Electronics... experts in here please - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
phuk therd gier

Electronics... experts in here please

im just wondering what makes a 500W JL amp better then a 500W sony xplode amp(assuming they both actually put out the same power)

04 converted V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I. Am. God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY04Mustang
im just wondering what makes a 500W JL amp better then a 500W sony xplode amp(assuming they both actually put out the same power)
quality.

and no, they won't be putting out the same power. xplode will put out a lot less than a JL will. they both read the same power, but ACTUAL output, not even enough to compare.

wrong forum.

1994 Cobra Pace Car For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56482
only on DFWstangs...
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
phuk therd gier

well i put it here cuz no one replies down there- why is the quality better??

ok go with a 1000W xplode amp and a JL 500W amp... now lets assume they both actually put out 500W, why would the JL one be better?

04 converted V8

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:25 PM
I. Am. God.

again, quality.

and sometimes, features.

there is no way in hell i would put any kind of sony product in my car.

yeah, they make good audio products, but not in car audio.

Quote:
only on DFWstangs...
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
phuk therd gier

but WHY is the quality better? all amps do is put out power right? so assuming they both put out the same power, wouldnt the quality be the same?

04 converted V8
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I. Am. God.

well, you tell me.

at first you were comparing a 500W to 500W. then i told you that there was no possible chance that a sony 500W would put out as much as a JL 500W.

so then you tell me to compare a 1000W sony to a 500W JL.

now, if you have to use a fucking 1000W sony amp to put out as much power as a 500W JL amp, what does that tell you about the quality of a sony amp?

circuitry is better, probably better quality copper, or even other metals.

www.the12volt.com - read up.

Quote:
only on DFWstangs...
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
phuk therd gier

lol did that question make you angry?

04 converted V8
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Trailer Park Royalty

you get what you pay for.

i have one sony amp in my life and never will again. if you want something that is going to sound good buy a quality product

03 cobra 450/443--2.93 upper, JLT CAI, o/r x, dumped flows, SRA w/3.73s
94 Z71-dd
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:44 PM
I. Am. God.

Quote:
lol did that question make you angry?
no it did not. but what did make me angry, is that you can't grasp the concept i'm throwing at you. i gave you a few reasons and you still don't seem to follow them.

and i'm just pissed off in general.

Quote:
only on DFWstangs...
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
phuk therd gier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot To Kill
no it did not. but what did make me angry, is that you can't grasp the concept i'm throwing at you. i gave you a few reasons and you still don't seem to follow them.

and i'm just pissed off in general.

no i understand that whatever puts out more power is gonna sound better... thats kinda a given.
what i asked was "why" the quality would be better given 2 different brand amps that actually put out the same power- jw WHY one would be better. im not an electrician, so i dont know what the difference between copper wire and copper wire is...

and chill- everything will be ok

04 converted V8
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:55 PM
I. Am. God.

haha.

yeah, i'm trying to chill.

Quote:
only on DFWstangs...
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
phuk therd gier

you got money comin from the gov. how can you be pissed?

04 converted V8
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:12 PM
KJ94GT

Quote:
no i understand that whatever puts out more power is gonna sound better... thats kinda a given.
what i asked was "why" the quality would be better given 2 different brand amps that actually put out the same power- jw WHY one would be better. im not an electrician, so i dont know what the difference between copper wire and copper wire is...

and chill- everything will be ok
Just because one puts out more power, that doesn't mean it's necessarily going to sound better. Audio reproduction is key. You can amplify the hell out of a turd, but now it's just a loud turd. Provide a quality amplification with good fidelity and you've got a nice turd.

Electricians deal with electrical work. Electronics geeks deal with that you're talking about. Electrician does not equal electronics geek.

Quality varies from the components chosen in the different amps. Cheap products will fail sooner. A higher quality amp has typically had more money invested in their R&D departments so you get better components that last longer, consume less power and amplify audio in a better way.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
phuk therd gier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ94GT
Just because one puts out more power, that doesn't mean it's necessarily going to sound better. Audio reproduction is key. You can amplify the hell out of a turd, but now it's just a loud turd. Provide a quality amplification with good fidelity and you've got a nice turd.

Electricians deal with electrical work. Electronics geeks deal with that you're talking about. Electrician does not equal electronics geek.

Quality varies from the components chosen in the different amps. Cheap products will fail sooner. A higher quality amp has typically had more money invested in their R&D departments so you get better components that last longer, consume less power and amplify audio in a better way.

youre as analytical as i am- im sure you know what i meant when i said "electrician"

but i gotcha

04 converted V8
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:34 PM
LUCIFER

Definitely you have to pay for quality, even though the cheap stuff sounds too good to be true. I knew someone back in the day that got a Jensen 800Watt amp and thought it was going to be the best, hooked it up to one 12" sub and the sub barely hit! I bet that amp was pushin a true 100watts rms.
JL is some top of the line audio, you can't go wrong with anything of theirs

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
phuk therd gier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtheman1
Definitely you have to pay for quality, even though the cheap stuff sounds too good to be true. I knew someone back in the day that got a Jensen 800Watt amp and thought it was going to be the best, hooked it up to one 12" sub and the sub barely hit! I bet that amp was pushin a true 100watts rms.
JL is some top of the line audio, you can't go wrong with anything of theirs
yeah ive always been a firm believer in you get what you pay for, i just wanted to make sure(since amps are such simple things, just power outputs) that you arent just paying for a name ya know- i figured theyd all be the same... guess not

04 converted V8
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Time Served

I wouldnt say Jl is top of the line, but it is better of the two

Last edited by slam; 05-05-2008 at 04:56 PM.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:59 PM
yes, jluv

There are a lot of other things besides power ratings that make one amp different/better than another. Damping factor, build quality, reliability, connections, features, configurations, flexibility, support, etc etc.

JL support is amazing. The manuals they come with are better than anything I've ever seen. Even their website is incredibly detailed and helpful.

JL has a long-standing reputation for being one of the best. Their R&D, design, engineering, etc is leaps and bounds better than anything you'll get with cheap stuff. They invested the time, money, and energy on the front end to release a fantastic, cutting edge, unique product. By the time it is available to you, it cost more because of this. A lot of companies can slap some stuff together and throw a number on it and call it an amp and charge a lot less money for it.

Have you seen the JL Slash amps? They have knobs and buttons for days. They aren't just for the bling factor, either. Everything is very functional.

Personally, my favorite things about the JL amps are:

1) They make their rated power at as little as 11.5 volts. The standard is for amps to be rated at 14.4v, and when they get below that, most will start to make a lot less power. So when your bass hits, and your lights dim, and your voltage drops, the amp makes less power (sometimes a LOT less) and you get less output. Unless you have a pretty advanced electrical system, your voltage with the volume cranked isn't going to hold 14.4v. With a JL amp, it doesn't matter.

2) It makes the same power with a range of loads. 2 ohm, 4 ohm, it doesn't matter. It just makes things simpler and gives you flexibility to change things up if you add or remove speakers.

Is that a good enough answer? If you need more, you could do your own research. Go to each company's website and click around. Absorb info. See what you think.

A lot of people say JL is overpriced, but I disagree. Either you can afford it, or you can't. There is pricier stuff out there. For all the things I mentioned in this post, the JL stuff is worth every penny. With rare exception, you will find most people that run their stuff will tell you that same thing. No regrets. No disappointments.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Lifer

I may be breaking this down to small but it comes down to the quality of components that go into an amp. Caps, resistors, micro-processors. I work on high quality and low quality processors from the same companies everyday. Buy the JL, I have worked on the sony stuff and you will be much happier. Not to mention that your amp will last longer.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 11:23 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Look at the specifications and decide. Just because a company markets to mass retailers doesn't mean they don't have some good products. If a $150 Xplod amp from Wal-Mart meets your needs why spend $400 for a JL with the same specs?

<---really likes his $800 Audison

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:22 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Look at the specifications and decide. Just because a company markets to mass retailers doesn't mean they don't have some good products. If a $150 Xplod amp from Wal-Mart meets your needs why spend $400 for a JL with the same specs?

<---really likes his $800 Audison
Wow. You have an Audison and recommend sticking with an Xplod if it has the same specs as the JL? I'm confused.

The Xplod stuff is garbage. There are plenty of reasons to spend the extra bucks on the JL amp.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:35 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Wow. You have an Audison and recommend sticking with an Xplod if it has the same specs as the JL? I'm confused.

The Xplod stuff is garbage. There are plenty of reasons to spend the extra bucks on the JL amp.
Specs are specs and realistically the Xplod stuff isn't even in the ball park with most of JL's offerings. Sony does their power ratings at 1% thd which is audible to a lot of people. However with a ported box and on subs only with proper equalization and crossover settings 1% thd at 500 watts from a Xplod amplifier will sound pretty much the same as a 500 watts from a much more expensive JL amplifier with .003% thd. On a $500 set of seperates in 4 ohm stereo sure the Xplod would get it's ass handed to it by a JL, even a retard could tell the difference.

The point I was trying to make is that any manufacturer can produce a good product and it's not always necessary to spend 3x more for a better brand if you'd be happy with the cheaper stuff. Not everyone needs Focal Utopias and Zapco amplifiers to get through the day.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Specs are specs and realistically the Xplod stuff isn't even in the ball park with most of JL's offerings. Sony does their power ratings at 1% thd which is audible to a lot of people. However with a ported box and on subs only with proper equalization and crossover settings 1% thd at 500 watts from a Xplod amplifier will sound pretty much the same as a 500 watts from a much more expensive JL amplifier with .003% thd. On a $500 set of seperates in 4 ohm stereo sure the Xplod would get it's ass handed to it by a JL, even a retard could tell the difference.

The point I was trying to make is that any manufacturer can produce a good product and it's not always necessary to spend 3x more for a better brand if you'd be happy with the cheaper stuff. Not everyone needs Focal Utopias and Zapco amplifiers to get through the day.
i agree

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 07:46 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam
i agree
Speaking of high powered, high thd amplifiers, have you used that XS100 yet?

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 09:24 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP

Sorry man. I disagree with most of your post. Especially on a sub where the user is likely going to pound on things at times, the JL amp is going to perform much better. You start cranking the tunes with any factory electrical system, and you aren't going to see anywhere near 14.4 volts, and therefore you won't see anywhere near the output as what the Sony amp is rated at. So just in sheer output alone, a 500 watt Sony amp isn't going to put out anywhere near as much as a 500 watt JL Slash amp. I'm sure he's referring to their class D sub amps, so the whole idea of using it on components is silly anyway. I'm not sure why you think that a ported box and eq settings will compensate enough to where you can't tell the difference is sound quality.

Not all manufacturers produce a good product. In fact, I'd say more don't than do. If the user is happy with the cheaper stuff, great. Some people are happy with crap. But the idea that those two amps will "sound pretty much the same" is misguided.

This would be very easy to demonstrate, if anyone out there has a 500 watt Xplod amp. I've got a pair of 500/1s running my subs in a ported box with all the eq you could ever want. We can simply wire up the Xplod amp in place of one of the JL amps, and then switch back and forth between the remaining 500/1 and the Xplod amp to compare output and sound quality. I'm positive the difference will be quite dramatic.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Speaking of high powered, high thd amplifiers, have you used that XS100 yet?

I did, but i didnt like how the alpine type r's sounded. Im runing an fi 10" (1)sub on a crossfire vr1000d. sounds pretty nice in a jeep wrangler. no one believes its 1 10...lol. im about to build a nice system in a civic

jluv~what subs u have and vehicle? I wouldnt mind putting a 1000 watt lanzar amps on ur jl amps

Last edited by slam; 05-11-2008 at 03:47 PM.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 04:31 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
jluv~what subs u have and vehicle? I wouldnt mind putting a 1000 watt lanzar amps on ur jl amps
Two Type R 15s in an '04 Explorer. What did you not like about the way your Type R sounded? What size and type of box did you use? Mine are in a slot ported box built to spec tuned to 33 hz. They sound great.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Two Type R 15s in an '04 Explorer. What did you not like about the way your Type R sounded? What size and type of box did you use? Mine are in a slot ported box built to spec tuned to 33 hz. They sound great.
The 10's were built to spec. It was in a trunk of a civic. No lows, no pressure. I even had 2 blue top batts powering a xs100(1000 watts with the ohm load) Guess thats what i get for trying out the main stream or im just real picky. So i researched on the new stuff and found what i like nowadays. My one 10 in the jeep, i just put in, sounds way better then what both the alpines did. I really dont care for the main stream products. i like fi, dd, aq, etc... When i get my next system built ill let u check it out.

i bet uur explorer sounds good. u ever get ne number out of it? i really never ran ne name brand products and i was always in the top spl at comps(when i was in it) think i caught the bug again lol

Last edited by slam; 05-11-2008 at 04:54 PM.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 05:04 PM
R.E.N.G.

Quote:
The 10's were built to spec. It was in a trunk of a civic. No lows, no pressure. I even had 2 blue top batts powering a xs100(1000 watts with the ohm load) Guess thats what i get for trying out the main stream or im just real picky. So i researched on the new stuff and found what i like nowadays. My one 10 in the jeep, i just put in, sounds way better then what both the alpines did. I really dont care for the main stream products. i like fi, dd, aq, etc... When i get my next system built ill let u check it out.

i bet uur explorer sounds good. u ever get ne number out of it? i really never ran ne name brand products and i was always in the top spl at comps(when i was in it) think i caught the bug again lol
FYI, UR pwnlE sayveNg 1 letR ByE typNg 'ne' vs. 'any'
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 05:18 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:

Hmmm... that's weird. Maybe there was something wrong when you had the Rs hooked up. Two of them should have sounded better than one 10, no doubt.

Mine isn't setup for SPL at all. More of an SQL setup, I guess. I did have it metered one day though without any notice. I didn't plan on it, but I was at a show and some guys convinced me to just have it metered to get a baseline. So with no tuning or prep work of any kind, just coming straight from playing music, it did 146.9 on a TL in the passenger kick. My gains are all set appropriately with a dmm and my eq settings are pretty conservative as far as bass goes. I've got it tuned so that everything is in proportion instead of trying to get max bass output. It still pounds, though.

XS100? Is that Kicker? See, I've never liked Kicker stuff. To each his own. It's still a lot better than Sony, lol. What do you mean by two blue tops powering it? And what kind of SPL numbers were you putting up when you were in the top, and with what?
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Hmmm... that's weird. Maybe there was something wrong when you had the Rs hooked up. Two of them should have sounded better than one 10, no doubt.

Mine isn't setup for SPL at all. More of an SQL setup, I guess. I did have it metered one day though without any notice. I didn't plan on it, but I was at a show and some guys convinced me to just have it metered to get a baseline. So with no tuning or prep work of any kind, just coming straight from playing music, it did 146.9 on a TL in the passenger kick. My gains are all set appropriately with a dmm and my eq settings are pretty conservative as far as bass goes. I've got it tuned so that everything is in proportion instead of trying to get max bass output. It still pounds, though.

XS100? Is that Kicker? See, I've never liked Kicker stuff. To each his own. It's still a lot better than Sony, lol. What do you mean by two blue tops powering it? And what kind of SPL numbers were you putting up when you were in the top, and with what?
yes it was a kicker. i really dont like kicker either. The only kicker i liked was when i bought my first system in 1991. i had 4 kicker 15"s on an orion amp. dont know the model, but u could cook some eggs on it... lol

optima blue top batts is what i was referring to

I was in it back in the early 90's. I had a beretta with 8 orions xtr's and 4 phoenix gold mps 2500's I was hitting a 148.? in 94. Ive had diff setups throughout the years but nothing big like i did back then. Although in 2000 i built a ranger with a walk thru with 8 12" koves(the bottom line) with it running on 2 zx1000 kove's.... rated at 400 watts each. I tuned it by ear and hit a 154.x then traded it for a bike.

My jeep hits pretty good for what it is. Check out the thread with vids....lol
https://dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=358777

Sponsored Links
Advertisement