Time for a new head unit (car audio) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Time for a new head unit (car audio)

I am currently running an Alpine, can't remember the model but anyways I am looking for something with Ipod control, and good 4v outputs. I noticed that alot of head units don't seem to offer good voltage output.

IPOD conotrl
4v+ output
built in cross overs
EQ

Let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:25 AM
yes, jluv

Why do you need 4v output?
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Why do you need 4v output?

explain to me the difference between a unit that has 2v and 4v. Why do all the high end units have 4v.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:10 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej
explain to me the difference between a unit that has 2v and 4v. Why do all the high end units have 4v.

Not all the high end units have 4v. In fact, the latest McIntosh I saw has only 2v, and their stuff (while hideous, in my opinion) is considered to be really high end as far as sound quality. A lot of other nice units out there are 2v.

It's not as big of a deal as some make it out to be. I'm no expert, but from what I can tell it's all about matching your head unit to your amp gains. If your head unit has a higher voltage output, you can normally keep the gains lower on the amp in order to match up with the head unit. It shouldn't be so much of a difference that you'd have to crank your amp gains all the way up if you get a unit with 2v output.

Interestingly enough, there are some (older) amps out there that don't like too high of a voltage output from a head unit. For example, I have 4v output from my H701, and with my old PPI A600 I have the gain turned all the way down when set properly with a DMM. If I turn up the gain at all the voltage gets way too high in a hurry. If I used one of those units out there with 8v output, I might be in trouble. I've heard of other amps having similar issues with really high voltage head units, but I think it's more of an issue with old stuff than with anything new.

Bottom line - you should be just fine with 2v output. The difference isn't major enough (in my opinion) to be a deciding factor when purchasing a head unit. The other things you mentioned, like built in crossovers and Ipod control would be much more important (again, in my opinion), along with a user interface you like, overall looks, reliability, sound quality, type/number of outputs, cool features, etc.

That said, I don't have a lot of recommendations. I love my double-din Alpine, but it doesn't have the built-in crossovers and eq you're looking for.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I like my alpine that I have now, it is a pain to tune though with the parametric EQ. It works well once setup but other then that its a pain, and if I want to put my ipod on I have to buy a $100 adapter and I have heard the user interface really blows. Now I just use the line in and use the headphone jack on the Ipod. It would be nice to control it through the head unit though.

I would love an Avic-D3 but I can not bring myself to spend 1k on a radio.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I am currently running an Alpine, can't remember the model but anyways I am looking for something with Ipod control, and good 4v outputs. I noticed that alot of head units don't seem to offer good voltage output.

IPOD conotrl
4v+ output
built in cross overs
EQ

Let me know what you think.
Pioneer AVIC D3. Ipod control is awesome. Plays DVDs and has NAVI! Thats what I got and I love it. Also gives you some cool features like a speedo and a G meter that measures your side and forward acceleration G forces. Pretty cool for a grand!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:43 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
I like my alpine that I have now, it is a pain to tune though with the parametric EQ. It works well once setup but other then that its a pain, and if I want to put my ipod on I have to buy a $100 adapter and I have heard the user interface really blows. Now I just use the line in and use the headphone jack on the Ipod. It would be nice to control it through the head unit though.

$100 for an Ipod adapter? Yikes! I got mine for less than half of that and the user interface is wonderful. Have you talked to EW?

I'm not a big Pioneer fan. No huge reason, I just like my Alpine a lot better.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:

HAHA! Guess I should have read all the posts before making my suggestion. It is pricey but I guarantee you wont regret it dude. Touch screen ipod control is bad ass!
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
$100 for an Ipod adapter? Yikes! I got mine for less than half of that and the user interface is wonderful. Have you talked to EW?

I like Alpine too, I have the type r components all the way around with an Alpine amp. Sounds really clean and loud as hell. The Pioneer D# is really nice though.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03venom
Pioneer AVIC D3. Ipod control is awesome. Plays DVDs and has NAVI! Thats what I got and I love it. Also gives you some cool features like a speedo and a G meter that measures your side and forward acceleration G forces. Pretty cool for a grand!
Beej, if you do decide to drop a grand, check into the W205 and H701 combo. I'm not sure if that would be under a grand or not, but it should be in that ballpark. Tuning capability is way beyond that of Pioneer, yet pretty simple using the graphic EQ. If you reallywant nav you could add the new Blackbird and dock it inside the head unit.

Sounds like you're looking to stay well under that though. Check out the new Alpine decks. I think the new X100 (or something like that) is made specifically for use with an Ipod.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:51 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Touch screen ipod control is bad ass!
Yes, touch screen ftw!
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Beej, if you do decide to drop a grand, check into the W205 and H701 combo. I'm not sure if that would be under a grand or not, but it should be in that ballpark. Tuning capability is way beyond that of Pioneer, yet pretty simple using the graphic EQ. If you reallywant nav you could add the new Blackbird and dock it inside the head unit.

Sounds like you're looking to stay well under that though. Check out the new Alpine decks. I think the new X100 (or something like that) is made specifically for use with an Ipod.
Have you seen the custom eq feature on the D3? Its complicated IMO. I dont even know how to adjust it to get it sounding perfect. It has all these different frequencies to change and I have no idea which settings are the best...
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, touch screen ftw!
Total noob question but what does ftw stand for?
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:56 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Total noob question but what does ftw stand for?

For the win!
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Never Enough

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...DA9886&tp=5684
Just got this yesterday and the ipod hookup. You can scroll through the ipod/songs with just the head unit.

www.myspace.com/r1psycho
www.vimeo.com/r1psycho

2003 Cobra - just a non driving ass
411 hp 399 tq 2-22-08 stock
Not stock, but very slow

RIP *Nanny* Doris Brazil 1-07-31 - 7-16-08
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:14 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Have you seen the custom eq feature on the D3? Its complicated IMO. I dont even know how to adjust it to get it sounding perfect. It has all these different frequencies to change and I have no idea which settings are the best...

Honestly, I haven't. It's probably more than enough for 99% of users out there. The H701 is a tuning powerhouse. The graphic eq is pretty straightforward, but I don't fool with the parametric eq.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I haven't. It's probably more than enough for 99% of users out there. The H701 is a tuning powerhouse. The graphic eq is pretty straightforward, but I don't fool with the parametric eq.
I need an expert to tune my system or something. I know Im not getting out of it what its capable of. I spent 3500 on all the shit with the amps speakers alarm and all that crap and I never got it sounding perfect. Kind of a waste.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:28 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
I need an expert to tune my system or something. I know Im not getting out of it what its capable of. I spent 3500 on all the shit with the amps speakers alarm and all that crap and I never got it sounding perfect. Kind of a waste.
Good luck. It's much like adding go-fast goodies to a car. It could always be faster. And in this case, it could always be louder or sound better. I've learned to be content with sounding "pretty damn good" and to give up on ever sounding "perfect". Tuning can help a lot. Installation and sound deadening goes a long way as well.

I'd like to have mine professionally tuned with an RTA some day as well.

Anyway, end of highjack. Beej, let us know what you go with. EW has always been a big help for me when shopping for anything car audio related.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:38 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I want the Alpine IVA-W505.
http://gizmodo.com/339296/alpine-iva...ivx-ipod-video

Comes out this spring.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:40 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
I want the Alpine IVA-W505.
http://gizmodo.com/339296/alpine-iva...ivx-ipod-video

Comes out this spring.

Ya, I'm pretty stoked about that unit, mainly because of the full 7" screen.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 04:08 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

CDA-9887 has everything you asked for + Imprint.
2 or 3 way X-over (6,12,18,24db)
5 band parametric or 7 band graphic EQ w/ presets
4V out
internal amp defeat
biolite display w/ 2 lines of text
Time correction
Imprint with automatic 500 band EQ, time correction and crossover adjustment
4 possible illumination colors
built in window washer
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 04:17 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
Imprint with automatic 500 band EQ
No kidding? Good grief!

Have you guys helped anyone set up the Imprint stuff yet? Is it pretty simple?
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:

I probably have the IPOD interface you need, if you want one (Cheap).
My new Alpine works great with the IPOD.
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 07:53 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
No kidding? Good grief!

Have you guys helped anyone set up the Imprint stuff yet? Is it pretty simple?
I've had this deck in my truck since August. All the adjustments are done automatically by the Imprint processor/laptop. You're on your own for the built in EQ/crossover/time correction but you're only talking about a 5 band parametric or 7 band graphic EQ. Imprint requires a laptop and you place a mic at multiple positions in the car and it does it's own measurements.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:

ya I have been an Alpine guy for awhile, before that I sported nothing but Clarion, but they took a dump, so I had to make the change.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
CDA-9887 has everything you asked for + Imprint.
2 or 3 way X-over (6,12,18,24db)
5 band parametric or 7 band graphic EQ w/ presets
4V out
internal amp defeat
biolite display w/ 2 lines of text
Time correction
Imprint with automatic 500 band EQ, time correction and crossover adjustment
4 possible illumination colors
built in window washer

Maybe I will come visit you this afternoon. I am not conserned with nav and double din and dvd. I just want a good quality headunit that does what I want, play music.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:01 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
My Eclipse has 8V output. Using higher voltage on the signal side lessens the possibility of picking up noise in the signal path up to a certain point. I can see an advantage when going from .5V to 2V but realistically there probably isn't much to gain by going up to 4, 8 or even 12 volts. It doesn't hurt though and I'm not a big fan of cranking up the input gains on my amplifiers.

Kind of like the balanced inputs and oxygen free cabling that used to be all the rage and made little if any difference other than having a higher price.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Resident Epicurean

Eric - You working this weekend?

The suction cups on my radar detector wore the fuck out, and it won't stay up anymore. I need some new cups, and I need to get the detector hard wired in my Expy. Do you have replacement cups for those?

Also looking for a new head unit. Sirius ready, ipod interface, etc.

Sorry for the hijack!
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:13 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop

The suction cups on my radar detector wore the fuck out, and it won't stay up anymore. I need some new cups, and I need to get the detector hard wired in my Expy. Do you have replacement cups for those?

Sorry for the hijack!
Maybe I'll see you up there. I'll be there early though, around 9-ish.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Well I went by and wanted to thank EW and his crew for doing a fantastic job.

I got the 9887, and the Imprint . All I can say is wow. It sounds amazing, completely different. I am very happy. Great headunit. The functionality is great, and the fact that after the imprint was setup it is done. I am ready to roll.

Thanks EW.
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:39 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop

Sorry for the hijack!
I'll be here 9-5 on sat. If your detector is older, the new suction cups will not fit the bracket. They changed size a while back. Come in and we'll check it out.
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
I'll be here 9-5 on sat. If your detector is older, the new suction cups will not fit the bracket. They changed size a while back. Come in and we'll check it out.

I should be good. It's the Passport 8500 with the blue LED's, which I believe was somewhat new when I bought it over the summer (I think).

I'll swing on by though. If I can wake my ass up from the drunken stuper I'm currently in, I'll be there around the same time as Jared.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 03:47 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:

I got the 9887, and the Imprint . All I can say is wow. It sounds amazing, completely different. I am very happy. Great headunit. The functionality is great, and the fact that after the imprint was setup it is done. I am ready to roll.

Thanks EW.
You're welcome. Great talking to you and I'm glad you're happy! If you have any questions about the deck, just let me know.
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 06:29 PM
"Livin the good life"

Quote:
Not all the high end units have 4v. In fact, the latest McIntosh I saw has only 2v, and their stuff (while hideous, in my opinion) is considered to be really high end as far as sound quality. A lot of other nice units out there are 2v.

It's not as big of a deal as some make it out to be. I'm no expert, but from what I can tell it's all about matching your head unit to your amp gains. If your head unit has a higher voltage output, you can normally keep the gains lower on the amp in order to match up with the head unit. It shouldn't be so much of a difference that you'd have to crank your amp gains all the way up if you get a unit with 2v output.

Interestingly enough, there are some (older) amps out there that don't like too high of a voltage output from a head unit. For example, I have 4v output from my H701, and with my old PPI A600 I have the gain turned all the way down when set properly with a DMM. If I turn up the gain at all the voltage gets way too high in a hurry. If I used one of those units out there with 8v output, I might be in trouble. I've heard of other amps having similar issues with really high voltage head units, but I think it's more of an issue with old stuff than with anything new.

Bottom line - you should be just fine with 2v output. The difference isn't major enough (in my opinion) to be a deciding factor when purchasing a head unit. The other things you mentioned, like built in crossovers and Ipod control would be much more important (again, in my opinion), along with a user interface you like, overall looks, reliability, sound quality, type/number of outputs, cool features, etc.

That said, I don't have a lot of recommendations. I love my double-din Alpine, but it doesn't have the built-in crossovers and eq you're looking for.
Do you need an illistrator? j/j
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 08:50 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkscorpion80
Do you need an illistrator? j/j
I don't get it.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 08:51 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:

Thanks EW.

Sounds like a badass unit.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Sounds like a badass unit.

It sounds great, now it makes the need to really dynamat the car now.

With it actually tuned, alot more things rattle.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 02:07 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
It sounds great, now it makes the need to really dynamat the car now.

With it actually tuned, alot more things rattle.
Success!
Drop it off. I'll call you when it is done.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
Success!
Drop it off. I'll call you when it is done.
I'm sure you will. I bet I will have new brakes, wheels, and tires when its done too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement