optical wire for sound - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Mexican Crew
 
paul_376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,612
optical wire for sound

do I still need it for my surround sound if it has hdmi?

Quote:
Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

paul_376 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,691
No hdmi does sound and video.
8742 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,691
You are running your hdmi into your reciver then to your tv?
8742 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Mexican Crew
 
paul_376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhatch
You are running your hdmi into your reciver then to your tv?
hdmi is running out. Of surround receiver into tv

Quote:
Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

paul_376 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 02:18 AM
B-WIZ
 
KOZMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Posts: 1,807
it depends on the receiver. Not all HDMI ports on receivers are functional. Some are only switchers.




DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
KOZMO is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 02:35 AM
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhatch
No hdmi does sound and video.
Not unless it's HDMI 1.3

Otherwise, you will need to go ahead and hook up digital coax or optical cable to and from each device for sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Lifer
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
Not unless it's HDMI 1.3

Otherwise, you will need to go ahead and hook up digital coax or optical cable to and from each device for sound.
It really just depends on the receiver, not so much the HDMI 1.3. Furthermore, not sure what you're talking about HDMI not doing sound & video unless it's HDMI 1.3 as all that HDMI 1.3 did was double the color & bandwith to allow more colors and advanced sound.
Grant is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 AM
lol, this place sucks now
 
ClockwrkOrangeS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: DFWMustangs.net
Posts: 13,422
ClockwrkOrangeS4 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
It really just depends on the receiver, not so much the HDMI 1.3. Furthermore, not sure what you're talking about HDMI not doing sound & video unless it's HDMI 1.3 as all that HDMI 1.3 did was double the color & bandwith to allow more colors and advanced sound.
Experience my friend...

Regardless of what the spec's say, real life is somewhat different.

I had a HDMI 1.1 receiver and it would not pass through audio. Called tech support and they confirmed you can't pass through 5.1 digital audio in that version. Just like it wouldn't pass through 1080p. As well as my HDMI compliant Motorola cable box cannot pass through 5.1 digital audio and it's HDMI 1.1.

I just have an HDMI going directly from my video sources to the TV. And then I have optical cables going from the sources to the receiver. I don't have a Blu-Ray player, so lossless digital audio is not applicable in my case.

HDMI 1.2 won't pass 5.1 in most cases. That's why places like avsforums and audioholic forums are full of threads of people complaining about how their HDMI doesn't pass through audio in older firmware versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 10:34 PM
lol, this place sucks now
 
ClockwrkOrangeS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: DFWMustangs.net
Posts: 13,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
Experience my friend...

Regardless of what the spec's say, real life is somewhat different.

I had a HDMI 1.1 receiver and it would not pass through audio. Called tech support and they confirmed you can't pass through 5.1 digital audio in that version. Just like it wouldn't pass through 1080p. As well as my HDMI compliant Motorola cable box cannot pass through 5.1 digital audio and it's HDMI 1.1.

I just have an HDMI going directly from my video sources to the TV. And then I have optical cables going from the sources to the receiver. I don't have a Blu-Ray player, so lossless digital audio is not applicable in my case.

HDMI 1.2 won't pass 5.1 in most cases. That's why places like avsforums and audioholic forums are full of threads of people complaining about how their HDMI doesn't pass through audio in older firmware versions.
that's beause of your devices firmware, not the limit of HDMI

Q. Do you need a new version of HDMI to play Blu-ray and HD-DVD content in high definition?

All versions of the HDMI specification support the ability to watch HD-DVD / Blu-ray content in high definition up to 1080p resolution. However, there may be non-HDMI reasons that prevent some devices from accessing content in high definition, including lack of HDCP support.

Q. Are HDMI 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 compatible with the next generation videogame consoles implementing 1080p and HDMI’s new Deep Color capability?

The HDMI specification has supported 1080p content since version 1.0, and each new revision of the HDMI specification is fully backward compatible with previous revisions.

Q. What functionality was added to each version of HDMI?

The following provides an overview of major functionality added to each version of HDMI:

HDMI 1.1:

* Support for DVD Audio.

HDMI 1.2:

* Adds features and capabilities that increase HDMI's appeal for use in both the CE and PC industries. Specifically, the features and modifications for HDMI 1.2 include: Support for One Bit Audio format, such as SuperAudio CD's DSD (Direct Stream Digital), changes to offer better support for current and future PCs with HDMI outputs, including: availability of the widely-used HDMI Type A connector for PC sources and displays with full support for PC video formats, ability for PC sources to use their native RGB color space while retaining the option to support the YCbCr CE color space, requirement for HDMI 1.2 and later displays to support future low-voltage (i.e., AC-coupled) sources, such as those based on PCI Express I/O technology.

HDMI 1.2a:

* Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) features and command sets and CEC compliance tests are now fully specified.
* Creation of version 1.2a of the HDMI Compliance Test Specification (CTS), which includes a CEC Supplement. HDMI CTS 1.2a has been updated for technical consistency with HDMI Specification 1.2a as well as to the recently released HDMI Specification 1.2.
* Significantly, CTS 1.2a contains additional cable and connector testing and Authorized Testing Center (ATC) submission requirements. Specifically, under CTS 1.2a, the Adopter shall submit for testing to the ATC any new HDMI cable whose length exceeds previously tested cables.
* Additionally, HDMI Licensing, LLC will maintain a list of approved connectors. For a device to pass CTS 1.2a testing at an ATC, all connectors on such device must appear on the approved connector list. To add a connector to this list, the vendor must submit to the ATC or HDMI Licensing, LLC full and passing testing results.

HDMI 1.3:

* Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future HD display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.
* Deep Color: HDMI 1.3 supports 10-bit, 12-bit and 16-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 8-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification, for stunning rendering of over one billion colors in unprecedented detail.
* Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 adds support for “x.v.Color™” (which is the consumer name describing the IEC 61966-2-4 xvYCC color standard), which removes current color space limitations and enables the display of any color viewable by the human eye.
* New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.
* Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates automatic audio synching capabilities that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with total accuracy.
* New HD lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI’s current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and all currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby® Digital and DTS®), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™.


that about sums it up. Experience my ass.
ClockwrkOrangeS4 is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4

that about sums it up. Experience my ass.
Wonderful post. Too bad it means nothing in the real world.

HDMI 1.1 does not pass 5.1 audio on a wide variety of sources and almost all set top boxes. What is does instead is pass 2 channel PCM audio.

Like I said, that's why audiophile forums are full of people complaining about this very issue.

There are even certain brands of HDMI 1.3 compliant switching A/V receivers that are still having trouble with consistent switched 5.1 audio.

I have a friend that had a Samsung HD950 at one time. It was HDMI 1.1 compliant and it would not pass audio through HDMI. My Motorola won't pass audio through HDMI. There a plethora of such examples that have been well documented.

So, you can continue to post all the HDMI spec's you want, but it doesn't mean shit. Because you say all forms of HDMI passes audio certainly doesn't make it so. I actually wish you were right, but you're not.

Have a great day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Lifer
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
Not unless it's HDMI 1.3

Otherwise, you will need to go ahead and hook up digital coax or optical cable to and from each device for sound.
You're still wrong on that, regardless of your "experience".

HDMI DOES pass audio and video, regardless of it being HDMI 1.3 or not. I've been on the AVS forum(s) and I'm well aware of certain advanced formats having trouble with HDMI 1.X, however, the question was will it play sound too - that answer is YES, assuming the receiver isn't pass-through only.

Your quote of "real-world experience" is ?somewhat? different is pretty funny; is that like the 30,000 ft view so that you can't really be called out for being right or wrong?

There's a strong chance I have more experience with just about anything relating to Home A/V. I've also owned hdmi 1.x all the way to the current standard, so I'm at 100% understanding of what the differences are, without quoting another A/V forum.
Grant is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Lifer
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
There are even certain brands of HDMI 1.3 compliant switching A/V receivers that are still having trouble with consistent switched 5.1 audio.

I have a friend that had a Samsung HD950 at one time. It was HDMI 1.1 compliant and it would not pass audio through HDMI. My Motorola won't pass audio through HDMI. There a plethora of such examples that have been well documented.

So, you can continue to post all the HDMI spec's you want, but it doesn't mean shit. Because you say all forms of HDMI passes audio certainly doesn't make it so. I actually wish you were right, but you're not.
In the real world, those are source issues; not limitations of HDMI.
Grant is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
You're still wrong on that, regardless of your "experience".

HDMI DOES pass audio and video, regardless of it being HDMI 1.3 or not. I've been on the AVS forum(s) and I'm well aware of certain advanced formats having trouble with HDMI 1.X, however, the question was will it play sound too - that answer is YES, assuming the receiver isn't pass-through only.
Interesting. You still think that because HDMI spec's state that it can pass through audio means that it works unequivocally. I'm funny, I guess. I actually look at how it works for the average consumer. And when it doesn't work in most cases you have to think for yourself and stop seeing the official HDMI spec's as gospel.

I've had several HDMI 1.1/1.2 components that would not pass through 5.1 audio. Regardless of firmware issues, it simply means that when HDMI first hit the market it did not work as advertised on 75% of the equipment on the shelf. Therefore, your argument that HDMI passes audio no, if's, and's, or butt's is moot.

I'm sure all the other people on the A/V forums complaining of no audio issues would probably agree with me.

It doesn't mean anything that the physical cable medium can pass digital audio according to spec. What matters is if the consumer goes and buys the product, comes home and hooks it up, and for some reason it doesn't work. That's the argument here. Sure HDMI technology can pass audio. Does it do it consistently and reliably for the average entry to mid level consumer. No, it does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
There's a strong chance I have more experience with just about anything relating to Home A/V. I've also owned hdmi 1.x all the way to the current standard, so I'm at 100% understanding of what the differences are, without quoting another A/V forum.
I'm not simply quoting other forums. I belong to a couple of A/V forums myself and I'm just relaying what I've read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
There's a strong chance I have more experience with just about anything relating to Home A/V.
Doesn't everyone on this site have more knowledge, more experience, more money, and a faster car than the next guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Lifer
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
Interesting. You still think that because HDMI spec's state that it can pass through audio means that it works unequivocally. I'm funny, I guess. I actually look at how it works for the average consumer. And when it doesn't work in most cases you have to think for yourself and stop seeing the official HDMI spec's as gospel.
No, I know first hand too. Like I said, those are likely source issues. Nobody is talking advanced formats, again; the original question was will it pass video AND audio, indeed it will. I just don't think you're understanding what you're reading/typing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000

I've had several HDMI 1.1/1.2 components that would not pass through 5.1 audio. Regardless of firmware issues, it simply means that when HDMI first hit the market it did not work as advertised on 75% of the equipment on the shelf. Therefore, your argument that HDMI passes audio no, if's, and's, or butt's is moot.

I'm sure all the other people on the A/V forums complaining of no audio issues would probably agree with me.

It doesn't mean anything that the physical cable medium can pass digital audio according to spec. What matters is if the consumer goes and buys the product, comes home and hooks it up, and for some reason it doesn't work. That's the argument here. Sure HDMI technology can pass audio. Does it do it consistently and reliably for the average entry to mid level consumer. No, it does not.



I'm not simply quoting other forums. I belong to a couple of A/V forums myself and I'm just relaying what I've read.



Doesn't everyone on this site have more knowledge, more experience, more money, and a faster car than the next guy?
Indeed, so what makes you more qualified to make that argument than the next person?

I'm just pointing out that infact you're wrong, in the real world and which ever other world you're refering to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
I'm not simply quoting other forums. I belong to a couple of A/V forums myself and I'm just relaying what I've read.
Okay, I give up.....huh?
Grant is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 06:04 AM
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
HDMI passes audio and video, and does a good job of it too.
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 07:09 AM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
I'm not simply quoting other forums. I belong to a couple of A/V forums myself and I'm just relaying what I've read.
Okay, now that's pretty funny.

I'm not swimming! I'm just in this pool kicking my legs and splashing my arms around!
jluv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome