opinions on 5.1 processor/amp for car - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
dead

opinions on 5.1 processor/amp for car

i asked in the other thread but that got turned into a brand name thing so here is a new one.

does anyone have any experience with multi-channel amps such as the alpine mra-d550? rather than hook up my old stuff, i want to sell it and get a w505 head unit and the mra-d550 amp connected via fiber optic cable.

im okay with the wattage being on the lower side, but how is the overall SQ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 08:37 PM
yes, jluv

I don't use that amp, but I've used the W200 and W205 with the optical cable to a processor. It's a lot easier than running RCAs and is technically a better way to carry the signal, but I cannot comment on the SQ of that particular amp. I now have the W505, and just to let you know, you cannot simply run an optical cable anymore. Alpine got clever and made the connection on the deck a proprietary connection, so you need a special cable with that plug on one end and an optical plug on the other. I've been waiting a long time for that cable to come out and it finally hit this week. I'm sure EW can get you one. He can probably comment more on that amp you're asking about as well.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Alpine got clever and made the connection on the deck a proprietary connection, so you need a special cable with that plug on one end and an optical plug on the other. I've been waiting a long time for that cable to come out and it finally hit this week. I'm sure EW can get you one. He can probably comment more on that amp you're asking about as well.

damn, that figures! i like the alpine w505 unit a lot but i've comtemplated for a long time to do a mac mini plus touchscreen monitor instead of a traditional head unit.

the mac mini would give me the benefit of adding navigation with a simple usb antenna and map software. i could even add a tv tuner card for kicks, or back up camera if i wanted . itunes + video would be simple too.

EW, any feedback on this amp?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:13 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
the mac mini would give me the benefit of adding navigation with a simple usb antenna and map software. i could even add a tv tuner card for kicks, or back up camera if i wanted . itunes + video would be simple too.

You can do Nav, camera, TV tuner, USB, etc with the Alpine units as well, but you'll probably spend more in the end.

I've been wanting a carputer (or car PC, whatever they are calling it nowadays) for a long time, but as interested/savvy as I am with car audio, I know very little about computers and have just never been very good with them. I honestly believe that they will be the standard in vehicles (even from the factory) in a few years. You can store all of your media right there on the hard drive. You can do nav, TV, internet, 7.1, view pictures... the possibilities are endless. I think when they start putting them in vehicles from the factory they will also tie into the vehicle diagnostics, records, security, and all kinds of other information about what's going on with the vehicle itself.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
You can do Nav, camera, TV tuner, USB, etc with the Alpine units as well, but you'll probably spend more in the end.

I've been wanting a carputer (or car PC, whatever they are calling it nowadays) for a long time, but as interested/savvy as I am with car audio, I know very little about computers and have just never been very good with them. I honestly believe that they will be the standard in vehicles (even from the factory) in a few years. You can store all of your media right there on the hard drive. You can do nav, TV, internet, 7.1, view pictures... the possibilities are endless. I think when they start putting them in vehicles from the factory they will also tie into the vehicle diagnostics, records, security, and all kinds of other information about what's going on with the vehicle itself.

it's really pretty simple from what i gathered. the setup i thought about doing was:

mac mini = $600. (intel core 2 duo chip, 80 GB hd, wifi, bluetooth, cd/dvd, bunch-o-ports, mini optical).

GPS software plus usb gps receiver is less than $100.
HDTV tuner cards (which feature AM/FM) are about $50.

a company (carnetix) even went as far as making a prebuilt a/c to d/c converter you can wire in specifically for that unit. it features soft power off which resolves the concern over hard power on and offs. $30

the only thing that is tough is the screen. you can get 6,7,or 8" tft lcd touch screens anywhere between 200-400 dollars but im just not sure the quality of the picture of the accuracy of the touch screen.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
it's really pretty simple from what i gathered. the setup i thought about doing was:

mac mini = $600. (intel core 2 duo chip, 80 GB hd, wifi, bluetooth, cd/dvd, bunch-o-ports, mini optical).

GPS software plus usb gps receiver is less than $100.
HDTV tuner cards (which feature AM/FM) are about $50.

a company (carnetix) even went as far as making a prebuilt a/c to d/c converter you can wire in specifically for that unit. it features soft power off which resolves the concern over hard power on and offs. $30

the only thing that is tough is the screen. you can get 6,7,or 8" tft lcd touch screens anywhere between 200-400 dollars but im just not sure the quality of the picture of the accuracy of the touch screen.
Easy enough probably if you know what half of that stuff means. lol
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:31 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

I have never used that amp but 60x5, optical in, built in processor, etc and affordable. Just add a sub amp and you're done. I have not read the manual for the amp but it looks like only a few decks can control it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
I have never used that amp but 60x5, optical in, built in processor, etc and affordable. Just add a sub amp and you're done. I have not read the manual for the amp but it looks like only a few decks can control it.

cool. i might give it a go, depends if i can sell the other stuff off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement