Car audio setup question - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
iHustle
 
Cmarsh93z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: where that Elk and those trees mix
Posts: 8,769
Car audio setup question

Just got a small system in my Civic and had a question. Currently I am running a PPI amp for Diamond Audio 600a Hex components up front, and a JBL 1200.1 amp running a JL 12W6 in a sealed box. The JL is a beast, nice and clear with that amp/wattage....but I want to add 2 8's on a seperate amp in the system to help fill out that nice punch for drums, ect. How would i integrate this into the system the best. Do I need to run a crossever to split the signals before they get to the amps? Should I run the 8's off the rear channels or the sub output? Thanks for helping me into the right direction

Chris
93Z
Cmarsh93z is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 06:53 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,422
Those Diamonds should have more than enough mid range punch. I'd spend money on sound deadening and maybe some Dynaxorb before looking at another amp and some small subs.

How much power is the PPI throwing at them and where are the crossover settings at?

I've got 260 watts per channel of Audison power going to my D971s and they sound great.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
BP is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:25 AM
dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
How would i integrate this into the system the best. Do I need to run a crossever to split the signals before they get to the amps? Should I run the 8's off the rear channels or the sub output? Thanks for helping me into the right direction
it depends a little on the head unit. i know with my alpine HU i had the ability to set the frequency range per preout.

im guessing you just want more fill from 80hz-160hz? i would just use the rear channel out so you can tweak them independent of your fronts/subs from your head unit.


but i agree with BP. you should have enough speaker in that little car to have good frequency range coverage!
momo stallion is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:54 AM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Running different sized subs isn't the right way to do it. Focus on getting the most midbass you can from your components. Deadening the crap out of the doors should make a noticeable difference. Play with the crossover settings and see if the mids will do okay with a lower setting. Possibly even set the crossover a tad higher for your subs to see if you like how it sounds that way. Maybe you just need more power up front? Punchy midbass is typically the toughest part of a system to reproduce, but unless you're going to install 8" midbass drivers (not subwoofers) properly up front with your mids/highs and send them the appropriate frequency range, you're not going to get the results you're looking for. That 12w6 will do everything that 8" subwoofers will do and then some.
jluv is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
iHustle
 
Cmarsh93z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: where that Elk and those trees mix
Posts: 8,769
Thanks for the suggestions...I will play with the crossover points and dynamatt the door. I am running 150watts RMS to the front components sets, and they sound really good...but I admit, I haven't played with the amp settings since transfering it over from my truck with the other system and a different speaker set. The only reason I was thinking about 8's is that nick has a set in his truck that have HUGE midrange punch, but lack the lowend that the 12 has. Was thinking that the 8's and a 12 would be a perfect matchup.

Chris
93Z
Cmarsh93z is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 08:21 AM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Thanks for the suggestions...I will play with the crossover points and dynamatt the door. I am running 150watts RMS to the front components sets, and they sound really good...but I admit, I haven't played with the amp settings since transfering it over from my truck with the other system and a different speaker set. The only reason I was thinking about 8's is that nick has a set in his truck that have HUGE midrange punch, but lack the lowend that the 12 has. Was thinking that the 8's and a 12 would be a perfect matchup.
His most likely sounds that way because he doesn't have the powerful low end that your 12 does, so you hear the "punchier" bass more clearly. Yours has that same sound, but it's not as noticeable because you also have a better low end. Even if you add a pair of 8" subs, they likely won't bring in more of that sound you're looking for as long as that 12 is still playing. If you're going to add speakers, do dedicated midbass drivers and send them 50-250hz. Good luck with that install though. I've been wanting to do that myself but just have nowhere to put them without doing some serious cutting.
jluv is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:05 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing
 
EW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 9,226
Audio control 6XS, another amp, and 8" that will play up to 250Hz. Use the highpass front output on the 6XS for components 250and up. Use the bandpass front out for the amp driving the 8" 70ish to 250ish. enjoy.
JL offers a new infinite baffle 8" mid bass ZR800. Midbass is the hardest range to reproduce in a car system. You can also run the sub crossover higher and on music it will probably sound fine.
EW is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
Audio control 6XS, another amp, and 8" that will play up to 250Hz. Use the highpass front output on the 6XS for components 250and up. Use the bandpass front out for the amp driving the 8" 70ish to 250ish. enjoy.
JL offers a new infinite baffle 8" mid bass ZR800. Midbass is the hardest range to reproduce in a car system. You can also run the sub crossover higher and on music it will probably sound fine.
Exactly what I was going to say... Chris, you need a 3 way crossover, highs I would run from 200ish, maybe 180, run the 8s at 70-wherever the highs take over and the sub from 70 down. I have this setup in my porsche. I run my 12W6 from 71 down, the mid bass from 71-450, and my 4s from 450 up... but I have 6.5" mid bass mini subs, and 4" mid range, so you would want to cross much lower with 8s and 6.5"s... 250 like Eric said should be ball park... I'd try 200.

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKD
Exactly what I was going to say... Chris, you need a 3 way crossover, highs I would run from 200ish, maybe 180, run the 8s at 70-wherever the highs take over and the sub from 70 down. I have this setup in my porsche. I run my 12W6 from 71 down, the mid bass from 71-450, and my 4s from 450 up... but I have 6.5" mid bass mini subs, and 4" mid range, so you would want to cross much lower with 8s and 6.5"s... 250 like Eric said should be ball park... I'd try 200.
...what a shitty system... buy some new shit man, jeez...

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/needlesharp/bevisandbuthead.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
NeedleSharp is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleSharp
...what a shitty system... buy some new shit man, jeez...
LOL it's 16 years old man, what can I say. Still sounds better than any system I have heard to date.

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ft. Worth
Posts: 86
You're building your system the wrong way. If you purchased the proper equipt. you wouldn't need to buy another sub of a different size. You need tuning most it sounds like. Feel free to swing it by the shop and I will have it properly tuned by computer. Takes about an hour maybe 2 depending on the accessibility of your amp/amps and things of that nature. Let me know........Car Toys, Ft. Worth- Cody
xtremestang92 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome