Cable / Internet question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Cable / Internet question

I've got Cable internet set up through Timewarner ( yes I know it sucks but it's my only choice). For the past 2 years I haven't had a TV and haven't had a need for cable of any type. My parents gave me a TV this weekend and told me I should get Direct TV and just go with their basic package to save some money over Time Warner digital cable. Now I know that all regular cable is going away and you'll need a converter box of some sort of digital cable but im not worried about that right now.

Last night I decided to unplug my internet and hook my TV up to the same connection to see if I got a signal, in which I did. I've got basic 60 ot 70 channel cable.

Will I be able to buy some sort of splitter to split that signal so that I don't have to unplug the tv or internet every time i want to use one or the other?

I found this and wanted to see if it would work...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1110262781904

Or this?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1184768166710

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Time Served

Either one should work for what you are trying to do, I would definately recomend the Monster version as people that use the cheaper coax splitters complain about the Time Warner internet connection dropping out from time to time and poor picture qaulity.

Last edited by Got Stripes?; 07-01-2008 at 11:32 AM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripes?
Either one should work for what you are trying to do, I would definately recomend the Monster version as people that use the cheaper coax splitters complain about the Time Warner internet connection dropping out from time to time and poor picture qaulity.

Ok cool, my next question is will there be any way for them to tell if I'm using the signal for tv instead of internet?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
Ok cool, my next question is will there be any way for them to tell if I'm using the signal for tv instead of internet?
They don't put that much effort into it I promise, and they would not care anyway basic cable is FREE to all subscribers.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
They don't put that much effort into it I promise, and they would not care anyway basic cable is FREE to all subscribers.
That's just not true.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Very Interesting

either way, if you don't pay for the basic service and they find out you are using it, they will charge you for it.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
either way, if you don't pay for the basic service and they find out you are using it, they will charge you for it.
He won't get back-billed for the theft of service; he'll just be warned and have a filter placed on his line removing the channels.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
He won't get back-billed for the theft of service; he'll just be warned and have a filter placed on his line removing the channels.
Wierd, I got backbilled, when they found a splitter on mine outside the house. They removed it, and billed me a month's service. I called them and told them the splitter was just because I moved the modem into another room, they told me not to use a splitter and credited the month.

That's when I decided on DirecTV

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
Wierd, I got backbilled, when they found a splitter on mine outside the house. They removed it, and billed me a month's service. I called them and told them the splitter was just because I moved the modem into another room, they told me not to use a splitter and credited the month.

That's when I decided on DirecTV

Can I not just use a splitter on the inside? Basically have a coax running from the jack into the splitter and a coax running from each side of the splitter to the tv and modem?

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Lifer

Yes - it will degrade your services however. The modem should have an independent line under the best-case scenario. It is still theft of service either way.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Yes - it will degrade your services however. The modem should have an independent line under the best-case scenario. It is still theft of service either way.

So how can they tell if they're sending a signal to my apartment for internet that happens to be the same signal for cable service? What tells them that hey he doesn't have this hooked up to a computer, instead he's got it hooked up to a tv?

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
So how can they tell if they're sending a signal to my apartment for internet that happens to be the same signal for cable service? What tells them that hey he doesn't have this hooked up to a computer, instead he's got it hooked up to a tv?

They cant tell unless you had NO signal and then are all the sudden getting cable, but since you are paying for it to get into your home, they cannot tell if there is no physical evidence or box inside. Not condoning it mind you.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04
They cant tell unless you had NO signal and then are all the sudden getting cable, but since you are paying for it to get into your home, they cannot tell if there is no physical evidence or box inside. Not condoning it mind you.
Cool, that's what I was thinking.

Oh and guys I'm just asking for informational purposes....yeah that's it....

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

That monster splitter is garbage sorry and thats coming from a former tech from twc. Find yourself a tech and ask him for a two way more then likely he'll just give it to you, and grant is correct it is theft of service. They probably wont ever find out but that doesn't change the fact that it's theft of service. First check your signal levels on the modem if you know how, the upstream transmit is the one you worry about really, keep it below 49 if you can, the splitter will add 4 dbmv to the upstream transmit power.

and in a way they can tell if your modem doesn't poll every so often it will fail to bloc sync eventually when you try and reconnect it.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Lifer

Yes, it can be found.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted20v

and in a way they can tell if your modem doesn't poll every so often it will fail to bloc sync eventually when you try and reconnect it.
How would that be any different then if say I justed turned off the power to it when I'm not using it?

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I'm not saying it will happen right away, but it will happen.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Lifer

The more likely scenario is your area will be audited and they'll just go out to your ped and audit the entire complex/neighborhood and place filters where they should be.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Time Served

Quote:
That's just not true.
Sorry that is what Time Warner told me, as long as you are not connecting to an STB its free with ANY cable service subsciption.

If I was lied to I apologize for misleading anyone. We don't run into this very often as you can imagine.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Sorry that is what Time Warner told me, as long as you are not connecting to an STB its free with ANY cable service subsciption.

If I was lied to I apologize for misleading anyone. We don't run into this very often as you can imagine.
I'm highly surprised they told you that. However, no CATV service is not free with the subscription of any other service - data included. It is just reduced - ie, bundling.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Time Served

I have actually been told that by TWC a few times on seperate occasions, as I have been an TWC cable subscriber for about 6 years (formally Comcast). The first time I heard of it being free was the tech that brought me my STB's actually connected a few TV's for me that way (RF strait to TV) and said it was FREE as long we had a basic subcription. I used this for the TV in the garage and guest bedrooms for the longest time as I did not want to pay for additional STB's....

Have not even tried this in a few years since the move to HD, but assumed it was the same way.

anyway, sorry again for the bad info.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Lifer

What IS true about your statement is if you currently pay for a CATV package, then extra analog outlets (that don't require STB's) are free - provided you pay for the cable package.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Ok so since I'm not subscribed to a CATV package but instead an internet package how do the two differ? To me it seems like the same signal being sent to my apartment, just it goes through a modem instead of a cable box. Also, if i'm just paying for the basic internet package and I upgraded to the faster one, would I get a different signal sent to my apartment? If it is a different signal would it have more channels if i plugged my TV in?

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Time Served

Quote:
What IS true about your statement is if you currently pay for a CATV package, then extra analog outlets (that don't require STB's) are free - provided you pay for the cable package.

gotcha did not realize that you could have one w/out the other.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Ok so since I'm not subscribed to a CATV package but instead an internet package how do the two differ? To me it seems like the same signal being sent to my apartment, just it goes through a modem instead of a cable box. Also, if i'm just paying for the basic internet package and I upgraded to the faster one, would I get a different signal sent to my apartment? If it is a different signal would it have more channels if i plugged my TV in?
No. Analog gives you channels 2-99 with no STB. There are 2 specific filters that should be placed outside at your pedestal, depending upon which level of service you subscribe to. There is the basic and then the standard. Based on what it sounds like, you're getting the standard channels which is the most you can get without a STB.

Increasing your speed will not change your signal, it will simply replace your modem's bin file at the office and allow you more speed.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
No. Analog gives you channels 2-99 with no STB. There are 2 specific filters that should be placed outside at your pedestal, depending upon which level of service you subscribe to. There is the basic and then the standard. Based on what it sounds like, you're getting the standard channels which is the most you can get without a STB.

Increasing your speed will not change your signal, it will simply replace your modem's bin file at the office and allow you more speed.

Oh ok I gotcha... oh and what the STB stand for?

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Lifer

set top box (digital box)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement