Sony MDR-NC60 noise canceling headphones. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Sony MDR-NC60 noise canceling headphones.

For the last few weeks, I've been jonesin' for some new headphones to use when traveling. I wanted some noise canceling head phones to use on my business trips.

Well, last Saturday I had enough of loud aircraft interiors so I stopped at the Inmotion Pictures store at the Denver airport and checked out a few models. I ended up buying the Sony MDR-NC60 head phones. I liked the sound production with NC canceling on and off. So I laid out my $199 (yes I paid too much). Edward, (the sales rep) opened the packaging up for me and helped me get everything together, then I was off to my next flight...

Then everything went to crap.

For the first few minutes of use, the headphones were perfect. However, after a few minutes, the headphones developed a strong feedback that I describe as a low frequency oscillation. It was unbearable and the headphones were unusable. The feedback occurred whenever NC was turned on. It happened even if nothing was plugged in. Basically, the headphones were worthless...

I have read other posts on the web that have come across the same issue. One review on Amazon said that sony admitted that about 1 in 30 of these headphones had the problem. My problem now is that I'm in Dallas and the retailer I bought them from is in Denver. Also, the sales rep opened them for me, so I don't have the packaging any longer.. I think I'm going to be at the mercy of sony customer service. In other words, I'm probably out $199 ($213 if you count tax)

My recommendation is that you not only stay away from Sony MDR-NC60 headphones, but RUN FAR FAR away from them..

If you DO decide to buy them, make sure you are in a position to easily return or exchange them. I have seen other reviews where these headphones were pretty kick ass if they don't have the problem I've mentioned in this post....

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Lifer

I bought some Shure 210's and they aer the best headphones I have ever had. No Noise canceling crap. Just great headphones. Nothing to deal with, and they are great, cut 99% of aircraft noise, and put 3 crying babies next to me and I don't even hear a peep.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Lifer

Costco is selling a nice sounding set of Philips noise cancelling headphones for 59.99 plus tax right now. They sell the same ones at Frys for 169.99. Come in a nice carrying case with airplane adapter and they fold up into a nice compact travel case. They sound great and the noise cancel feature works really good.

FUCK Canada

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Lifer

I like my Sennheiser PXC250s. They work well for airplane flights, and for around the office. Only issue with them is the battery compartment - the cable is a little short. But I've traveled all over the place with them wearing them for 10+ hours a flight.

Chambers
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 05:16 PM
dead

I saw Fry's had an sony nc earbud set at 299 and a full ear set for 399. Not sure what the model numbers were cause I just lolled and strolled.
I'm pretty sure u can mail them to Sony since they should sport a 3 month warranty at bare minimum
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Gunga galunga

if you have a receipt from an authorized retailer I would think that you would be fine...

Ditto on the shure earphones, once you get the right size foam thingy, they completely seal off your ear canal and all you can hear is sweet music... The ones I have don't have any type of "electronic noise canceling" but work great, and sound great.

Also I use these http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf...orm&pc^eb^PLUG for working out and riding since they are cheap and I won't care if I break them. In all honesty they work nearly as well as the shures at canceling noise but they're not on par sound quality wise.

"Apres moi le deluge"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement