Dish Network will broadcast in 1080p - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
Dish Network will broadcast in 1080p

http://news.digitaltrends.com/news-a...ork-hits-1080p

http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/1:gizm...891c07215b0792

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 05:36 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,422
I get all the 1080p I want through torrents on Charter. Thinking about jumping back over to Dish though since it seems there is no way my DVR will ever work properly again.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
BP is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Lifer
 
Mark04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 1,136
I left Charter because of the POS HDDVR. I had 4 and all of them were garbage. Dish's PVR is better in alot of ways.

generic signature
Mark04 is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:46 AM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
From everything else I've read about it, it's just going to be the Video on Demand stuff that's in 1080p, at least for now. That would be slick if all of their HD channels had 1080p programming.
jluv is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
That's fine and dandy but Fios is the ONLY ONE that doesn't compress the signal anymore than what it's fed to them at.





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:17 AM
PVC Racing
 
musclestang89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: DFW
Posts: 9,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
That's fine and dandy but Fios is the ONLY ONE that doesn't compress the signal anymore than what it's fed to them at.
yep but not everyone can get Fios , like myself

"Less talkie talkie more ping pong"
musclestang89 is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Plano
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
That's fine and dandy but Fios is the ONLY ONE that doesn't compress the signal anymore than what it's fed to them at.
true. i have fios but unfortunately there are not a whole lot of HD channels right now.

This is supposed to change after 8/25 when they eliminate the analog channels. Customers in other states that have already had their analog channels removed and have gotten somewhere between 80 - 100 HD channels shortly afterwards. i look forward to the beginning of september.

'01 Bullitt #0054
bullitt54 is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:59 PM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54
true. i have fios but unfortunately there are not a whole lot of HD channels right now.

This is supposed to change after 8/25 when they eliminate the analog channels. Customers in other states that have already had their analog channels removed and have gotten somewhere between 80 - 100 HD channels shortly afterwards. i look forward to the beginning of september.

I didn't think they had a lot either, but a look at their lineup on the website lists a bunch. i was trying to figure out which ones i have that fios doesn't.
jluv is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 03:47 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
 
Sgt Beavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
That's fine and dandy but Fios is the ONLY ONE that doesn't compress the signal anymore than what it's fed to them at.
FIOS sucks dick.....





cause I can't get it

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sgt Beavis is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:17 PM
dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,611
a good write up on HD Lite (compression) if anyone cares:

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...le_secret/C176
momo stallion is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
From everything else I've read about it, it's just going to be the Video on Demand stuff that's in 1080p, at least for now. That would be slick if all of their HD channels had 1080p programming.
Yeah and like 1 movie a month. Keep in mind that "on demand" means it's downloaded locally on your tuner before you can watch it. Unless you've got your tuner hooked into a live internet connection it can't do "on demand" any other way.

They could easily do all channels in 1080p but you'd have to wait for shows to download before you could watch them. It'll get there eventually, just not for a couple of more years at least.

Dish is advertising 150+ HD channels by years end.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
BP is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 07:18 AM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Yeah and like 1 movie a month. Keep in mind that "on demand" means it's downloaded locally on your tuner before you can watch it. Unless you've got your tuner hooked into a live internet connection it can't do "on demand" any other way.

They could easily do all channels in 1080p but you'd have to wait for shows to download before you could watch them. It'll get there eventually, just not for a couple of more years at least.

Dish is advertising 150+ HD channels by years end.
I eat that shit up. I've got the Top 250, HD Gold, and HD Platinum. No movie channels. No DVR. I never do the on-demand thing either. I'll be stoked when they add more HD channels and extremely stoked when they broadcast in 1080p.
jluv is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
a good write up on HD Lite (compression) if anyone cares:

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...le_secret/C176
I read a similar article on avs forums. It seems that Comcast is heavily compressing their channels to provide more content. There quality has degraded so much they are losing customers right and left.

There is a guy on one of those forums that uses some really elaborate software to show high res screenshots and bit rates of Comcast vs. other providers. Comcast is compressing around 25%-30%. They are pretty much forced to do that running over coax. They don't have the virtually unlimited bandwidth that FIOS does over fiber. And all a satellite provider has to do to add bandwidth is turn up another transponder. DISH already has plans to launch another satellite to provider more HD bandwidth later this year. My DISH HD looks fantastic on most channels. And DISH DVR is the best our of everybody. My form FIOS DVR sucked so bad it was one the reasons I got rid of FIOS and went to DISH. Everytime they push through an update on my box it deleted all my content. It also glitched all the time using the menu. And customer service was horrible. I also had Comcast and they sucked sans their cable internet.

However, DISH (for me) has been problem free, great customer service, and the Dual room DVR holds 350 hours of programming and it works perfect. The UHF remote is probably the coolest aspect of it. My DISH service doesn't go out when it rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 AM
dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,611
cool.
momo stallion is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:00 PM
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
Fios FTW!
Osiris is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
I have actually noticed a difference in fast action sequences after the "Turbo Charged HD" software upgrade. The new codecs are making it appear smoother during quick moving scenes with less macro-blocking and noise. We also gained some more HD channels along with 1080p on demand.

I'm really impressed with my Dish service, especially the 722 DVR.

I'm watching women's olympic volleyball on HD and there is almost no noticeable blocking when they serve. That was not the case before the software upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 06:55 AM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
My HD locals through the Dish look better since the upgrade. I used to notice an improvement pulling them down through an antenna since they get compressed through Dish, but now it's tough to see much difference.
jluv is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Lifer
 
2K2 LS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: HOA Hell!!!!
Posts: 7,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
My HD locals through the Dish look better since the upgrade. I used to notice an improvement pulling them down through an antenna since they get compressed through Dish, but now it's tough to see much difference.

You upgraded to the new receiver?
2K2 LS1 is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 12:53 AM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1
You upgraded to the new receiver?
I upgraded receivers several months ago.
jluv is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Lifer
 
2K2 LS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: HOA Hell!!!!
Posts: 7,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
I upgraded receivers several months ago.

I see... I am not going to pay the $150 upgrade fee to get the new receiver, if this one will work with a firmware upgrade according to tech support.
2K2 LS1 is offline  
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 10:09 AM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1
I see... I am not going to pay the $150 upgrade fee to get the new receiver, if this one will work with a firmware upgrade according to tech support.
I have one 222 and two 211s. When I saw the "TurboHD" commercials, I called Dish and they told me that I already had it (because I had all their HD package stuff already) and that I wouldn't need to change any equipment.
jluv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome