set up, and everything but the TV is out of sight!
Nick Chapman is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Plano
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
I have this set up in our bedroom. Here's what I did...

TV is mounted on the wall.
Verizon box and DVD player are under the bed(my side of course )
HDMI cable running from the boxes, along the baseboard, to the TV.

Right now it looks hideous with the cable running out in the open. But I plan to add some of those conduit for cables/wires in the near future. Just playing with placement for now.

Everything works awesome with this set up, and everything but the TV is out of sight!
are you just pointing the remote under the bed to change channels? Or do you have something like an ir blaster/repeater or a rf extender with a different remote?

'01 Bullitt #0054
bullitt54 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54
are you just pointing the remote under the bed to change channels? Or do you have something like an ir blaster/repeater or a rf extender with a different remote?

As long as I point it in the general direction, there is no issues. I don't have to point it down towards the boxes. To me, it's worth it not to have those boxes out in the open.
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:56 PM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Okay, so I've been hunting around for the right kind of cabinet/stand for this purpose and haven't had a ton of luck. I'm looking for something taller than the average stands (around 36"-48" tall), but still at least 48" wide. I also don't want it to be very deep. I just need it to stick off the wall just enough to hold the components. If the height was just right, I'd put the TV on top, but what I think I'll end up doing is mounting the TV a little higher on the wall. I don't want to mount the TV up high and have a real low-profile stand below it. I'm looking for something that keeps the sat receiver, A/V receiver, DVD player, etc a couple of feet off the ground, so that I can still see them over the edge of the bed when laying down. Everything I've found so far at BB, CC, and Fry's has been short and wide or tall and narrow. Is there a place around the metroplex that has a bigger selection of A/V cabinets/stands that I should check out?
jluv is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Why not build some shelves? If done right, it will look so much better than something you buy.
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SBRacing
Posts: 1,793
ikea

99GT Vert
doopie is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 PM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Why not build some shelves? If done right, it will look so much better than something you buy.
Like floating shelves? I just don't like the way that looks at all.

I'm toying with the idea of buying this big dresser looking thing where the TV raises and lowers out of it with a remote. Kickass! I'm just having a hard time justifying it when I probably wouldn't ever have any need to lower it/close it up.

I looked at some other decent stuff tonight too, at Rooms To Go, of all places. Thye have a couple that are about 3' tall, plenty wide, and not very deep.
jluv is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Lifer
 
2K2 LS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: HOA Hell!!!!
Posts: 7,148
I would put them in a closet out of site. Run video over a cat5 to component; or they even have a cat 5 to hdmi convertor box(made by ce labs and other companies). You have the boxes in another room or closet and out of sight, and for control you mount an IR systems that will have an eye on the tv to pickup the ir, and an emmiter on the equipment to control them. It is really simple and we do it almost every day. Pm me if you want more info/help on this way of doing it.
2K2 LS1 is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: red light district amsterdam
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1
I would put them in a closet out of site. Run video over a cat5 to component; or they even have a cat 5 to hdmi convertor box(made by ce labs and other companies). You have the boxes in another room or closet and out of sight, and for control you mount an IR systems that will have an eye on the tv to pickup the ir, and an emmiter on the equipment to control them. It is really simple and we do it almost every day. Pm me if you want more info/help on this way of doing it.
Damn, i had no idea you could run video over cat 5 to hdmi. Our whole house is cat 5 wired. If i would have known this last year, my life would have been a hell of a lot easier at the time.

2002 4.6L 5 spd. S281

So fast, I make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales
spederman is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Lifer
 
2K2 LS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: HOA Hell!!!!
Posts: 7,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by spederman
Damn, i had no idea you could run video over cat 5 to hdmi. Our whole house is cat 5 wired. If i would have known this last year, my life would have been a hell of a lot easier at the time.

There not cheap. This is another brand I found that you can see basically how the cat 5 box works.


http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-HDMI.../dp/B000HS3PY8
2K2 LS1 is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 07:11 PM
No, I don't have a turbo
 
TurboTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 2,203
Mentioning IR extenders.. any favorite brands? I need something so I don't have to open my cabinets to control my DVR and HK receiver.

Punxsutawney Jesus, Illuminati Elitist
TurboTodd is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Lifer
 
2K2 LS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: HOA Hell!!!!
Posts: 7,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
Mentioning IR extenders.. any favorite brands? I need something so I don't have to open my cabinets to control my DVR and HK receiver.

Xantech comes to mind
2K2 LS1 is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:35 PM
GROWED UP WRONG
 
Chopped54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Box Babies Come In
Posts: 7,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
Mentioning IR extenders.. any favorite brands? I need something so I don't have to open my cabinets to control my DVR and HK receiver.
I am using the Logitech 1000 with IR/RF extender.
Have it setup for my living room, my bedroom, my sons room, and my shop.
Chopped54 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome