What am I doing wrong here? (Home surround) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Genetically Blessed

What am I doing wrong here? (Home surround)

I'm setting up our living room electronics, but I'm running into a problem with the surround sound. I am running the coax from the wall to our cable box, then from the cable box to our TV. I'm running the RCA jacks a/v from the DVD player to our TV. Then, I'm running Audio out from the TV to the receiver/surround. The DVD audio and video is coming fine to the TV and playing and getting audio on the tv speakers, but nothing is coming from the receiver/surround. (cable or dvd) I can set it to radio stations and it plays and sounds awesome, but I can't get any sound from the television. I'm sure I'm missing something really simple, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 AM
is chilaxing

Does Cable and DVD box have an extra audio out (ex...digital,optic), if so use that to hook up to receiver. Or if you don't want extra cables, hook video to TV and audio to receiver.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 AM
yes, jluv

Yep, just run video to the TV and treat it as a monitor. Run all of your sound directly to the receiver. If you can, run all of your audio and video through the receiver and then just have one video output from the receiver to the TV.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:45 AM
is chilaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Yep, just run video to the TV and treat it as a monitor. Run all of your sound directly to the receiver. If you can, run all of your audio and video through the receiver and then just have one video output from the receiver to the TV.

I guess everyone is different. I listen from TV on regular TV shows. Good sports game on, video games, movies, I play from receiver.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 12:31 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa
I guess everyone is different. I listen from TV on regular TV shows. Good sports game on, video games, movies, I play from receiver.
I know other people that do that as well, but I've never understood why.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Hamilton Racing Ownz U

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
I'm setting up our living room electronics, but I'm running into a problem with the surround sound. I am running the coax from the wall to our cable box, then from the cable box to our TV. I'm running the RCA jacks a/v from the DVD player to our TV. Then, I'm running Audio out from the TV to the receiver/surround. The DVD audio and video is coming fine to the TV and playing and getting audio on the tv speakers, but nothing is coming from the receiver/surround. (cable or dvd) I can set it to radio stations and it plays and sounds awesome, but I can't get any sound from the television. I'm sure I'm missing something really simple, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
do you have the input on the amp from the output of the TV in a certain setting on the amp? Sometimes you have to turn that input on in the setup of the amp... Also, make sure you are on the right setting, like if you have it on TV on the input, make sure the amp says TV on the front. I know it sounds funny, but I've seen it happen.

What amp do you have?

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 10:52 AM
lol, this place sucks now

As mentioned, there are better ways to hook that stuff up (provided you have the right input/outputs on your equipment).

To answer your question though, you may have to 'turn on' the audio output jacks on the television somewhere in the menu. There may also be a physical switch on the back of the tv to allow the output jacks to be enabled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement