what's a decent video camera for under a grand? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

what's a decent video camera for under a grand?

Just like the title says, what's a decent video camera for under a grand right now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 07:54 AM
yes, jluv

You can likely get one of the HD cams with a built-in hard-drive for around a grand. I was looking at them a couple of months ago and they were around $1100-$1300 at the time for a nice one.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

I bought a Sony DCR-DVD108 DVD Handycam for less than $300 back in December. It records on re-recordable mini DVD's, which have limited recording time (30 min), but I keep a few around so it hasn't been a problem.

I've been very pleased with the camera. Easy to transfer the movies to your computer.

I looked at the HD cams, but my only complaint is the picture quality doesn't seem to match up with hi-8 or DVD cameras.

Chuck
2001 Black Bullitt (For Sale)
2009 Black JK Unlimited X, M6, 35's
www.imboc.com
Rob (Tweakd) Memorial 3/13/05

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 08:30 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I bought a Sony DCR-DVD108 DVD Handycam for less than $300 back in December. It records on re-recordable mini DVD's, which have limited recording time (30 min), but I keep a few around so it hasn't been a problem.

I've been very pleased with the camera. Easy to transfer the movies to your computer.

I looked at the HD cams, but my only complaint is the picture quality doesn't seem to match up with hi-8 or DVD cameras.
By HD I was referring to HD resolution, either 1080i or 1080p. So the picture would be much better than the cheaper cams. Of those, you can still get them with the tapes, DVDs, or built-in hard-drives.

I've used both the mini-DV (tapes) and mini-DVD (small disks) and both were very user-unfriendly. It's just too much hassle transferring the stuff over to regular DVDs, and with the small disks, you have to format and finalize and all of that bullshit. It's just a pain in the ass, imo. After dealing with the other options, I wouldn't buy a camera nowadays that doesn't record directly to a built-in hard drive. And if you have $1000 to spend on a camera, you might as well go with something that records in HD.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
By HD I was referring to HD resolution, either 1080i or 1080p. So the picture would be much better than the cheaper cams. Of those, you can still get them with the tapes, DVDs, or built-in hard-drives.

I've used both the mini-DV (tapes) and mini-DVD (small disks) and both were very user-unfriendly. It's just too much hassle transferring the stuff over to regular DVDs, and with the small disks, you have to format and finalize and all of that bullshit. It's just a pain in the ass, imo. After dealing with the other options, I wouldn't buy a camera nowadays that doesn't record directly to a built-in hard drive. And if you have $1000 to spend on a camera, you might as well go with something that records in HD.
Gotcha! Yea, I didn't look at Hi Def cams.

Chuck
2001 Black Bullitt (For Sale)
2009 Black JK Unlimited X, M6, 35's
www.imboc.com
Rob (Tweakd) Memorial 3/13/05
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Just ordered a Cannon Vixia HF10 from newegg. It seems pretty decent. Records HD, internal flash memory, and an external SD card.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...view-34711.htm
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 02:01 PM
yes, jluv

Looks like it got a pretty good (and very in-depth) review. Let me know how you like it after you get some time with it. I'm in the market for something just like that. Thanks, and congrats on the new camera!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 07:02 AM
dead

Quote:
i havent used too many new camcorders recently but i have used mini-dv and mini-dvd in the past and im kinda wanting an HD camcorder. personally i dont like having to hook up a camcorder to a computer just to burn the video to a disk. i dont have a firewire port and my comp is pretty slow and video stuff is kind of intensive so that rules out mini-dv for me.

that's why i liked mini-dvd. i mainly use it at the track so i like that it makes a track everytime i hit record. when im done i can just hit finalize and throw it in a dvd or computer. mini-dvd is good with me except its pretty poor for trying to do HD. (can you even do HD on mini-dvd?)

do the hard drive camcorders still have to use firewire to stream video off or does it work like connecting a mass storage device where you can just pull down the video clips as files?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
i havent used too many new camcorders recently but i have used mini-dv and mini-dvd in the past and im kinda wanting an HD camcorder. personally i dont like having to hook up a camcorder to a computer just to burn the video to a disk. i dont have a firewire port and my comp is pretty slow and video stuff is kind of intensive so that rules out mini-dv for me.

that's why i liked mini-dvd. i mainly use it at the track so i like that it makes a track everytime i hit record. when im done i can just hit finalize and throw it in a dvd or computer. mini-dvd is good with me except its pretty poor for trying to do HD. (can you even do HD on mini-dvd?)

do the hard drive camcorders still have to use firewire to stream video off or does it work like connecting a mass storage device where you can just pull down the video clips as files?

I don't know the answer to your last question, or even understand what you're asking. Sorry.

Another bad thing about mini-DVDs is that they only play directly in players that hhave the slide-out trays. All of my players (in the vehicle, PS3, etc) just have the slot, and the small discs don't work.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw33
Just ordered a Cannon Vixia HF10 from newegg. It seems pretty decent. Records HD, internal flash memory, and an external SD card.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...view-34711.htm
I almost ordered the HF10, but decided on the HF100 because it is $200 cheaper.

Here is a link to see what kind of video it makes.

http://www.vimeo.com/tag:canonhf100

Oscar Loves to Eat from Mark Pousti on Vimeo.

Last edited by line-em-up; 06-30-2008 at 10:24 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up
I almost ordered the HF10, but decided on the HF100 because it is $200 cheaper.

Here is a link to see what kind of video it makes.

http://www.vimeo.com/tag:canonhf100
Is that one bascically the same thing without the built-in hard-drive? What size card did you buy for it and how much was that?

Do you know if there are any other major differences?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Is that one bascically the same thing without the built-in hard-drive? What size card did you buy for it and how much was that?

Do you know if there are any other major differences?
There are only 2 differences besides the cost.

HF10 - Black, built-in 16GB flash memory (not HD).
HF100 - Charcoal gray, no built-in flash.

Basically, you are paying $200 extra for the 16GB memory. You can buy 3 16GB cards for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement