HTIB with HDMI switching? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

HTIB with HDMI switching?

I have an Onkyo 7.1 HTIB and I am very satisfied with it, except that it doesn't have any HDMI inputs or outputs. I'm not looking to spend a couple grand or more on a bad ass receiver and a set of speakers. I'd love to find something similar to what I have now, but with at least two HDMI inputs, one HDMI output, full switching so I don't have to run separate audio connections, 7.1, and around 100w per channel. True HD would be cool, but I know I am pushing it already when it comes to HTIB offerings. I want to spend less than $1,000, and would LOVE to spend closer to $500. Anyone know if that's even possible? I want the whole setup instead of just upgrading receivers because I want to take my entire current setup and move it to another room. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

$427 + Free Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-SR800...1876556&sr=8-1

- 110 Watts per Channel Minimum into 8 Ohms, 2 Channels Driven, FTC
- 2 HDMI Inputs and 1 Output (1080p Pass-thru)
- HDTV-Capable (50 MHz) Component Video Switching (3 Inputs/1 Output)

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
$427 + Free Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-SR800...1876556&sr=8-1

- 110 Watts per Channel Minimum into 8 Ohms, 2 Channels Driven, FTC
- 2 HDMI Inputs and 1 Output (1080p Pass-thru)
- HDTV-Capable (50 MHz) Component Video Switching (3 Inputs/1 Output)
I believe that one is only a 1080p pass-through via HDMI, and will not carry the audio without separate cables. If not, that would be a steal.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
I believe that one is only a 1080p pass-through via HDMI, and will not carry the audio without separate cables. If not, that would be a steal.
Yeah, it says that.. But I don't know what that means.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Yeah, it says that.. But I don't know what that means.
It means that it only allows the video signal to pass through the receiver and into the TV. It's essentially a coupler, or repeater in that sense. You still have to run audio cables (optical or coax) to get audio signal from your sources to your receiver. I'm looking for one that will carry everything via HDMI. .
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

What's the difference? Is the audio quality better than with optical?

90 Bronco

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
What's the difference? Is the audio quality better than with optical?
Yes. For example, PS3 is capable of 7.1, but will not transmit a 7.1 signal via optical or coax. And obviously, you'd be running one cable instead of two from each source to your receiver.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Iamwaxman!

Find a decent receiver with HDMI switching for around $500. Then buy some cheap speakers off craigslist. Done.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Find a decent receiver with HDMI switching for around $500. Then buy some cheap speakers off craigslist. Done.

I'm really looking for a HTIB. I don't want to buy anyone's used speakers. Just a personal preference.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Iamwaxman!

Dang, your're a picky bitch

I don't know much about HTIB systems. Maybe someone can chime in and help you out.

Nick
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Dang, your're a picky bitch

I don't know much about HTIB systems. Maybe someone can chime in and help you out.

Nick
Actually, your suggestion would probably net me better sound quality, as I think that a HTIB generally tends to be lower quality stuff in a package. But I like buying it all brand new at one place and don't want to shell out a lot of cash if I can help it, and I've been very satisifed with the HTIB I have now.

When it comes to home audio, I know you're WAY pickier than I am. My ride takes priority to my home when it comes to electronics.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Lifer

The SR800 is OK, but like stated it just does pass-through. I had to return mine when I bought it due to some electrical problems. (It shocked me everytime I touched the HDMI). I think they fixed that issue with a recall on some of them.

I would look at something around $500 range that does what you want, which will include items from Onkyo, Denon, H|K, Sony & Yamaha. You can then spend the rest on filling in the extra speakers you need from your previous HTIB speaker pairings. I know Fry's always has the Polk r300's for around $40/piece and for the price, they're very solid tower speakers.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Actually, your suggestion would probably net me better sound quality, as I think that a HTIB generally tends to be lower quality stuff in a package. But I like buying it all brand new at one place and don't want to shell out a lot of cash if I can help it, and I've been very satisifed with the HTIB I have now.

When it comes to home audio, I know you're WAY pickier than I am. My ride takes priority to my home when it comes to electronics.

You're way better off buying things seperate as opposed to HTIB systems.
I would buy the receiver and find a cheap set of speakers to put in your secondary room. Keep your best set of speakers in your main room.

Nick
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
You're way better off buying things seperate as opposed to HTIB systems.
I would buy the receiver and find a cheap set of speakers to put in your secondary room. Keep your best set of speakers in your main room.

Nick
I just don't think I can get a receiver that does what I want and a separate set of 7.1 speakers (including the sub) for what I'm looking to spend. I need to shop around some more, but I spent some time at Best Buy last night and I now know it can't happen there. The cheapest receiver they had that would do what I need was $600, and they had squat for speaker selection under $500.

I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of quality (higher THD or whatever) that a HTIB brings if I can get it at the right price. I paid less than $500 for my current setup and it's been fantastic. I guess I was hoping that there was a HTIB setup like mine with the HDMI switching for $600-$800. I'd be quicker to spend $1k on the whole thing if it had 3 HDMI inputs and/or TrueHD audio.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Lifer

The issue with HTIB's is that they aim more for convienence rather than quality. You might think you're getting more for less, but normally that's just not the case. The speakers aren't that great, the receiver isn't as good as anything comparable for the price, but bundled in with all the color-matching speaker wire and people think it's a bargain.

If you shop around, you can easily find an equal set of HTIB speakers and buy a nicer receiver and be better off, for less money.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
The issue with HTIB's is that they aim more for convienence rather than quality. You might think you're getting more for less, but normally that's just not the case. The speakers aren't that great, the receiver isn't as good as anything comparable for the price, but bundled in with all the color-matching speaker wire and people think it's a bargain.
I realize that and I am more or less okay with it.

Quote:
If you shop around, you can easily find an equal set of HTIB speakers and buy a nicer receiver and be better off, for less money.
That would be cool. I just got a wakeup call at BB last night as far as their pricing. I'm in no rush so I'll continue to shop around.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Iamwaxman!

Sometimes you can find some pretty good deals through amazon.

If you're not too worried about sound quality, internet buying without hearing it first shouldn't be an issue.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Sometimes you can find some pretty good deals through amazon.

If you're not too worried about sound quality, internet buying without hearing it first shouldn't be an issue.

I try to avoid buying stuff over the internet. Seems like whenever I break down and decide to give it another shot I get burned. Any brick and mortar stores to try for relatively inexpensive stuff other than BB, CC, Frys, or Conns?
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Iamwaxman!

Not for cheap stuff, unless you hit Walmart or Target.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Lifer

Fry's will be your cheapest bet locally. Get BB/CC to price match. Lately, I have had EXTREMELY good luck with CC. They have been VERY flexible on pricing. I've gotten stuff cheaper than I would off the 'net.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Fry's will be your cheapest bet locally. Get BB/CC to price match. Lately, I have had EXTREMELY good luck with CC. They have been VERY flexible on pricing. I've gotten stuff cheaper than I would off the 'net.
Thanks for the info.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 09:11 PM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Quote:

You may just want to use your same speakers so long as they are 6-8ohm.

The yamaha rx-v661bl will do what you seem to be speaking of.

It only passes 1080p but does pull audio from hdmi. It also upconverts all video sources coming in (composite, component, hdmi, s-video) to 720p though one HDMI to the Display.

Its like 520 bucks at best buy.

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZMO
You may just want to use your same speakers so long as they are 6-8ohm.

The yamaha rx-v661bl will do what you seem to be speaking of.

It only passes 1080p but does pull audio from hdmi. It also upconverts all video sources coming in (composite, component, hdmi, s-video) to 720p though one HDMI to the Display.

Its like 520 bucks at best buy.
Either the existing speakers or the new speakers would be used in a different room, so I need a full setup.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Lifer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement