radio woes - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

radio woes

i have a 98 gt with mach 460 premium sound. i am looking to put in a new HU and my amp and sub in the car. how can i do this properly without frying the factory amps for the speakers and still use them? or can i? i know the two rear amps push the rear speakers and door speakers while the amp in the dash pushes the little window speakers. i talked to a guy at one of the car audio places in rockwall and he said basically i would have to get the speaker wires from the amps and connect them to the HU. are the aftermarket HU's strong enough to push the speakers like the factory system did? if so, then couldnt i just pull my own wires from each of the speakers so i dont have to cut factory stereo wiring? (just in case i want to put the factory back in).
sorry if this seems to not make sense, im just trying to wrap my head around it all and figure it out.. thanks

I'm just a broke college kid with a dream.
www.myspace.com/joeymd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:00 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyMD
i have a 98 gt with mach 460 premium sound. i am looking to put in a new HU and my amp and sub in the car. how can i do this properly without frying the factory amps for the speakers and still use them? or can i? i know the two rear amps push the rear speakers and door speakers while the amp in the dash pushes the little window speakers. i talked to a guy at one of the car audio places in rockwall and he said basically i would have to get the speaker wires from the amps and connect them to the HU. are the aftermarket HU's strong enough to push the speakers like the factory system did? if so, then couldnt i just pull my own wires from each of the speakers so i dont have to cut factory stereo wiring? (just in case i want to put the factory back in).
sorry if this seems to not make sense, im just trying to wrap my head around it all and figure it out.. thanks
I usually use a deck with 3 pair of RCA's AND a built in crossover (like Alpine or Kenwood) and run RCA level (an aftermarket harness is available)into the 3 factory amps. This allows you to take the bass out of the factory system but still use the amps and speakers. Then run the subwoofer output on the deck to your sub amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement