Bedroom Flat Panel - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Bedroom Flat Panel

I want to install a flat panel on the wall in the bedroom .The problem I am having is want to do with the sat receiver and the dvd player . Does anybody have any ideas or photo's of there own .

******If you can't feed em don't breed em******
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:16 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOW55
I want to install a flat panel on the wall in the bedroom .The problem I am having is want to do with the sat receiver and the dvd player . Does anybody have any ideas or photo's of there own .

You have a few choices. Put the DVD player and sat receiver somewhere else in the room and run long HDMI cables. Put a stand/dresser directly under the TV and put your stuff there. Or in some cases, people even mount the sat receiver flat on the wall behind the TV itself. Not sure if your mount will allow room for this, but I've heard of it being done that way. That still leaves you with the DVD player though.

I'm dealing with this exact same issue right now, and I think I'm just going to buy one of those nice wood cabinet/stand things for the components, but still mount the TV on the wall a foot or two higher than the stand itself. I've seen that setup and it looks nice, imo.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Iamwaxman!

I have this set up in our bedroom. Here's what I did...

TV is mounted on the wall.
Verizon box and DVD player are under the bed(my side of course )
HDMI cable running from the boxes, along the baseboard, to the TV.

Right now it looks hideous with the cable running out in the open. But I plan to add some of those conduit for cables/wires in the near future. Just playing with placement for now.

Everything works awesome with this set up, and everything but the TV is out of sight!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
I have this set up in our bedroom. Here's what I did...

TV is mounted on the wall.
Verizon box and DVD player are under the bed(my side of course )
HDMI cable running from the boxes, along the baseboard, to the TV.

Right now it looks hideous with the cable running out in the open. But I plan to add some of those conduit for cables/wires in the near future. Just playing with placement for now.

Everything works awesome with this set up, and everything but the TV is out of sight!
are you just pointing the remote under the bed to change channels? Or do you have something like an ir blaster/repeater or a rf extender with a different remote?

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54
are you just pointing the remote under the bed to change channels? Or do you have something like an ir blaster/repeater or a rf extender with a different remote?

As long as I point it in the general direction, there is no issues. I don't have to point it down towards the boxes. To me, it's worth it not to have those boxes out in the open.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:56 PM
yes, jluv

Okay, so I've been hunting around for the right kind of cabinet/stand for this purpose and haven't had a ton of luck. I'm looking for something taller than the average stands (around 36"-48" tall), but still at least 48" wide. I also don't want it to be very deep. I just need it to stick off the wall just enough to hold the components. If the height was just right, I'd put the TV on top, but what I think I'll end up doing is mounting the TV a little higher on the wall. I don't want to mount the TV up high and have a real low-profile stand below it. I'm looking for something that keeps the sat receiver, A/V receiver, DVD player, etc a couple of feet off the ground, so that I can still see them over the edge of the bed when laying down. Everything I've found so far at BB, CC, and Fry's has been short and wide or tall and narrow. Is there a place around the metroplex that has a bigger selection of A/V cabinets/stands that I should check out?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Iamwaxman!

Why not build some shelves? If done right, it will look so much better than something you buy.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Lifer

ikea

99GT Vert
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Why not build some shelves? If done right, it will look so much better than something you buy.
Like floating shelves? I just don't like the way that looks at all.

I'm toying with the idea of buying this big dresser looking thing where the TV raises and lowers out of it with a remote. Kickass! I'm just having a hard time justifying it when I probably wouldn't ever have any need to lower it/close it up.

I looked at some other decent stuff tonight too, at Rooms To Go, of all places. Thye have a couple that are about 3' tall, plenty wide, and not very deep.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Lifer

I would put them in a closet out of site. Run video over a cat5 to component; or they even have a cat 5 to hdmi convertor box(made by ce labs and other companies). You have the boxes in another room or closet and out of sight, and for control you mount an IR systems that will have an eye on the tv to pickup the ir, and an emmiter on the equipment to control them. It is really simple and we do it almost every day. Pm me if you want more info/help on this way of doing it.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1
I would put them in a closet out of site. Run video over a cat5 to component; or they even have a cat 5 to hdmi convertor box(made by ce labs and other companies). You have the boxes in another room or closet and out of sight, and for control you mount an IR systems that will have an eye on the tv to pickup the ir, and an emmiter on the equipment to control them. It is really simple and we do it almost every day. Pm me if you want more info/help on this way of doing it.
Damn, i had no idea you could run video over cat 5 to hdmi. Our whole house is cat 5 wired. If i would have known this last year, my life would have been a hell of a lot easier at the time.

2002 4.6L 5 spd. S281

So fast, I make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spederman
Damn, i had no idea you could run video over cat 5 to hdmi. Our whole house is cat 5 wired. If i would have known this last year, my life would have been a hell of a lot easier at the time.

There not cheap. This is another brand I found that you can see basically how the cat 5 box works.

http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-HDMI.../dp/B000HS3PY8
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 07:11 PM
No, I don't have a turbo

Mentioning IR extenders.. any favorite brands? I need something so I don't have to open my cabinets to control my DVR and HK receiver.

Punxsutawney Jesus, Illuminati Elitist
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
Mentioning IR extenders.. any favorite brands? I need something so I don't have to open my cabinets to control my DVR and HK receiver.

Xantech comes to mind
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:35 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
I am using the Logitech 1000 with IR/RF extender.
Have it setup for my living room, my bedroom, my sons room, and my shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement