Home theatre questions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Home theatre questions

I just bought a new yamaha 5.1 reciever and speakers.

Before getting this I just had my DVD player and my DVR box connecting to the TV via HDMI cables.

I like the ease of use and don't want to have the reciever on any time I want to watch tv or watch a dvd without cranking up the volume.

What I did was take an optic cable from the TV to the reciever to get the sound to the reciever for the suround sound. I poped in a movie and the surround works and if I manually put it in dolby II it works fine, but the Dolby Digital light will not come on. Do I need to go directly to the reciever then to the TV on all my inputs to get full capability?

Again I don't want to have to turn the reciever on every time I watch TV.

Thanks
BJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Iamwaxman!

Give it a shot and see if it works. It may just pass through when the receiver is off.

Nick
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 02:44 PM
yes, jluv

Why not have the receiver on every time?

I treat my TV as a monitor and the receiver handles all of the sound.

I know a few other people that insist on doing it your way as well, but I have never understood why.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Give it a shot and see if it works. It may just pass through when the receiver is off.

Nick
well it works how I have it, I would love to go through the reciever for all my inputs but the reciever has to be on for that to work. Just don't want to have it on all the time.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Why not have the receiver on every time?

I treat my TV as a monitor and the receiver handles all of the sound.

I know a few other people that insist on doing it your way as well, but I have never understood why.

I don't know I thought of doing it both ways too. I just don't know
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:11 PM
is chilaxing

I have mine hooked up both ways from DirectTV receiver.....HDMI to TV, optical to stereo receiver. I use TV only for just regular TV shows. Sports games/video games/movies I use stereo.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:12 PM
lol, this place sucks now

What are you asking?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:20 PM
is chilaxing

When it's a Dolby Digital signal, I think the stereo tells you it's that signal. I guess he wants it to show that.

To OP,
Does your DVD player have a opical out, and does your receiver have a optical in? If it does, just plug the optical between them instead from TV. See if that works. Don't know if DVD player will send audio from both outputs at same time.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa
When it's a Dolby Digital signal, I think the stereo tells you it's that signal. I guess he wants it to show that.

To OP,
Does your DVD player have a opical out, and does your receiver have a optical in? If it does, just plug the optical between them instead from TV. See if that works. Don't know if DVD player will send audio from both outputs at same time.

Wouldn't the stereo have to be on to see the light come on?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 04:25 PM
is chilaxing

Well, if the stereo doesn't receive a "Dolby Digital" signal, it doesn't show that signal. It will just show some default audio setting on stereo. Like on mine, when it is receiving that digital signal, it actually says, "Dolby Digital", if it does not, it just shows default setting. Mine would show something like, Cinema/Music or something like that, which is not a "Dolby Digital" signal.

Someone correct me it that's wrong.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

So my best option right now would be to have my tv box go to both and have my game console and dvd player plug directly into the reciever.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej
So my best option right now would be to have my tv box go to both and have my game console and dvd player plug directly into the reciever.
Your best option would be to run everything to the receiver and use it for sound and the TV as a monitor as someone suggested, but ...

If you send an HDMI signal to the TV, it'll carry both picture and sound to the TV. The TV will not decode DD, so the "pass through" signal to the amp will only be Pro Logic (2/3 channel grade). If you want true digital sound, you need to run cables between the DVD/Cable box to the receiver. My setup at home is much like you described, but I have multiple monitors. I send an RGB signal to my projector since it doesn't have an HDMI input and my amp will switch RGB signals, so all video and sound run through receiver. I also plug the DVD and satellite DVR to the TV via HDMI. If I turn the receiver on, set the input mode to TV, and watch a DVD, it won't play a DD signal. If I switch the receiver to DVD mode, it plays DD sound and I see an HDMI signal on the TV or a 720p RGB signal on my projector. Does that make sense?

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 08:33 AM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl
Your best option would be to run everything to the receiver and use it for sound and the TV as a monitor as someone suggested, but ...
pretty much.

redundant wiring.
send hdmi into tv for audio and video from tv.
send optical/dig. coax into receiver for audio from receiver.

most tvs suck for passthrough.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 08:37 AM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
pretty much.

redundant wiring.
send hdmi into tv for audio and video from tv.
send optical/dig. coax into receiver for audio from receiver.

most tvs suck for passthrough.

Most tvs dont even do pass through. The optical out on tv is for your over the air tuner.

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZMO
Most tvs dont even do pass through. The optical out on tv is for your over the air tuner.

ok so its prolly just passing through regular signal.

What I need to do is run an HDMI for the cable box to the TV for regular viewing, then use a component out for the cable box, dvd, and ps2 to the reciever. Is that my best option.

My reciever does have HDMI pass through, but it is video only, does that mean I still need an audio source from my dvd to the reciever?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:

What I need to do is run an HDMI for the cable box to the TV for regular viewing, then use a component out for the cable box, dvd, and ps2 to the reciever. Is that my best option.

My reciever does have HDMI pass through, but it is video only, does that mean I still need an audio source from my dvd to the reciever?
The receiver should only pass through a video signal. Why would it send audio too? I may, but I don't see a point. Further, I bet in only does pass through if turned on, but again I could be wrong. If your receiver has HDMI capabilities, then it switches inputs too. If it were me, I'd plug everything (video and audio) into the receiver and ALWAYS use it for sound. Then plug one HDMI cable from receiver to the TV and let the receiver just switch everything (video and sound). If you are plugging HDMI from say DVD to receiver, then you shouldn't need an optical cable too. If you go DVD to TV and then to receiver, then yes you will need an optical cable.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:

No. The best option would be to turn the speakers on your TV completely off and use your surround sound receiver for all of your sound. You can turn it down or even set it to stereo playback if you just have some kind of thing against surround sound. Even this way, it will sound much better than the built-in speakers in your TV.

Quote:
Basically, yes. You still need to run an optical (or digital coax) cable from the source to the receiver in addition to the HDMI. They do make better receivers that do true HDMI "switching" (not just "pass-through") and they will take the sound from the HDMI cable and process it correctly. This just makes for simpler wiring and easier control from the remote. Also, HDMI will carry a full 7.1 signal and support TrueHD, but don't worry about that anyway since your receiver is not on that level.

With your setup, I would run HDMI and optical cables from each source (DVD player, satellite box, game system, etc) output directly to your receiver inputs and then run an HDMI cable from your receiver output to your TV input. Program your receiver remote to power your TV on and off, and if you can, to change channels on the satellite box and control the DVD player as well. Use your surround sound receiver every time you watch anything. The only thing I ever do to my TV is turn it on and off.

EDIT: With the PS2, I don't think you can do HDMI. You can still get a cable that connects from the PS2 to component video inputs (red/green/blue) on the receiver, and couple that with the optical audio cable.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 AM
dead

Quote:

hdmi pass through means your receiver wont process HDMI audio, it will simply act as a video switcher.

here is how you should set up your system based on what you wanted.

HDMI from your cable box to your tv. optical/dig coax to receiver. (gives you audio and video on your tv. gives you audio to your receiver in case you want surround)

component (RGB) from your dvd to your tv. optical/dig coax to receiver. (not sure if you want audio to your tv from the dvd, if you do, add rca stereo cables to tv)

component (RGB) from your PS2 to your tv. optical/dig coax to receiver. (not sure if you want audio to your tv from the dvd, if you do, add rca stereo cables to tv)

this is what i would suggest instead of that method:
Quote:
No. The best option would be to turn the speakers on your TV completely off and use your surround sound receiver for all of your sound. You can turn it down or even set it to stereo playback if you just have some kind of thing against surround sound. Even this way, it will sound much better than the built-in speakers in your TV.

With your setup, I would run HDMI and optical cables from each source (DVD player, satellite box, game system, etc) output directly to your receiver inputs and then run an HDMI cable from your receiver output to your TV input. Program your receiver remote to power your TV on and off, and if you can, to change channels on the satellite box and control the DVD player as well. Use your surround sound receiver every time you watch anything. The only thing I ever do to my TV is turn it on and off.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:

Basically, yes. You still need to run an optical (or digital coax) cable from the source to the receiver in addition to the HDMI. They do make better receivers that do true HDMI "switching" (not just "pass-through") and they will take the sound from the HDMI cable and process it correctly. This just makes for simpler wiring and easier control from the remote. Also, HDMI will carry a full 7.1 signal and support TrueHD, but don't worry about that anyway since your receiver is not on that level.

EDIT: With the PS2, I don't think you can do HDMI. You can still get a cable that connects from the PS2 to component video inputs (red/green/blue) on the receiver, and couple that with the optical audio cable.

Ok that sounds like the best option. My reciever remote can control the tv, not sure about the cable box though.

So I will run hdmi, and optical from dvd, and cable box to the reciever, and run hdmi to the tv for video, and turn the tv speakers off.

I already have a component cable for the ps2.

Sounds like I need to buy a couple optical cables and one more hdmi to get it all done, but I want it to work the best and most efficient.

Thanks for the help.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:27 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl
If you are plugging HDMI from say DVD to receiver, then you shouldn't need an optical cable too. If you go DVD to TV and then to receiver, then yes you will need an optical cable.
Most of the entry-level stuff nowadays does HDMI pass-through, which means if you connect a DVD player (for example) to your receiver using an HDMI cable, it will send the video through to the TV, but it will not process the sound coming through the HDMI cable. You still have to connect an audio cable. It's really a pain in the butt, imo.

Once you step up a little in price, you get receivers with true HDMI switching, and they will send video to the TV and also process the audio from the HDMI cable. There is no need for an additional optical cable with this setup.

This is my understanding. I could have it mixed up.

My current receiver does not do HDMI pass-through or switching. I've been in the market (sort of, just browsing) for something new and there is a definite price jump between the two, and I think this is why. If someone can confirm or correct me, it would be much appreciated.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:34 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
hdmi pass through means your receiver wont process HDMI audio, it will simply act as a video switcher.

here is how you should set up your system based on what you wanted.

HDMI from your cable box to your tv. optical/dig coax to receiver. (gives you audio and video on your tv. gives you audio to your receiver in case you want surround)

component (RGB) from your dvd to your tv. optical/dig coax to receiver. (not sure if you want audio to your tv from the dvd, if you do, add rca stereo cables to tv)

component (RGB) from your PS2 to your tv. optical/dig coax to receiver. (not sure if you want audio to your tv from the dvd, if you do, add rca stereo cables to tv)

this is what i would suggest instead of that method:

I'm curious as to why you would run all of your video directly to the TV? Then, every time you want to change your source, you have to switch the input on the TV itself (for video) and on the receiver (for audio). I know some claim that you get a better picture going directly from the source to the TV, but I have tried it both ways and can't tell a difference. I think a decent receiver will send the video through just fine and that way you only have to switch the inputs at the receiver and it will change over your audio and video all at once.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Time Served

Why would you not want the receiver on when the TV is on?

If you use the receiver correctly, you can have a one-button power on of the whole system, volume, and input selection. A fancy remote gets you channel surfing on the same remote as well. Pushing all through the receiver is the simplest way and the way this stuff is built to work.

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:46 AM

I'm confused as hell and I do this shit everyday. LOL
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:47 AM
dead

Quote:
I'm curious as to why you would run all of your video directly to the TV? Then, every time you want to change your source, you have to switch the input on the TV itself (for video) and on the receiver (for audio). I know some claim that you get a better picture going directly from the source to the TV, but I have tried it both ways and can't tell a difference. I think a decent receiver will send the video through just fine and that way you only have to switch the inputs at the receiver and it will change over your audio and video all at once.

oh i never would personally thats why i second your suggestion. i was just trying to do it on beej's original criteria of using the tv for audio without the receiver. the setup i wrote would allow him to use either/or with any of the devices he had.

that was a similar setup my parents used to have before i upgraded their stuff and gave them a harmony now with the harmony its simple and they use their equipment like i would.

i personally run everything through my receiver. my receiver was pretty high end but its 4-5 years old so like you i dont have HDMI. i want a new receiver but cant justify spending a grand so I just added a remote switch for 30 bux.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 10:03 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
oh i never would personally thats why i second your suggestion. i was just trying to do it on beej's original criteria of using the tv for audio without the receiver. the setup i wrote would allow him to use either/or with any of the devices he had.

that was a similar setup my parents used to have before i upgraded their stuff and gave them a harmony now with the harmony its simple and they use their equipment like i would.

i personally run everything through my receiver. my receiver was pretty high end but its 4-5 years old so like you i dont have HDMI. i want a new receiver but cant justify spending a grand so I just added a remote switch for 30 bux.
Oh, okay. Now I understand. Ya, my girlfriend's dad bought a new 1080p TV, Onkyo 7.1 receiver, and some pretty nice Polk speakers about a year ago. This was all new for him and a steep learning curve since he was coming from a really old setup with standard-def satellite, a VCR, an older (not progressive scan) DVD player, and a "surround sound" receiver that literally just sent stereo signal to front and rear speakers, with the fronts being towers with subs in them. That was his idea of "surround sound". Hey, it got loud! lol

He asked me to hook everything up for him, but he insisted that I make it to where he can just use his TV speakers and leave the receiver off when he wants. After going over there several times, I've noticed that he rarely ever uses the receiver. I think it's just too new school for him to accept, even though once I sit down I turn his good stuff on and it sounds so much better. Of course, he also refuses to upgrade to HD satellite because the receiver he uses now displays the guide a certain way and he bought that receiver with his own money several years ago (instead of taking what the sat provider wanted to give/lease to him). Ha! This sat receiver of his is like 6 years old and still just has red/white/yellow RCAs on the back. It doesn't even have S-video! But he's stubborn and won't change it. He even had me connect his old VCR and a dual cassette deck that looks like it came out of an old tower system. I got everything working. He did upgrade his DVD player to a progressive scan model, but I think he resents the rest of his new stuff. It's weird. I did hook up an antenna so he can at least get local stuff in HD that way.

He doesn't hear very well, and when he watches a movie, he complains that the sound isn't playing very loud from the rear and side speakers. I've tried to explain 5.1 to him and how most of the stuff comes from the front and that the rear and side speakers are working just fine. I usually just give up and put it on "all channel stereo" and just crank it for him. Old guys are funny sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement