Enlighten me on projectors - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Flyer

Enlighten me on projectors

Ok guys I've decided the media room needs a full projector setup and I want to know the Ins and Outs of what's out there as well as what prices for what quality to expect. The room is a dark brown with the one window covered and the screen will be over that so it's completely blacked out.

What is optimal distance from screen to projector, angle and all that jazz. Previous owner had it setup from the ceiling at the back so I'm figuring it worked fine from there, but just wanting opinions from people with experiance.

School me on screens and projectors please as I have no clue about them.

Yes I know this has been covered and I couldn't get any clear advice from what I searched on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

there are tons of choices. 1080p 720p projectors.

the newer 1080p stuff is gonna range from 3+ grand

the 720p projectors can start as little as 400 bucks

check out the avsforum.com for revies guys as well as projectorpeople.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Lifer

You can purchase a 1080p projector for as little as 1500. Try projectorpeople.com as VS stated, but unless you have endless amounts or time and stay away from AVSforums. It is a wealth of info it just takes years to sort through it all. Their are about a million people on their with about a million different agendas. I found lots of cool pictures, but you cant get two people to agree on anything .

Johnny

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Timmay

Having projectors for the past few years I prefer the newer wall-mount LCD screens because having the room dark all the time gets a bit old after a while (especially for sports).

That said projectorpeople is a good place to buy. I would stay away from the local home theatre stores because they tend to rip you off. The optimal distance from screen to projector is defined by something called throw distance. This can vary by projector. The manufacturer will usually have a calculator you can use. Also, I would recommend getting a projector with a vertical lense shift.. makes setting up a lot easier.

Screens can be cheap or expensive. I have heard of people doing the paint thing which works pretty well and is relatively cheap. I have a 92" Stewart Filmscreen Firehawk. It was expensive but the picture is really nice. Ran around 1700 when I bought it but I believe they are more expensive now.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Time Served

sent PM
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Flyer

Thanks guys.

I don't mind having the room dark as it's a totally seperate media room dedicated to movies and the occasional sports/ufc GTG.

I did forget to mention I'm looking along the lines of 1080p. The screen will be my next question, as far as type, brand etc.

Appreciate the input and links.

PM returned Brian.

Thanks for the input John, vertical shift, throw distance and all that.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

go to starpower take a look at there equipment to get an idea. Dont buy from them there prices are quite expensive. Thsi way you at least can see how to go about setting up choosing the right screen etc.

I personally prefer stewart screens. I have 165 diag 16:9 screen with custom trapdoor setup but it all depends on your setup and your budget.

you can get automatic roll down screen from 300 bucks shipped

If you have any exerpertise in wiring and mounting you can get all the parts from local dealers for good prices and just do the work your self.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 01:25 AM
We lost one.....

Carada screens are nice and not too expensive as far as screens are concerned. Call or write them after you get your projector and have then send you a few samples.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Time Served

projectorcentral.com is a great source. i use crt projectors myself. for info on those go to curtpalme.com

00 Excursion PSD tuned and bolt-ons (very quick for 5ton truck )
03 Toyota Prius "MarioKart"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement