My $219 Magnavox Blu-ray Player (Review) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thumbs up My $219 Magnavox Blu-ray Player (Review)

I didn't want to go real expensive on a Blu-ray since I already have enough sunk into my HT. And I already have an excellent Sony upscaling HDMI DVD player. This was so cheap I figured what the hell. I got this brand new in the box off eBay for $219 shipped. It retails for $298 at wallyworld. I believe it is the first sub $300 retail Blu-ray on the market.

It's a Magnavox NB500MG9 Blu-ray profile 1.1. However, it is made by Funai and they make the majority of all the players for Denon. The chipset is rumored to be Panasonic and the loader is Sony. The Insignia and Slyvania are also made by Funai for different companys. They are the same player with only minor variations. This player will output everything from 480i to 1080p/24

I put in a HDScape Blu-ray sampler disc to test it out. I also put in a Harry Potter Blu-ray disc. The picture and sound are superb. Looks the same if not a little better than a Sony BDP-S301. The reviews on this say it won't play DVD-R media, but it plays mine just fine. It upscales regular DVDs really well. The lossless TruHD clip on the sampler disc is amazing even at low volume. I have it connected with a HDMI 1.3 cable.

I feel sorry for the people who spend $500 - $1500 on these things. It's not necessary for the average viewer. There is always a better machine, but I'm satisfied. My only complaint is the case itself looks like it was made in 1979. Not the best regarding aesthetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.

Last edited by Mustangman_2000; 07-25-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 PM
IA2

I've been waiting for the $200 blu ray player. Looks like it is getting pretty close. I'll bet by christmas we'll see them everywhere.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:53 PM
NES Crew

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangol
Yep.

I was hoping HD DVD would win just simply because there players and titles were a lot cheaper. However, Blu-ray won the war and if I want to see new releases in Hi-Def I had to start sleeping with the enemy.

It looks good though and it was affordable, so all is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement