What type of projector screen? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Censored

What type of projector screen?

I am not sure what projector screen type is the best for my application. They have Matte White, Glass Beaded, High Contrast Matte White Fabric , high contrast Matte Gray Fabric , and the list goes on.

I have a 1200 lumens projector, and I dont know what other info would help.

Doors Done Rite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 02:44 PM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_tiger
I am not sure what projector screen type is the best for my application. They have Matte White, Glass Beaded, High Contrast Matte White Fabric , high contrast Matte Gray Fabric , and the list goes on.

I have a 1200 lumens projector, and I dont know what other info would help.
projector model #?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
projector model #?
It is a old school projector, but I got it for free.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sanyo-PLC-XU30.htm

Is there anyway that it can do 16:9 ratio?

Doors Done Rite

Last edited by big_tiger; 01-25-2008 at 04:11 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Lifer

Since you are in this for next to nothing, why not build your own screen? Or do you want a pull down model? A good 100 inch 4:3 screen can be had for less than $150 from: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

If you can dedicate a wall, there are many different routes to take as far as a DIY screen. Check out : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=110
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Lifer

Is the room light controlled? IE is it going to be really dark while using the projector? If not go for a grey screen, it helps to improve contrast. White works better in dark rooms.
It looks like that projector only does 4:3 btw.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:06 PM
In the field

Quote:
It is a old school projector, but I got it for free.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sanyo-PLC-XU30.htm

Is there anyway that is can do 16:9 ratio?

From the specs it looks like it only supports 4:3

edit: my bad, I didnt see the post above about the 4:3

Black on Black 02' Z28
Lowered on Black Z06 wheels

"A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakingfast
Since you are in this for next to nothing, why not build your own screen? Or do you want a pull down model? A good 100 inch 4:3 screen can be had for less than $150 from: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

If you can dedicate a wall, there are many different routes to take as far as a DIY screen. Check out : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=110
I can get a 70 X 70 powered screen for $130. I looked at that route but we make when you can buy it for the same price and get the same quality.

The light is somewhat controlled, I need to put a curtain on my backdoor. The living room's window gets more light in the winter than summer, and has the ugly vertical blinds on it that block off the light. Which ever makes the screen brighter is what I want.

Doors Done Rite
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Boost is Life

A higher gain screen will make a low lumen projector seem brighter. The problem is the higher the gain, the narrower the viewing angle is.

DamonH
2006 F150 SCrew
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Lifer

Brighter also comes at the cost of contrast. And that projector is limited. I would get a white screen with as much gain as possible, and try to control the ambient light as much as possible. The reason that I mentioned DIY, is that you could paint a wall, or even try BOC (black out curtain) on a frame for less than $50 and get good results. I made a 10 foot wide fixed screen from laminate that is kid proof (can be cleaned with soap and water- beaded screens and some others are ruined if a kid puts a dirty hand on it) and works very well for less than $140.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Censored

OK so this is the screen I was considering. Or maybe the manual screen alternative.

http://www.projectorscreenstore.com/...t-p/ec7070.htm

Doors Done Rite
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
OK so this is the screen I was considering. Or maybe the manual screen alternative.

http://www.projectorscreenstore.com/...t-p/ec7070.htm
That screen should work fine for you. To get the 70" width , you are going to have to mount the projector 13 feet from the screen. The projector calculator for that projector is here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sany...ulator-pro.htm
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakingfast
That screen should work fine for you. To get the 70" width , you are going to have to mount the projector 13 feet from the screen. The projector calculator for that projector is here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sany...ulator-pro.htm

It will be. I have to also put it to the side to get out of the way of the ceiling fan. I can still watch 16:9 movies correct, the prjector will just project black on the bottom and top of the image?

Doors Done Rite
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 06:46 AM
Lifer

Quote:
It will be. I have to also put it to the side to get out of the way of the ceiling fan. I can still watch 16:9 movies correct, the prjector will just project black on the bottom and top of the image?
Correct. I have a dedicated 16:9 screen and most movies still have some sort of black bars on them in that format. Alot of directors are shooting in 2.35:1 or similar.

Last edited by sofakingfast; 01-27-2008 at 07:05 AM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:04 AM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:
You want to adjust up or down to move it from the ceiling fan, if you move it to the side your image won't be square.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
You want to adjust up or down to move it from the ceiling fan, if you move it to the side your image won't be square.
This projector can adjust it where it will be square. It was a good projector back in the day. $3500

Doors Done Rite
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:54 PM
We lost one.....

Go to carada screens and ask them to send you a few samples and then you will have an idea of what you want. For me I wanted a high contrast screen and in the end built a DIY screen and painted it with behr silverscreen paint. Its the happy medium since my projector puts out a fair amount of light even in "film mode" so I didn't need or want a white screen.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael101
Go to carada screens and ask them to send you a few samples and then you will have an idea of what you want. For me I wanted a high contrast screen and in the end built a DIY screen and painted it with behr silverscreen paint. Its the happy medium since my projector puts out a fair amount of light even in "film mode" so I didn't need or want a white screen.
I've seen a Silversceen screen and it looked great considering you can build one for less than $50. I ended up using a DIY mix from over at AVS. Think I spent around $80 including all of the paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement