What am I doing wrong here? (Home surround) - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Genetically Blessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: An Investment Bank
Posts: 13,733
What am I doing wrong here? (Home surround)

I'm setting up our living room electronics, but I'm running into a problem with the surround sound. I am running the coax from the wall to our cable box, then from the cable box to our TV. I'm running the RCA jacks a/v from the DVD player to our TV. Then, I'm running Audio out from the TV to the receiver/surround. The DVD audio and video is coming fine to the TV and playing and getting audio on the tv speakers, but nothing is coming from the receiver/surround. (cable or dvd) I can set it to radio stations and it plays and sounds awesome, but I can't get any sound from the television. I'm sure I'm missing something really simple, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
slow99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 AM
is chilaxing
 
Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,760
Does Cable and DVD box have an extra audio out (ex...digital,optic), if so use that to hook up to receiver. Or if you don't want extra cables, hook video to TV and audio to receiver.
Rafa is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 AM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Yep, just run video to the TV and treat it as a monitor. Run all of your sound directly to the receiver. If you can, run all of your audio and video through the receiver and then just have one video output from the receiver to the TV.
jluv is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:45 AM
is chilaxing
 
Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Yep, just run video to the TV and treat it as a monitor. Run all of your sound directly to the receiver. If you can, run all of your audio and video through the receiver and then just have one video output from the receiver to the TV.

I guess everyone is different. I listen from TV on regular TV shows. Good sports game on, video games, movies, I play from receiver.
Rafa is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 12:31 PM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa
I guess everyone is different. I listen from TV on regular TV shows. Good sports game on, video games, movies, I play from receiver.
I know other people that do that as well, but I've never understood why.
jluv is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
I'm setting up our living room electronics, but I'm running into a problem with the surround sound. I am running the coax from the wall to our cable box, then from the cable box to our TV. I'm running the RCA jacks a/v from the DVD player to our TV. Then, I'm running Audio out from the TV to the receiver/surround. The DVD audio and video is coming fine to the TV and playing and getting audio on the tv speakers, but nothing is coming from the receiver/surround. (cable or dvd) I can set it to radio stations and it plays and sounds awesome, but I can't get any sound from the television. I'm sure I'm missing something really simple, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
do you have the input on the amp from the output of the TV in a certain setting on the amp? Sometimes you have to turn that input on in the setup of the amp... Also, make sure you are on the right setting, like if you have it on TV on the input, make sure the amp says TV on the front. I know it sounds funny, but I've seen it happen.

What amp do you have?

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 10:52 AM
lol, this place sucks now
 
ClockwrkOrangeS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: DFWMustangs.net
Posts: 13,422
As mentioned, there are better ways to hook that stuff up (provided you have the right input/outputs on your equipment).

To answer your question though, you may have to 'turn on' the audio output jacks on the television somewhere in the menu. There may also be a physical switch on the back of the tv to allow the output jacks to be enabled.
ClockwrkOrangeS4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome