LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Dish Network will broadcast in 1080p

http://news.digitaltrends.com/news-a...ork-hits-1080p

http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/1:gizm...891c07215b0792

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 05:36 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I get all the 1080p I want through torrents on Charter. Thinking about jumping back over to Dish though since it seems there is no way my DVR will ever work properly again.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Lifer

I left Charter because of the POS HDDVR. I had 4 and all of them were garbage. Dish's PVR is better in alot of ways.

generic signature

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:46 AM
yes, jluv

From everything else I've read about it, it's just going to be the Video on Demand stuff that's in 1080p, at least for now. That would be slick if all of their HD channels had 1080p programming.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
That's fine and dandy but Fios is the ONLY ONE that doesn't compress the signal anymore than what it's fed to them at.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:17 AM
PVC Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
That's fine and dandy but Fios is the ONLY ONE that doesn't compress the signal anymore than what it's fed to them at.
yep but not everyone can get Fios , like myself

"Less talkie talkie more ping pong"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Time Served

Quote:
true. i have fios but unfortunately there are not a whole lot of HD channels right now.

This is supposed to change after 8/25 when they eliminate the analog channels. Customers in other states that have already had their analog channels removed and have gotten somewhere between 80 - 100 HD channels shortly afterwards. i look forward to the beginning of september.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:59 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54
true. i have fios but unfortunately there are not a whole lot of HD channels right now.

This is supposed to change after 8/25 when they eliminate the analog channels. Customers in other states that have already had their analog channels removed and have gotten somewhere between 80 - 100 HD channels shortly afterwards. i look forward to the beginning of september.

I didn't think they had a lot either, but a look at their lineup on the website lists a bunch. i was trying to figure out which ones i have that fios doesn't.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 03:47 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
FIOS sucks dick.....

cause I can't get it

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:17 PM
dead

a good write up on HD Lite (compression) if anyone cares:

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...le_secret/C176
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
From everything else I've read about it, it's just going to be the Video on Demand stuff that's in 1080p, at least for now. That would be slick if all of their HD channels had 1080p programming.
Yeah and like 1 movie a month. Keep in mind that "on demand" means it's downloaded locally on your tuner before you can watch it. Unless you've got your tuner hooked into a live internet connection it can't do "on demand" any other way.

They could easily do all channels in 1080p but you'd have to wait for shows to download before you could watch them. It'll get there eventually, just not for a couple of more years at least.

Dish is advertising 150+ HD channels by years end.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 07:18 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Yeah and like 1 movie a month. Keep in mind that "on demand" means it's downloaded locally on your tuner before you can watch it. Unless you've got your tuner hooked into a live internet connection it can't do "on demand" any other way.

They could easily do all channels in 1080p but you'd have to wait for shows to download before you could watch them. It'll get there eventually, just not for a couple of more years at least.

Dish is advertising 150+ HD channels by years end.
I eat that shit up. I've got the Top 250, HD Gold, and HD Platinum. No movie channels. No DVR. I never do the on-demand thing either. I'll be stoked when they add more HD channels and extremely stoked when they broadcast in 1080p.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
a good write up on HD Lite (compression) if anyone cares:

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...le_secret/C176
I read a similar article on avs forums. It seems that Comcast is heavily compressing their channels to provide more content. There quality has degraded so much they are losing customers right and left.

There is a guy on one of those forums that uses some really elaborate software to show high res screenshots and bit rates of Comcast vs. other providers. Comcast is compressing around 25%-30%. They are pretty much forced to do that running over coax. They don't have the virtually unlimited bandwidth that FIOS does over fiber. And all a satellite provider has to do to add bandwidth is turn up another transponder. DISH already has plans to launch another satellite to provider more HD bandwidth later this year. My DISH HD looks fantastic on most channels. And DISH DVR is the best our of everybody. My form FIOS DVR sucked so bad it was one the reasons I got rid of FIOS and went to DISH. Everytime they push through an update on my box it deleted all my content. It also glitched all the time using the menu. And customer service was horrible. I also had Comcast and they sucked sans their cable internet.

However, DISH (for me) has been problem free, great customer service, and the Dual room DVR holds 350 hours of programming and it works perfect. The UHF remote is probably the coolest aspect of it. My DISH service doesn't go out when it rains.

Quote:
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 AM
dead

cool.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:00 PM
11-05-09

Fios FTW!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I have actually noticed a difference in fast action sequences after the "Turbo Charged HD" software upgrade. The new codecs are making it appear smoother during quick moving scenes with less macro-blocking and noise. We also gained some more HD channels along with 1080p on demand.

I'm really impressed with my Dish service, especially the 722 DVR.

I'm watching women's olympic volleyball on HD and there is almost no noticeable blocking when they serve. That was not the case before the software upgrade.

Quote:
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 06:55 AM
yes, jluv

My HD locals through the Dish look better since the upgrade. I used to notice an improvement pulling them down through an antenna since they get compressed through Dish, but now it's tough to see much difference.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
My HD locals through the Dish look better since the upgrade. I used to notice an improvement pulling them down through an antenna since they get compressed through Dish, but now it's tough to see much difference.

You upgraded to the new receiver?
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 12:53 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1
You upgraded to the new receiver?
I upgraded receivers several months ago.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I upgraded receivers several months ago.

I see... I am not going to pay the $150 upgrade fee to get the new receiver, if this one will work with a firmware upgrade according to tech support.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 10:09 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1
I see... I am not going to pay the $150 upgrade fee to get the new receiver, if this one will work with a firmware upgrade according to tech support.
I have one 222 and two 211s. When I saw the "TurboHD" commercials, I called Dish and they told me that I already had it (because I had all their HD package stuff already) and that I wouldn't need to change any equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement