so, I broke the seal... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
mannish boy

so, I broke the seal...

resisted/held off buying a real TV for a LONG time... we had a 21" CRT in the living room and one in the bedroom. both aquired free somewhere along the line.

I ended up with a 46" Sony Bravia 1080p LCD in the living room... very happy w/ the price I paid, etc.

The big problem now is I don't see how I can live without at LEAST a 32" in the bedroom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 06:43 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
resisted/held off buying a real TV for a LONG time... we had a 21" CRT in the living room and one in the bedroom. both aquired free somewhere along the line.

I ended up with a 46" Sony Bravia 1080p LCD in the living room... very happy w/ the price I paid, etc.

The big problem now is I don't see how I can live without at LEAST a 32" in the bedroom!

Don't do it. You'll be disappointed with any tv 32" or smaller. Ask me how I know.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 06:46 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
Don't do it. You'll be disappointed with any tv 32" or smaller. Ask me how I know.
From the other 21" CRT in his room? How would he be dissappointed?

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
mannish boy

Quote:
yeah, I'm kinda thinkin' 37" might be the cutoff in the bedroom we're a good 10ft from the TV.

but yes, damn near anything would be better than the little pos 21" CRT!

but the seal is broken... I am officially spoiled/ruined. The wife was rolling her eyes at me looking at TV's for the bedroom at first, but she warmed up to it quickly
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:06 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
From the other 21" CRT in his room? How would he be dissappointed?

We have a 32" Sammie LCD, and it's too small. It was fine at first. Now it's almost painful to watch. Problem is, it's my only high def tv.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:06 AM
Out

Quote:
yeah, I'm kinda thinkin' 37" might be the cutoff in the bedroom we're a good 10ft from the TV.

but yes, damn near anything would be better than the little pos 21" CRT!

but the seal is broken... I am officially spoiled/ruined. The wife was rolling her eyes at me looking at TV's for the bedroom at first, but she warmed up to it quickly
LMAO @ Forrest getting up to date in the world faster than me!

I'm still standing strong with my 'ol CRT and bunny ears! Yes, no cable or dish at THIS house!
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:07 AM
Lifer

just tell your wife to make shadow puppets on the wall

93 coupe 351/t56

In the words of President Teddy Roosevelt, " We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

ive never been good at keeping directions i believe schedules are one of lifes worst infections

WELCOME TO TENNESSEE THE PATRON STATE OF SHOOTIN STUFF
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
mannish boy

Quote:
We have a 32" Sammie LCD, and it's too small. It was fine at first. Now it's almost painful to watch. Problem is, it's my only high def tv.
in the bedroom?

we stayed at a hotel recently that had a 32" LCD in the bedroom, and it was decent and was at least 15ft away. It's just that the price jump from 32 to 37 just enough to make me pause

I've found some pretty good deals on 32" TV's, not so many good deals on 37's

I realize that when it's all said and done, I'd rather not be bummed about the thing being to small down the road
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
mannish boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
LMAO @ Forrest getting up to date in the world faster than me!

I'm still standing strong with my 'ol CRT and bunny ears! Yes, no cable or dish at THIS house!
that's bad ass! man, I held out for a long time... I've been kinda "shopping" TV's for months, but just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.

then I fucked up and bought a 62" Mitsubishi DLP at Fry's for dirt (it was a return).. well, there was a reason it was returned... there was something wrong with it. Problem was, when I took it back to Fry's, I just couldn't imagine going back to the little 21" job

as fate would have it, I stumbled onto a really good deal on a 46" Sony... called pops to run it by him (he's like a fucking encyclopedia w/ these TV's ) He gave the deal a green light, so I brought it home.

and now, I'm fucking ruined... ordered the PS3 yesterday, shopping for ANOTHER LCD for the bedroom, etc.

we got by for 10+yrs with a pair of free POS TV's...

keep resisting Denny... the longer you hold out, the more you'll get for your money when/if you DO break the seal!
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
in the bedroom?

we stayed at a hotel recently that had a 32" LCD in the bedroom, and it was decent and was at least 15ft away. It's just that the price jump from 32 to 37 just enough to make me pause

I've found some pretty good deals on 32" TV's, not so many good deals on 37's

I realize that when it's all said and done, I'd rather not be bummed about the thing being to small down the road

It started out in my bedroom, when I was living in an apartment with my sister. Size was fine then. Then after the old bag and I got married and bought a house, we put it in the living room being that it's the only HDtv I've got.

I had to move the couches in because you couldn't see the damn thing. I'm currently shopping for a larger one, just haven't come across the right deal yet. Mainly, because we're going to have to buy two larger tvs. My living room and my bedroom are the exact same size (21' x 15').

The problem with it, is that it's a 32" screen. However, there are 4"ish black bars on either side of the screen. They only go away when I'm watching an HD channel. I can't figure out how to get rid of them. The majority of the tv watching we do, HD channels aren't available. So on any standard channel that 32" gets REAL small.
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Out

I'm eventually going to get one since the world is going HD in Feb of 2009, so I don't want to wait too long because once you HAVE to have them, they're going to go up in price (I assume). My TVs won't be able to even support the HD converter box. Hell, I need adaptor for some DVD players. LOL! I'm the Quaker of multimedia. At least I'm consistant (ie: the Mustang II in the garage).
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
mannish boy

Quote:
It started out in my bedroom, when I was living in an apartment with my sister. Size was fine then. Then after the old bag and I got married and bought a house, we put it in the living room being that it's the only HDtv I've got.

I had to move the couches in because you couldn't see the damn thing. I'm currently shopping for a larger one, just haven't come across the right deal yet. Mainly, because we're going to have to buy two larger tvs. My living room and my bedroom are the exact same size (21' x 15').

The problem with it, is that it's a 32" screen. However, there are 4"ish black bars on either side of the screen. They only go away when I'm watching an HD channel. I can't figure out how to get rid of them. The majority of the tv watching we do, HD channels aren't available. So on any standard channel that 32" gets REAL small.
ahh, yeah, I could see how that would be sucktown... that works out to a mid 20's 4:3 screen

not sure if they've got any left in the DFW area, but I got this 46" for $1399. More than I wanted to spend, but the Sonys are really nice. They also had a nice Philips 52" 1080p LCD marked down to $1799 that I was romancing, but the Sony was just the better buy for me
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
ahh, yeah, I could see how that would be sucktown... that works out to a mid 20's 4:3 screen

not sure if they've got any left in the DFW area, but I got this 46" for $1399. More than I wanted to spend, but the Sonys are really nice. They also had a nice Philips 52" 1080p LCD marked down to $1799 that I was romancing, but the Sony was just the better buy for me

I'll have to check that out, then. I'm assuming you got the Bravia from Frye's, right?

I swore I'd only buy Sammi LCD's from then on, after buying this current one. However, I'm not settling for any tv less than 65" in the living room, and 50" in the bedroom. Seeing as how the largest LCD Samsung makes currently is 57" (and costs eight fucking thousand dollars), I'm going to have to find another brand I can live with. Which also means going from an LCD to a DLP in the living room, and I'm just not very happy with that whole thing.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:44 AM
dead

i know what you mean. the 46" lcd is fine for my bedroom but im in the market for a projector for the living room.

need to find a best buy with an optoma hd70 in stock.
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 08:10 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
I'll have to check that out, then. I'm assuming you got the Bravia from Frye's, right?

I swore I'd only buy Sammi LCD's from then on, after buying this current one. However, I'm not settling for any tv less than 65" in the living room, and 50" in the bedroom. Seeing as how the largest LCD Samsung makes currently is 57" (and costs eight fucking thousand dollars), I'm going to have to find another brand I can live with. Which also means going from an LCD to a DLP in the living room, and I'm just not very happy with that whole thing.
When are you going to come over and check out the big DLP? I will admit, standard def programming is less than perfect. Being freaking huge, all imperfections are magnified. It's bearable, but I just don't watch a whole lot of standard def stuff anyway. HD satellite programming looks wonderful, and Bluray movies will blow you away. Don't be scared of DLP. I like the picture on mine as much or better than any LCDs I've seen. It's not lacking anything other than the ability to hang it on the wall.

Cooter, congrats man! Since you got such a good deal on that 46", why not just get another one for the bedroom? Bigger is better. Heck, I've got a 73" in the living room, and a 65" in the bedroom. You won't regret spending more since you'll use it every day and get that much more enjoyment out of the larger screen. My bet would be that a few months down the road you'll look back and think "Damn, I'm glad I went with the bigger one".
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
When are you going to come over and check out the big DLP?

Whenever. I just haven't had much free time lately. Work has me running in circles.
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 AM
African Booty Scratcher

sorry if its a hijack, but are yall hanging these yourselves?? is it hard?? i wanna get the largest possible TV that will not be "too" big to where it hurts your eyes. is there a site i can check the size of my room and get an opinion on what size i should get?? is it harder to mount (ie multiple mounts for a 73 vs a 52 inch tv? we have an old school 55 big screen and are looking to update, but if i am getting newer i certainly need bigger. thanks for the help gents.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
mannish boy

Quote:
When are you going to come over and check out the big DLP? I will admit, standard def programming is less than perfect. Being freaking huge, all imperfections are magnified. It's bearable, but I just don't watch a whole lot of standard def stuff anyway. HD satellite programming looks wonderful, and Bluray movies will blow you away. Don't be scared of DLP. I like the picture on mine as much or better than any LCDs I've seen. It's not lacking anything other than the ability to hang it on the wall.

Cooter, congrats man! Since you got such a good deal on that 46", why not just get another one for the bedroom? Bigger is better. Heck, I've got a 73" in the living room, and a 65" in the bedroom. You won't regret spending more since you'll use it every day and get that much more enjoyment out of the larger screen. My bet would be that a few months down the road you'll look back and think "Damn, I'm glad I went with the bigger one".
I don't know man, that 62" we had in the living room was a bit of an eye workout from only 15-16' away!

the 52" would have been nice, but the price difference bought me a PS3

but I see what you're saying, maybe I'll just hold out till I stumble onto a really nice deal on a 52+ and put it in the living room and move the 46 to the bed
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 08:30 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS
sorry if its a hijack, but are yall hanging these yourselves?? is it hard?? i wanna get the largest possible TV that will not be "too" big to where it hurts your eyes. is there a site i can check the size of my room and get an opinion on what size i should get?? is it harder to mount (ie multiple mounts for a 73 vs a 52 inch tv? we have an old school 55 big screen and are looking to update, but if i am getting newer i certainly need bigger. thanks for the help gents.

god bless.

My 73 is a DLP and it sits on a stand. I would LOVE to have one that big that could mount on the wall. I think the biggest flat panels I've seen around are around 60" or so, and plasma. They are very, very expensive.

I don't have any advice on mounts because I've nbever had a flat panel. It's certainly on the wish list, though. Good luck!
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
mannish boy

Quote:

god bless.
mine isn't a monster, so I just got a decent little backboard style center/stand from Wally world (hey, it was a display... I got them to knock 30% off and I didn't have to assemble it!)

I'm sure the bigger flat panels require more effort to wall mount than a smaller one, but I can't imagine it being all that difficult. Only thing is with something that big, you'll probably need a hand in actually hanging it.

One thing I've already run into is to really try to plan out what kind of cables you're going to have going in and coming out... you may even want to plan ahead and run cables and tie them out of the way. That way you don't have to pull the TV down and re-hang it when you add another component!
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

god bless.

You can't hang a dlp. You won't find many LCD or plasma tvs larger than what you currently have. Once you get above 50", the herd (available selection) starts to thin pretty quickly.

Blake, Jimmy, and a few others have recently hung their plasmas and LCD tvs, and they were surprised at how easy it was. I haven't done it myself, though. Mine currently is on a stand.
post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 08:34 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
I don't know man, that 62" we had in the living room was a bit of an eye workout from only 15-16' away!

the 52" would have been nice, but the price difference bought me a PS3

but I see what you're saying, maybe I'll just hold out till I stumble onto a really nice deal on a 52+ and put it in the living room and move the 46 to the bed

An eye workout? My normal sitting distance from my 73" is probably 12-15'. I haven't actually measured it. Any closer, and I'd probably have to move my head around to see everything, lol. But it isn't hard on my eyes. Logic would say it is easier on the eyes. Maybe if all of the lights are off in the house some of the scenes are intensely bright, but other than that I have no problems at all. I dig it because I can be in my kitchen or dining room, 30-ish feet away, and still see the TV just fine.
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 AM
African Booty Scratcher

well i have obviously shown my ass that i dont know anything about these TV's i want a large LCD TV i can hang on the wall. my minimal research has me leaning towards a Samsung.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
mannish boy

Quote:
An eye workout? My normal sitting distance from my 73" is probably 12-15'. I haven't actually measured it. Any closer, and I'd probably have to move my head around to see everything, lol. But it isn't hard on my eyes. Logic would say it is easier on the eyes. Maybe if all of the lights are off in the house some of the scenes are intensely bright, but other than that I have no problems at all. I dig it because I can be in my kitchen or dining room, 30-ish feet away, and still see the TV just fine.
not strain from the brightness, but from having to dance around all over the screen! kinda like sitting in the front row at the movie theater!

I guess after years of watching a postage stamp, I'm just not used to actually having to move my eyes very much to watch TV! LOL!

dude, I've been watching a 21" from ~30ft away whenever I'm on the computer!!! needless to say if I wanted to see what else was on, I had to get a LOT closer to the TV to be able to read the guide channel!
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
mannish boy

Quote:
well i have obviously shown my ass that i dont know anything about these TV's i want a large LCD TV i can hang on the wall. my minimal research has me leaning towards a Samsung.

god bless.
I don't think you can go wrong with Samsung or Sony. I passed up a 52" Philips at Fry's for $1799. They may still have some in the DFW area. It was a nice TV!

you get much bigger than that in the flat panel, and you're going to be paying mad bucks
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

god bless.

Samsung LCD's kick ass. The picture is very bold and vibrant. Crisp as can be, too. That would be my recommendation, if you're looking for an LCD.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LNS579.../dp/B000GJAKR8

That's the one I desperately want, but I just can't bring myself to drop $8000+ on it. Don't think the price will drop much, either. I've been waiting on that to happen for over a year, myself. I don't know that it will drop any more, honestly. It was $20k when it first came out in 2005.
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:23 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
not strain from the brightness, but from having to dance around all over the screen! kinda like sitting in the front row at the movie theater!

I guess after years of watching a postage stamp, I'm just not used to actually having to move my eyes very much to watch TV! LOL!

dude, I've been watching a 21" from ~30ft away whenever I'm on the computer!!! needless to say if I wanted to see what else was on, I had to get a LOT closer to the TV to be able to read the guide channel!
I see what you're saying. I had the 65 in the living room for years, and just went a little bigger. It guess it just takes some getting used to at first. To me, it's really hard to go back to watching smaller TVs. Frustrating, almost.
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
mannish boy

yeah, my dad got a 40" Samsung 720p a few months ago for right at $1k, and he loves it. I bought/returned a few TV's and looked at tons more before settling on that.

edit: this was obviously to add on to what Bcoop said
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
mannish boy

Quote:
I see what you're saying. I had the 65 in the living room for years, and just went a little bigger. It guess it just takes some getting used to at first. To me, it's really hard to go back to watching smaller TVs. Frustrating, almost.
roger that... that's what I'm going through now! had that 62" in the living room and when I took it back, I knew I was going to be spending some money before I left! lol

and now when I go to the bedroom, I'm like "man, this TV sucks ass!!!"
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:27 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Samsung LCD's kick ass. The picture is very bold and vibrant. Crisp as can be, too. That would be my recommendation, if you're looking for an LCD.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LNS579.../dp/B000GJAKR8

That's the one I desperately want, but I just can't bring myself to drop $8000+ on it. Don't think the price will drop much, either. I've been waiting on that to happen for over a year, myself. I don't know that it will drop any more, honestly. It was $20k when it first came out in 2005.

Holy crap, Brent! What makes it that much better than a $2k-$3k unit?

And I see it weighs 200 lbs. I didn't realize LCDs were that heavy. I'm not positive what my 73" DLP weighs, but the 65" I had briefly weighed right at 90 lbs. Not that it matters at all; it's just interesting.
post #31 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:29 AM
dead

Quote:

god bless.
cant go wrong:

2 choices: lcd or plasma
then the next two choices: 1080p or 720p.

both of the above topics have been beated down here. just pick the one you like and remember there are always deals to be had.
post #32 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Mexican Crew

anyone have a t.v. 32" or smaller they want to sell?

Quote:
Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

post #33 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
mannish boy

Quote:

And I see it weighs 200 lbs. I didn't realize LCDs were that heavy. I'm not positive what my 73" DLP weighs, but the 65" I had briefly weighed right at 90 lbs.
yeah, I was able to set up that 62" DLP solo. a little clumsy on how I had to hold it to pick it up and set it on the stand, but surprisingly light!
post #34 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
mannish boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
cant go wrong:

2 choices: lcd or plasma
then the next two choices: 1080p or 720p.

both of the above topics have been beated down here. just pick the one you like and remember there are always deals to be had.
the most painful thing I've found is just holding tight till "the" deal you're looking for comes along!
post #35 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Lifer

You want to hear some stories about a TV addiction?
post #36 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Mexican Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant

sure

Quote:
Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

post #37 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

And I see it weighs 200 lbs. I didn't realize LCDs were that heavy. I'm not positive what my 73" DLP weighs, but the 65" I had briefly weighed right at 90 lbs.

1. Size. Like has been said many times, once you get over 50", the herd thins. Samsung makes a 50" LCD, 52" LCD, and 57" LCD. Bigger is better, so obviously I want the biggest one they offer. Problem is, big size comes with an outrageous price tag.

2. It's 1080p.

3. I don't know that an LCD that size (57"), and in 1080p could be had from any manufacturer for $2k-3k.

I'm stuck on LCD's, and stuck on Samsung. Don't care for Plasmas due to the glossy screen causing glare. As I said in another thread, every DLP I've looked at in the store looks hazy and foggy. The colors are dull, etc.
post #38 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 AM
dead

Quote:

And I see it weighs 200 lbs. I didn't realize LCDs were that heavy. I'm not positive what my 73" DLP weighs, but the 65" I had briefly weighed right at 90 lbs. Not that it matters at all; it's just interesting.

its all cause of size. i wouldnt own an lcd that big. doesnt make sense fiscally until they come down in price.
post #39 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_376
anyone have a t.v. 32" or smaller they want to sell?

I'd sell mine in a heartbeat if I wouldn't lose my ass on it.
post #40 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

What do you do with your old sets? Seems like you are upgrading every 6 months or so....
post #41 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
its all cause of size. i wouldnt own an lcd that big. doesnt make sense fiscally until they come down in price.

Yep. Problem is, even if I bought it, it still wouldn't be big enough for my living room. I said earlier that I wouldn't settle for less than a 65" screen. In reality, it needs to be more along the lines of 70-75". Room is 21' x 15' Couch will be 18sih feet away from the tv. This, of course, puts me with one option being a DLP, which I've been disappointed with thus far. Jared claims he can change my opinion, but we'll see.
post #42 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
mannish boy

Quote:
yes, actually
post #43 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:40 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
As I said in another thread, every DLP I've looked at in the store looks hazy and foggy. The colors are dull, etc.
That's strange. I assure you I can change your opinion on DLPs, or at least prove that there are exceptions. Likewise though, I haven't been impressed with the 1080p LCDs I've seen. The most recent was a Samsung that I helped set up for a buddy. It looked good, just not as good as what I'm used to. It had a graininess to it and the colors didn't seem as vivid. Neither one (his or mine) have been professionally calibrated or anything. In fact, I have been more impressed with the large plasmas I've seen, and am leaning towards that when I go with flat panels for the bedroom and the pool table room. They just appear smoother to me. Hopefully glare won't be too much of an issue.
post #44 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_376
sure
The short and long of it is - I've basically went through 25+ TV's over the last couple of years, DLP, LCD, CRT, Plasma. Spent a bunch of time studying them, have specific notes on a bunch of them, spent a lot of time researching/comparing/testing. I've finally found 2 that I'm pretty happy with, but more than that I think I just got burnt out.

I've been able to sell most of them for even or a small profit, just because I find them for very low prices, otherwise it gets expensive fast!

Right now, I just have the Sony Bravia 55A3000 in the living room since August and it's got basically no time on it since I got the Samsung LNT-4071 in our bedroom a few months ago. Though, I have had my eye on the new Samsung LN-T4081F which is an LED LCD with a crazy 500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio.
post #45 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
In fact, I have been more impressed with the large plasmas I've seen, and am leaning towards that when I go with flat panels for the bedroom and the pool table room. They just appear smoother to me. Hopefully glare won't be too much of an issue.

You don't have much natural light in the room with the pool table, though. I've got light coming straight through from the front of the house, to the back of the house due to the way the house is layed out. So, glare is a major issue for me. Hence why I've stayed away from Plasmas. Other than the glare, I don't have anything against plasmas. The LCD picture has appeared slightly more crisp to me, in the past though. Not a huge difference, very subtle.
post #46 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:43 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
What do you do with your old sets? Seems like you are upgrading every 6 months or so....

No shit. This cat has had two of every model out there, it seems.
post #47 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Most times its not even that long. I sell most of them via craigslist or something of the nature or family members get them from me - as it stands right now, I think I have around 8 or so TV's spread out in different states. It's kind of pathetic, but honestly I haven't lost much, probably closer to breaking even. Which is good, because my wife would have killed me by now otherwise.
post #48 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Lifer

Quote:
You don't have much natural light in the room with the pool table, though. I've got light coming straight through from the front of the house, to the back of the house due to the way the house is layed out. So, glare is a major issue for me. Hence why I've stayed away from Plasmas. Other than the glare, I don't have anything against plasmas. The LCD picture has appeared slightly more crisp to me, in the past though. Not a huge difference, very subtle.
Go check out the new LED-LCD Samsung, it's the LNTXX81 model, they work with light extremely well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1184369167282
post #49 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
mannish boy

Quote:
That's strange. I assure you I can change your opinion on DLPs, or at least prove that there are exceptions. Likewise though, I haven't been impressed with the 1080p LCDs I've seen. The most recent was a Samsung that I helped set up for a buddy. It looked good, just not as good as what I'm used to. It had a graininess to it and the colors didn't seem as vivid. Neither one (his or mine) have been professionally calibrated or anything. In fact, I have been more impressed with the large plasmas I've seen, and am leaning towards that when I go with flat panels for the bedroom and the pool table room. They just appear smoother to me. Hopefully glare won't be too much of an issue.
Jared, I agree... I actually prefer a plasma for pure picture quality, but I wanted the zero maint of the LCD.

I will say that you can get nice anti-glare plasmas these days
post #50 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:47 AM
dead

Quote:
Though, I have had my eye on the new Samsung LN-T4081F which is an LED LCD with a crazy 500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio.

yup. i want to upgrade my 4695 to an led lcd when they come down in price.

i do have 3 more years on my warranty and i fully plan on exercising it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement