Lightweight flat panel? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Lightweight flat panel?

I may be in the market for a very lightweight LCD monitor, at least 32", no larger than 42". I don't need a built-in tuner or a bunch of fancy inputs and outputs. One HDMI input would be nice, and one set of RCA inputs would be great. 1080p would be a bonus, but I might consider 720p or 1080i if the cost is significantly cheaper. The main concern is weight.

I notice that my 22" LCD computer monitor is extremely light. Besides just being bigger, is there another reason that the 40-42" TVs are so much heavier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Time Served

Sent PM
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Boss

What is the main need behind the TV being light weight?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Professional Driver

As the LCD panels get bigger they are more likely to be damaged due to the panel flexing, therefore the manufacturer's are putting in bracing. Normally this bracing is aluminum but it is still pretty thick to maintain strength.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTbasher
What is the main need behind the TV being light weight?

It would be going in a vehicle. I'd prefer to mount it from the roof and not have to add a ton of bracing. I may mount it to the floor instead, or some type of custom center console, but I still want it to be light so it doesn't sway as much on whatever type of mount I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn
As the LCD panels get bigger they are more likely to be damaged due to the panel flexing, therefore the manufacturer's are putting in bracing. Normally this bracing is aluminum but it is still pretty thick to maintain strength.
Well, I definitely need it to stand up to flexing, jarring, and vibrations. It would go in a daily driver and the ride is pretty harsh due to the lowered suspension.

I am trying to avoid making a big console/wall the width of my truck. I really want to mount this to where it's "floating". It would sit right behind the front seats. The rear bench seats are being replaced with buckets and moved back about 10" or so.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but the finished project will look badass and clean if I can just get it securely mounted where it doesn't move around on me.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:09 AM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

and you'll have to peel me out of the back seat! hook it up to the net and we'll fuck some online gaming up!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthreeohz
and you'll have to peel me out of the back seat! hook it up to the net and we'll fuck some online gaming up!
The idea is to get a 1080p monitor and have a PS3 in there for watching Bluray movies and playing games. All of the rear windows will get another layer of limo tint so it will stay dark in that mofo at all times. Satellite TV may come later, but I don't know about the internet thing.

My seats are done and paid for, I just have to go pick them up!

Anyone know of a good metal fab shop that can slap together some custom brackets for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement