Questions about adding more televisions to my current Dish Network setup. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Oooooooh-whee

Questions about adding more televisions to my current Dish Network setup.

I have two tv's in the house. They both operate off of a Dish HD DVR. TV 1 is living room and TV 2 is bedroom. I want to add two more tv's, one in the weight room and one in the game room.

My questions are:

Is there a way to run two more tv's off of the single Dish HD DVR, if so, how?

If not, am I going to have to get another receiver to run the other tv's?

Both new tv's are going to be flat panels and I didn't really want to have to fool with finding a place for more receiver's. I'm hoping there is a way I can tie in to what I already have for a clean install.

What do some of you other Dish guys have?

I know there are some folks on here that have done installations, the Tim's, and some others, any suggestions?

8/16/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 05:29 PM
yes, jluv

I have two regular HD receivers and one dual-tuner HD receiver. The dual-tuner is in the living room and sends an HD signal to the main TV in there, while also sending a separately tuned (non-HD) signal to my roommate's room. We also have another TV in the garage that is just split from the TV in my roommate's room. Then I have an HD tuner in my bedroom and another HD tuner in the gameroom. So, 5 TVs total. Three HD, two non-HD. Both of the non-HD are always on the same channel. The single-tuner HD receivers I currently have are not capable of being wired to send a signal back into the wall (to split to another TV), so with this equipment, I can only split more TVs off of the dual-tuner receiver. At some point the signal would be stretched too thin and picture quality would be crap.

Before this, I had 7 TVs working in the house at once. I had an HD tuner in the living room, split to the weight room (shared a tuner, so same channel on each). Another HD tuner in my bedroom, split to my computer room (again, same tuner/same channel). A third tuner in my roommate's room, split to the garage (same tuner, same channel). And a fourth tuner in the game room. This was cool, but I needed more TVs to have HD signal and I needed the new setup to get locals in HD through my dish instead of an antenna.

I have local TV in my computer room via my computer, but no dish channels. I miss that, and also miss the TV in the weight room. In order to get those up and running again my satellite guy suggested just getting another dish setup. Maybe some day...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Oooooooh-whee

Thanks, Jared.

My goal for the weight room is just to have a tv on the wall to help keep the sanity while on the elliptical. It doesn't have to be HD or channel independent from another tv. Now for the game room, I definitely want HD, so it sounds like I'm going to have to get another tuner. I rarely use the game room but when I do, I want the a/v to be top notch.

It's going to be a while before I put a tv in the game room. The priority is getting a tv in the weight room. I guess I could split off the tv in the bedroom to the weight room, but the picture quality in the bedroom isn't that great as it is, running off the HD DVR, and I'm afraid splitting it will make it even worse.

If I do split off the bedroom, how would I control the tv in the weight room? Would I have to get another TV 2 remote?

8/16/05

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:21 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums
If I do split off the bedroom, how would I control the tv in the weight room? Would I have to get another TV 2 remote?
As far as making it all work, I can't help much. I call a bud of mine who does this stuff for a living and pay him on the side.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

should be pretty easy Jimmy...just use a couple diplexers and split it off... here is an example:

Since you use remote 2 for the bedroom, remote 2 will control say the bedroom and the workout room. Remote 1 will control the living room and the other room. Just have to decide which rooms may be used at the same time. You can also use a 3 way diplexer and split off the non-hd feed going from the bedroom to the bedroom, workout room and whatever other room.

You can pick up diplexers at Frys or Radio shack but radio shack is going to be expensive.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Oooooooh-whee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
should be pretty easy Jimmy...just use a couple diplexers and split it off... here is an example:

Since you use remote 2 for the bedroom, remote 2 will control say the bedroom and the workout room. Remote 1 will control the living room and the other room. Just have to decide which rooms may be used at the same time. You can also use a 3 way diplexer and split off the non-hd feed going from the bedroom to the bedroom, workout room and whatever other room.

You can pick up diplexers at Frys or Radio shack but radio shack is going to be expensive.
Awesome, thanks Tim!

Another question. TV2(bedroom) is SD and TV1(living room) is HD. If I run a diplexer off the TV1 feed to the game room, would the game room be HD too?

8/16/05
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

how dors the box hook to the tv? I'm going to guess no... but I'm honestly not sure

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Oooooooh-whee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
how dors the box hook to the tv? I'm going to guess no... but I'm honestly not sure
RG-6. The box has HDMI ports but the living room TV doesn't. I might call you when I dig in to it this weekend.

8/16/05
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums
RG-6. The box has HDMI ports but the living room TV doesn't. I might call you when I dig in to it this weekend.
you know my number.. I have school Saturday morning so I probably wont answer then.... but call me anytime.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement