Best Buy tech hook up? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Best Buy tech hook up?

I'm not even sure what the protocol is on this, but I have a plasma I bought from best buy about 18 months ago that decided it didn't want to play anymore
I lost 1/2 the screen (solid black - as in no power). The other 1/2 is still there and display is fine.

Where's my 60,000 hours?!

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 07:15 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Ouch, hope you get it sorted out.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Fixed or flying through the front window for resolution

Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 07:22 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Did you try punching the screen?

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GT50
Did you try punching the screen?
Not yet. The last TV that gave me shit (it was ~6 yrs old) got treated to a morning firearms run.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Time Served

What brand / model Plasma?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
Not yet. The last TV that gave me shit (it was ~6 yrs old) got treated to a morning firearms run.
Let me know when that happens, I'll help.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Insignia, Model # NS42PDP

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 AM
dead

did you ever lay that bitch flat while moving it?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Insignia, Model # NS42PDP
Insignia...who convinced you that was a good idea?
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
Yea. I heard you are supposed to let it sit for 24 hrs if you lay it flat. Something about oil in the kompressur.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:02 AM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up
Yea. I heard you are supposed to let it sit for 24 hrs if you lay it flat. Something about oil in the kompressur.

shit i buy plasma displays just to plug them in and lay them down. i'm really sticking it to the man.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
I used it as a table once, but didn't think it would be a big deal

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Insignia...who convinced you that was a good idea?
I know I know. I went cheap. This was just a general living room TV to replace an old tube style TV. With little kids running around and touch the screen, I didn't really want to jump out and get a high dollar one that would see finger prints and what not.

I won't make the mistake again.

My Xbox is going to get lonely until this is handled.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:23 AM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Thats odd... I have the same tv with no problems. That particular tv is actually LG, so its not like its a cheapy completely.

The 60,000 hours to half life is a rating based on the gases in the pixels. Not the video board, sound board, power supply, control board, etc...

Did you buy the PSP?

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZMO
Thats odd... I have the same tv with no problems. That particular tv is actually LG, so its not like its a cheapy completely.

The 60,000 hours to half life is a rating based on the gases in the pixels. Not the video board, sound board, power supply, control board, etc...

Did you buy the PSP?

I'm thinking this would have been a really good idea about now.

I thought insignia was Toshiba?

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Thumbs up

I believe SOHC works for worst buy. PM him.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Boss

Insignia is a Best Buy brand just like Dynex, if it was under the 1 year warranty still then you could get it fixed and or replaced. But it seems that doesn't apply here, and without a service plan you may be out of luck.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Should have gone with better stuff!! I install Worst Buy's insignia car audio "shit" all of the time and all it never ends up working out very good. Always sounds and functions like "shit" Best of luck, hit up "pinks" on hwy 80 if you want to pay to have it repaired. Looks like a dump, but they are cheap and do good work.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremestang92
Should have gone with better stuff!! I install Worst Buy's insignia car audio "shit" all of the time and all it never ends up working out very good. Always sounds and functions like "shit" Best of luck, hit up "pinks" on hwy 80 if you want to pay to have it repaired. Looks like a dump, but they are cheap and do good work.
I think this has already been addressed. I'm really dissatisfied with Best Buy and the way they've been through this entire situation.

I was told by a store tech in Mckinney to 'just bring it in' and when I showed up the mgr told me tough shit. I was told the 'in area' service call was $89 only to find out it's $165 just to have them come out

I left the TV at my MIL's to keep it in area, so I don't take another $150 up the ass.

Better shit or not, my last tube tv lasted almost 8 years.

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 07:06 PM
B-WIZ

Quote:

I thought insignia was Toshiba?

Its funny you mention this, because their operating systems look similar to me. I don't think it is, but I'll look into it tomorrow. The only name brand Insignia that I ever knew of was a 42" and 50" 720p plasma. They were made by LG. Best Buy still sells the 50" at some places, but it was last year's, so its on clearance. Right now, as far as I know, there is no name brand products under the Dynex and Insignia names.

Oh and IMO the Toshiba stuff (TVs) that BBY sells all sucks balls.

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.

Last edited by KOZMO; 08-12-2008 at 08:16 AM.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 08:17 AM
B-WIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZMO
Its funny you mention this, because their operating systems look similar to me. I don't think it is, but I'll look into it tomorrow. The only name brand Insignia that I ever knew of was a 42" and 50" 720p plasma. They were made by LG. Best Buy still sells the 50" at some places, but it was last year's, so its on clearance. Right now, as far as I know, there is no name brand products under the Dynex and Insignia names.

Oh and IMO the Toshiba stuff (TVs) that BBY sells all sucks balls.

Yea so after checking. The computers say that Toshiba comes from Toshiba America and that most of insignia is "XOCECO"

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Well, the geek squad tech basically told me I was SOL on getting it fixed cheap as they don't carry parts for either Dynex or Insignia because they can't be sure which manufacturer kicked it out.

Gratefully the guy talked to me prior to coming out which saved me $165 service call, + $89 shipping plus repair. He told me it was be $400 on the cheap or up to $1000 if the screen needed to be replaced.

Talked to the mgr of the store I bought it at and he told me he'd knock off a fair amount on a new TV to help me out a little bit, but couldn't do anything on the old one.

Coming soon: "What a plasma looks like that made Sean angry"

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Professional Driver

Check with an independent repair shop that provides OEM service for MAJOR brands - if it was made by LG, Toshiba, Sony.. whoever, they may be able to cross reference the parts to the name brand and be able to successfully troubleshoot/repair the set.

I've done it before and I'd look at it for you, but you probably don't want to haul it to Abilene.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 07:40 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Well, the geek squad tech basically told me I was SOL on getting it fixed cheap as they don't carry parts for either Dynex or Insignia because they can't be sure which manufacturer kicked it out.

Gratefully the guy talked to me prior to coming out which saved me $165 service call, + $89 shipping plus repair. He told me it was be $400 on the cheap or up to $1000 if the screen needed to be replaced.

Talked to the mgr of the store I bought it at and he told me he'd knock off a fair amount on a new TV to help me out a little bit, but couldn't do anything on the old one.

Honestly dude, when it's 6 months out of warranty, that sounds like they are being completely fair with you. When you consider how hard they try to push those extended warranties on you, I think they are in their right to snub you when you decline it and have problems outside of the standard warranty. If they did anything for you it would cost them money because the manufacturer isn't going to do shit for them. That said, I still don't buy extended warranties on electronics. I'll buy name brand and take my chances that if it does take a dump, it will do it within the first year.

Blow that shit up and get you a new one. Post pics!
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Very Interesting

I have a general rule of thumb, if it costs more than 500 bucks, buy the warranty, or shell out another 500 when it breaks

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 09:40 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:

Sounds like a GTG to me! haha

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Honestly dude, when it's 6 months out of warranty, that sounds like they are being completely fair with you. When you consider how hard they try to push those extended warranties on you, I think they are in their right to snub you when you decline it and have problems outside of the standard warranty. If they did anything for you it would cost them money because the manufacturer isn't going to do shit for them. That said, I still don't buy extended warranties on electronics. I'll buy name brand and take my chances that if it does take a dump, it will do it within the first year.

Blow that shit up and get you a new one. Post pics!
I'll park a van leaking oil in front of your driveway!

I somewhat agree, but the guy I bought it from said not to sweat the warranty.

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Professional Driver

Quote:
I somewhat agree, but the guy I bought it from said not to sweat the warranty.
He knew you'd be back for another one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement