Nice Home Receiver - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Nice Home Receiver

So I have a 12% Best Buy coupon, a bunch of Reward Zone certificates, and they are doing free interest for two years on purchases over $999. I've been using a decent Onkyo 7.1 HTIB for a few years now and it's been fine, but I'd like to upgrade to something better and move the older one into another room. I'm not in a rush to get the second room set up, so I could start with a nice receiver and piece together a high end sub and speakers later while using the Onkyo set in the meantime. There are a few features that I know I want, and I just figured some of you cats could recommend a couple of nice units that would fit the bill. Yes, I am set on buying it at BB, and I think their top three are Yamaha, Pioneer, and Denon. The NRH store has a Magnolia room, so I'll make my purchase there. If I have forgotten any brands they carry there that would be worth a look, please remind me.

It must have:
TrueHD audio
THX certified
3 HDMI inputs
1080p video switching and full HDMI processing for audio (not just pass-through)
Plenty of clean power
Black casing

It would be nice if it had:
On-screen display
The ability to connect my Ipod and control it (search for songs, etc) from the receiver's remote
XM/Sirius ready
Some way to network it wirelessly to my PC (Windows Vista/Media Center)
Outputs for a second pair of speakers (to hook up outside)

I'd like to keep it around the $1k mark, but if I can get a good one for a little less, I'd spend the extra dough on a badass universal remote. I'm open to hear recommendations on those as well.

I'll do speakers later when I'm ready to drop another grand (or more), so no need for suggestions on those yet.

Specific models numbers instead of just a brand preference would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Time Served

http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?...il=1&ext_war=1

refurb Onkyo TX-SR705 $499.00

if you register a new shoponkyo account and then register your old receiver and give it a review it knocks off like another $15.

I had a bunch of onkyo points and got mine for like $450 shipped.

You really aren't going to find a better value than that.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54
http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?...il=1&ext_war=1

refurb Onkyo TX-SR705 $499.00

if you register a new shoponkyo account and then register your old receiver and give it a review it knocks off like another $15.

I had a bunch of onkyo points and got mine for like $450 shipped.

You really aren't going to find a better value than that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've always liked Onkyo, and that seems like a very nice unit for a good price, but I'm leary about not having a factory warranty since it's refurbished. I'd consider buying that one new, but BB doesn't sell Onkyo. At the refurb price, I'd just pay cash, but I'd hate to get stuck with a paperweight or have to pay for repairs within a year.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Founding Member

I have a Denon 3803 and it has been great. I would like to have the Denon 3808

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 AM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Thanks for the suggestion. I've always liked Onkyo, and that seems like a very nice unit for a good price, but I'm leary about not having a factory warranty since it's refurbished. I'd consider buying that one new, but BB doesn't sell Onkyo. At the refurb price, I'd just pay cash, but I'd hate to get stuck with a paperweight or have to pay for repairs within a year.

it will come with a 1 year parts and labor warranty from shoponkyo.com. it's a nice unit at a great price but IMO with your tastes, i think you will want something a bit more hifi. too bad it will cost you!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
it will come with a 1 year parts and labor warranty from shoponkyo.com. it's a nice unit at a great price but IMO with your tastes, i think you will want something a bit more hifi. too bad it will cost you!
Good to know about the warranty. I read ssomething on there that said the warranties only apply to new units, but I was just skimming over it.

Ya, I'd like to have something pretty nice in the house. I guess it's kind of sad to have spent so much on my vehicle's A/V setup while I'm just using a HTIB in my living room.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Good to know about the warranty. I read ssomething on there that said the warranties only apply to new units, but I was just skimming over it.

Ya, I'd like to have something pretty nice in the house. I guess it's kind of sad to have spent so much on my vehicle's A/V setup while I'm just using a HTIB in my living room.
i think when you order it you have an option of getting an extended warranty. shoponkyo.com is onkyo, so you are getting it direct from the manufacturer, not some shady place that just slaps stuff back together and resells it on the internet.

i've had my unit since january and haven't had a single problem with it yet.

they do give you a 1yr parts and labor warrranty. new units are 2 years.

you can also buy an extended warranty for it for $65, but i'm not sure how long it extended the warranty.
http://www.shoponkyo.com/addtocart.c...XSR705&type=10

i didn't bother to get it when i bought mine.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
i think when you order it you have an option of getting an extended warranty. shoponkyo.com is onkyo, so you are getting it direct from the manufacturer, not some shady place that just slaps stuff back together and resells it on the internet.

i've had my unit since january and haven't had a single problem with it yet.

they do give you a 1yr parts and labor warrranty. new units are 2 years.

you can also buy an extended warranty for it for $65, but i'm not sure how long it extended the warranty.
http://www.shoponkyo.com/addtocart.c...XSR705&type=10

i didn't bother to get it when i bought mine.
Do you know if it does on-screen display or controls an Ipod?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 AM
dead

Quote:

well shit, if it's just a HTIB speaker set this receiver is perfectly fine. i'm guessing you just want more video input versatility by upgrading receivers? this unit will upconvert all your existing stuff to one HDMI out so its kick ass for that reason.

as far as the iPod control, the receiver will not control the ipod by itself. onkyo makes an ipod dock which runs about $100 that allows you to control the ipod and it does have a GUI. be warned the GUI is FUGLY. i own it and i dont use the display.

i'm guessing the GUI on the receiver is no better. as of last year, only sony made a nice display that knew of.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
well shit, if it's just a HTIB speaker set this receiver is perfectly fine. i'm guessing you just want more video input versatility by upgrading receivers? this unit will upconvert all your existing stuff to one HDMI out so its kick ass for that reason.

as far as the iPod control, the receiver will not control the ipod by itself. onkyo makes an ipod dock which runs about $100 that allows you to control the ipod and it does have a GUI. be warned the GUI is FUGLY. i own it and i dont use the display.

i'm guessing the GUI on the receiver is no better. as of last year, only sony made a nice display that knew of.
I'll only use the HTIB sub and speakers on the new receiver for a couple of months at the longest. I'm just not going to invest in both a receiver and separates at the same time. I will definitely do better speakers then and use the entire Onkyo HTIB in another room.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Time Served

it has on screen display but for some reason it doesn't show it through hdmi sources (hdmi in > hdmi out). i think it's because HDCP protects hdmi sources and they can't overlay an OSD (on screen display) without breaking hdcp. It might just be that i'm an idiot and it is some option in the receiver but i haven't found it yet.

If i have something that is component in > hdmi out or composite in > hdmi out, then it will show the OSD on the tv.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

So I went by BB on my lunch break. The first two folks, while nice enough, weren't able to really get detailed in their comparison talks bewteen the models they had on display in the Magnolia room. I was disappointed, and no further towards narrowing things down, but then the manager showed up and really knew his stuff. They only had one Yamaha in the Magnolia room, which was surprising, so I would have liked to see more of those, but oh well.

I'm going to look up a few of the model numbers and read reviews and compare specs further, but it looks like from the selection they have at BB, it will be between the Denon 3808 and 4308, Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH and VSX-94TXH, and the Yamaha 1800 and 3800.

The Denons were more expensive for what seemed like the same features. Is there a real reason for that? Are they that superior in SQ? The Yamaha was just ugly as all get out. I've never owned Pioneer stuff, but they were by far the best looking units. This guy was a Denon fan but went with the Pioneer Elite 92TXH instead, and was able to confirm and talk directly about some of the features on it, and made it sound pretty nice.

If anyone has any first-hand experience with any opf those models listed above or could tell me why one is better than another, I'm all ears.

Part of me is actually leaning back towards doing another HTIB if I can find one that has the full HDMI switching capabilities and TrueHD. I've been happy enough with the sound of the current one I have, and it would be nice to not have to spend a lot on speakers later, and to instantly have two full setups in two different rooms. I know separate stuff would sound "better", but a couple grand better? I just don't know. It's not like what I have totally sucks.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Lifer

My Yamaha HTIB worked out great, after playing more with it, the more I like it.

I messed with it more and the HDMI is video and audio pass through. I have been more then happy with it. Only has two HDMI though. It is the 5.1 version though. Maybe the 7.1 has a few more features.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Founding Member

By the stuff you have in your Explorer I dont see how you would be happy with a htib.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 12:49 PM
dead

Quote:
So I went by BB on my lunch break. The first two folks, while nice enough, weren't able to really get detailed in their comparison talks bewteen the models they had on display in the Magnolia room. I was disappointed, and no further towards narrowing things down, but then the manager showed up and really knew his stuff. They only had one Yamaha in the Magnolia room, which was surprising, so I would have liked to see more of those, but oh well.

I'm going to look up a few of the model numbers and read reviews and compare specs further, but it looks like from the selection they have at BB, it will be between the Denon 3808 and 4308, Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH and VSX-94TXH, and the Yamaha 1800 and 3800.

The Denons were more expensive for what seemed like the same features. Is there a real reason for that? Are they that superior in SQ? The Yamaha was just ugly as all get out. I've never owned Pioneer stuff, but they were by far the best looking units. This guy was a Denon fan but went with the Pioneer Elite 92TXH instead, and was able to confirm and talk directly about some of the features on it, and made it sound pretty nice.

If anyone has any first-hand experience with any opf those models listed above or could tell me why one is better than another, I'm all ears.

Part of me is actually leaning back towards doing another HTIB if I can find one that has the full HDMI switching capabilities and TrueHD. I've been happy enough with the sound of the current one I have, and it would be nice to not have to spend a lot on speakers later, and to instantly have two full setups in two different rooms. I know separate stuff would sound "better", but a couple grand better? I just don't know. It's not like what I have totally sucks.
from previous experience Denon has some of the best SQ as far as all in one amplifiers go but the trade off was price and what i thought was shitty user functionality like their remote control.

pioneer elite makes some great units. You would just have to compare specs between them and Denon.

I don't have any experience with Yamaha's higher end stuff, only their HTIB stuff. I would rate them essentially the same as Onkyo.

You may want to check out some of harmon kardon stuff if you can find a deal, i just dont know anyone that sells them anymore. I always felt like they had some of the best power + SQ for the money.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:01 PM
dead

as far as buying another HTIB, i wouldnt. I think HTIBs are a great start but if you get the itch (which it seems you have cause you are trying to replace one already) then start slowly buying separate speakers.

Start with 2 fronts towers, then add a powered sub, then a very nice center and finally rears. One thing about a quality set of speakers is that they do not get outdated. I wouldn't be afraid of buying a high quality expensive 2nd hand speakers as long as the owner isn't a clown since you can get really nice stuff for next to nothing.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

From what I can find, it doesn't look like Yamaha has any 7.1 HTIB offerings.

So far, from looking at specs and reviews, I am really leaning towards the Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:10 PM
dead

oh one last thing before i get back to studying...

dont spend too much money on a receiver! it's the first thing that gets outdated every time the industry declares a better method sending digital data. look how fast fiber optic / digital coaxial / component video / DVI got outdated. isn't there already talks of hdmi's replacement?

but look at speakers... there is no drastic redesign of the analog speaker every year so your money is best spent on that.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
oh one last thing before i get back to studying...

dont spend too much money on a receiver! it's the first thing that gets outdated every time the industry declares a better method sending digital data. look how fast fiber optic / digital coaxial / component video / DVI got outdated. isn't there already talks of hdmi's replacement?

but look at speakers... there is no drastic redesign of the analog speaker every year so your money is best spent on that.
True. I love my speakers but would now like hdmi switching that my 3803 doesnt do.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Time Served

I have a Pio Elite in my media room and have no complaints. For the price they are hard to beat.

We have sold and installed a handfull of them this year and customers love them. Great sound and the iPod interface is very easy to use. Ipod Video's look and sound good as well.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

The Onkyo HT-S5100 is calling my name. 7.1 HTIB with 3 HDMI inputs, 1080p switching via HDMI (but I would still need to connect audio cables), 140w per channel, full IPOD control and even comes with the dock. It doesn't support TrueHD, isn't THX certified, and doesn't have some of the other fancy features of the Elites. I'm sure it won't sound quite as good, but man the price difference makes it hard to justify spending $1000+ on a receiver and then as much or more on speakers. CC has it for $469, and I bet I could get them to honor the BB coupon, making it $413. Hmmm....
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Time Served

I bought my mom a Onkyo 505 and I hate that it does HDMI switching but I still have to connect an optical cable for audio. I wish I would have paid more attention when I bought it originally. The whole point of HDMI was video and audio on one cable.

Just a personal pet peeve of mine, if it doesn't bother you then go for it, it's a good price.

edit...

also, i know like 6 years ago when I bought a Onkyo HTIB setup from Circuit City that you could trade up the receiver (just pay the difference). If you can get that HTIB setup and upgrade to a 605 that's what I would do. (the 605 doesn't need seperate audio cables)

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
I bought my mom a Onkyo 505 and I hate that it does HDMI switching but I still have to connect an optical cable for audio. I wish I would have paid more attention when I bought it originally. The whole point of HDMI was video and audio on one cable.

Just a personal pet peeve of mine, if it doesn't bother you then go for it, it's a good price.

edit...

also, i know like 6 years ago when I bought a Onkyo HTIB setup from Circuit City that you could trade up the receiver (just pay the difference). If you can get that HTIB setup and upgrade to a 605 that's what I would do.
To me, the whole point of HDMI is to carry 1080p signal. Audio over HDMI is nice, but adding a cable is no big deal since I have several optical cables anyway. Without HDMI switching, I currently have to switch the input on the receiver AND the television itself whenever I watch Bluray movies or play PS3 games. This new one will allow me to use the one HDMI input on the TV and switch everything at the receiver with one button. I think TrueHD requires HDMI for audio, but this receiver doesn't do TrueHD anyway.

I do like the idea of trading up to a better receiver and paying the difference, but I don't know if they will do that for me since the HTIB comes together. I'll ask them, though.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 05:21 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

I have the Onkyo 705 and it will do all you are wanting. Of course with the iPod and Sat stereo you will have to purchase additional pieces, but it can be done. And it can all be controled via on screen display.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Well, I said "screw it" and went with the Onkyo HT-S5100. It's 7.1, 140 w/channel, does HDMI switching with 3 inputs, came with the Ipod dock, and is Sirius ready. CC honored their online price in the store and also matched the BB coupon, so I got it for $419. I just couldn't pass that up. I also picked up the Logitech Harmony One. It's sweet!

One of these days I'll break down and buy a high-end receiver and start piecing together a nice HT system, but this will suffice for now. I'm still building/upgrading my system in the truck, and that's my real passion when it comes to electronics anyway.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Ah shit. I just found out that the Harmony One won't control the PS3 since the PS3 is Bluetooth only. It's worthless to me, then. The asshole at CC was telling me all about how he owned one and uses it on his PS3. What a liar. It's going back today.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 08:04 AM
dead

Quote:
Ah shit. I just found out that the Harmony One won't control the PS3 since the PS3 is Bluetooth only. It's worthless to me, then. The asshole at CC was telling me all about how he owned one and uses it on his PS3. What a liar. It's going back today.

i bought a harmony 550 for $50 on amazon. not sure what the harmony one has that makes it cost $250 but i know it doesnt do bluetooth so i wouldnt spend the money on it.

the harmony 550 does everything i need and does a good job at it. the ps3 controller is good enough for me, i guess i can deal with using 2 controllers.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
i bought a harmony 550 for $50 on amazon. not sure what the harmony one has that makes it cost $250 but i know it doesnt do bluetooth so i wouldnt spend the money on it.

the harmony 550 does everything i need and does a good job at it. the ps3 controller is good enough for me, i guess i can deal with using 2 controllers.
Hell, I wouldn't even spend $50 on a universal remote if it doesn't control all of my electronics. That shit's going back with a quickness.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Time Served

Quote:

We have installed SEVERAL Harmony remotes with PS3's (mostly H1000's). Although I am not a huge fan of the Harmony Line up. Most any IR universal remote controls can work with the PS3, all you need is a little extra part...

http://www.schmartstuff.com/ps3irpr3.html

or

http://www.schmartstuff.com/sony-ps3-ir-upgrad.html

We have always used the pro version and so far everyone of them we have used works perfect. It even comes with instructions for programing the harmony remote. I have talked to the guy that produces them as well and he is very helpful with answering any questions.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Got Stripes?; 07-29-2008 at 08:25 AM.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripes?
We have installed SEVERAL Harmony remotes with PS3's (mostly H1000's). Although I am not a huge fan of the Harmony Line up. Most any IR universal remote controls can work with the PS3, all you need is a little extra part...

http://www.schmartstuff.com/ps3irpr3.html

or

http://www.schmartstuff.com/sony-ps3-ir-upgrad.html

We have always used the pro version and so far everyone of them we have used works perfect. It even comes with instructions for programing the harmony remote. I have talked to the guy that produces them as well and he is very helpful with answering any questions.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info!

The non-Pro version won't power the PS32 on though. That's interesting that the Pro will. The other devices out there that I've come across (while searching this AM) won't turn it on or off.

I don't think I'm willing to spend a total of $350 for this combo. I'm taking this thing back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement