Ahyone running zoned or whole-house audio? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Anyone running zoned or whole-house audio?

My new place has a dedicated network/media closet and has cat 5 and speaker runs for whole house audio system. Was thinking about Niles or Speakercraft but just learned of HTD in Plano.

Would like Crestron or AMX but want to DIY the system. Anyone running the above sytem(s) with opinions on setup, performance, quality?

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
1996 Sea-doo Challenger jet boat

Last edited by miketyler; 06-05-2008 at 04:35 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Time Served

We have done plenty of whole house audio and multi-zone AVR's. If you have questions shoot me a PM. The HTD systems are knock-off's of Niles, and they seem to perform eqaully as well. We are a Groov dealer, which is HTD's product line, I can get you the HTD setup for cheaper than you can walk in and buy it for in Plano.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I was considering the MCA-66 but looks like its sold out. I liked that the Niles 4630 has bult-in AM/FM.

So the HTD's are rebadged NILES or ? Can you use NILES keypads with HTD? I assume they are all proprietary and only recognize their own keypads.

Any benefit to running separate amp and controller other than scalability? Right now I only am setup for three zones and would someday want to add a fourth patio zone. The MCA-66 or the ZR-4630 seem like ideal solutions and would save space in my closet.

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre

Last edited by miketyler; 06-05-2008 at 05:24 AM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyler
I was considering the MCA-66 but looks like its sold out. I liked that the Niles 4630 has bult-in AM/FM.

So the HTD's are rebadged NILES or ? Can you use NILES keypads with HTD? I assume they are all proprietary and only recognize their own keypads.

Any benefit to running separate amp and controller other than scalability? Right now I only am setup for three zones and would someday want to add a fourth patio zone. The MCA-66 or the ZR-4630 seem like ideal solutions and would save space in my closet.

Not sure about the interoperability with the keypads, but I am not sure why you would want to do this anyway. I think they still make a very basic 4 zone, but most of the HTD systems are 6 zone, and come with all 6 keypads whether you want them or not. They also come with a 6 channel stereo amp, in which they have 2 levels of power to choose from. No real need for seperate amp unless you have large zones with more than 2 speakers. Not sure about the built in tuners, it's been a while since I put my hands on the HTD stuff and they just released some newer gear....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I like the large LCD touch panels that come with the Niles systems. However the HTD stuff would work nicely. Certainly the pricepoint and local source is appealing.

The controller with built in amp seems best for me, less clutter and cables and will offer all the scalability I am interested in.

So no real plus for the Niles other than brand name and built-in tuner? All IR pass-thru function and such are about the same?

Below is the Niles touch screen pad that I like:

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Time Served

You can always add a 3rd party touch screen controller later that will have WAY more fuctionality than that Niles touch screen, and will be compatible with all devices in your home.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I thought they were proprietary and only worked with the same manufacturers controllers? So there are third party controllers that work with the HTD setup?

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Time Served

HTD's setup is just like anyone else's it is controlled either by RS232 serial interface or IR. Most all control systems are IR capable and some are serial capable.

I have requested the serial commands from HTD several times and they have yet to release them to me (the new products were just release last month), in the mean time you can capture the IR commands from the HTD remote that comes with the system and use them to program what ever touch screen controller you wish to go with...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I am talking about touch screen wall units that plug in to the controller using CAT5 and mount inside a standard wall switch housing.

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Time Served

I understand about the Niles in wall controlers, what I am suggesting is if you went with an HTD or equivelant that does not have that option, you could get a 3rd party controller. It would be a hand held touch screen that you could take to any room and it would do exactly the same thing with the added fuctionality to control any device you want.....
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

ok, am with you now. Can you get the MCA-66 system? Web site says out of stick

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Time Served

My warehouse shows out of stock as well, next ship date shows end of July....

guess you can move on to the next alternative. I can get the Niles product line as well. Shoot me a PM with part numbers of what you want and I will send back pricing. FYI there is much more mark up in the Niles gear then HTD so I can probably get you a better deal anyway.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 06:40 PM
lol, this place sucks now

I've got a Russound system but will be upgrading to some older AMX equipment that a client is giving us since they are upgrading all their stuff to Crestron.

FWIW, I've always liked the Niles gear. I really like the Xantech stuff as well.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I had a friend that worked at AMX for awhile. He was involved with their DVD-movie servers. I don't think he's there anymore so no hookup

Am on a budget (aren't we all) and the Niles setup I was interested in was the ZR-4630 with three or four Solo or TS1 touchscreen pads, remote, and three IR shooters for my audio sources.

I have found a used unit with all the accessories above for $1500 plus shipping. I was hoping to find something under $1k

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement