Killer DLP deals right now? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Killer DLP deals right now?

A buddy of mine was just about to drop $600 on an old 50" Phillips demo TV at Walmart. I know there are better deals out there, but I never seem to be as up to date on them as some of you are. If you're bored and have time to post up what deals you already know of, that would be righteous.

50-60" DLP, 1080p, and he wants to buy it locally. He'd prefer something in the $600 range and would be content with something cheap (inferior), but I know he could spend a little more for the right deal.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Lifer

Has he tried Trader's Village?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Lifer

Why does he want a DLP? Juli and I went looking last Saturday and ended up buying a Samsung LCD. You know how our living room is situated, and if you are sitting off to the side, you can't see the DLP very good. The flat screen LCD is very clear from even a 45 or 55 degree angle. Circuit City had them onsale. They are suppose to deliver it on Friday. Want to come over and hook every thing up?

DeWayne

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk
Has he tried Trader's Village?
That's worse than Walmart!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Lifer

That Phillips DLP is junk. I'm 95% sure it's only 720p/1080i too. $600 maybe a little short for what he's looking for, on a newish product, but maybe refurbished open box. It's not too far off though. Let me check around.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12SecondT-Bird
Why does he want a DLP? Juli and I went looking last Saturday and ended up buying a Samsung LCD. You know how our living room is situated, and if you are sitting off to the side, you can't see the DLP very good. The flat screen LCD is very clear from even a 45 or 55 degree angle. Circuit City had them onsale. They are suppose to deliver it on Friday. Want to come over and hook every thing up?
Ya, I can definitely help you hook stuff up if you're serious.

He wants 1080p. He also has no intentions of ever hanging, and has plenty of space for a stand. From what I've seen, 1080p LCDs in the 50"+ range will set you back a lot more than what his budget allows. Which model did you get? Is it 1080p? How big? How much?

I heven't noticed any issues seeing my DLP from those kind of angles.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
That Phillips DLP is junk. I'm 95% sure it's only 720p/1080i too. $600 maybe a little short for what he's looking for, on a newish product, but maybe refurbished open box. It's not too far off though. Let me check around.

I knew it was. I'm just glad I stopped him in time. He'd probably spend a little more for a brand new, better TV.

Also, he swears up and down it's a rear projection 1080p LCD, but that sounded weird to me.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Ya, I can definitely help you hook stuff up if you're serious.

He wants 1080p. He also has no intentions of ever hanging, and has plenty of space for a stand. From what I've seen, 1080p LCDs in the 50"+ range will set you back a lot more than what his budget allows. Which model did you get? Is it 1080p? How big? How much?

I heven't noticed any issues seeing my DLP from those kind of angles.
Here's the deal: I bought the 46" Samsung 1080p for like $1800 and an HD DVR. We needed to buy a big armoire and had to order one so it won't be here for another couple of weeks. I am paying Firedog to come out Friday and hook up the new TV along with the dish receiver, CD player, DVR, and the Yamaha receiver and Bose surround sound. If you can help out, when the new armoire gets here, I would really appreciate it. I know I would screw it up even if all I had to do was unplug something and plug it back in.

DeWayne
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Here's the deal: I bought the 46" Samsung 1080p for like $1800 and an HD DVR. We needed to buy a big armoire and had to order one so it won't be here for another couple of weeks. I am paying Firedog to come out Friday and hook up the new TV along with the dish receiver, CD player, DVR, and the Yamaha receiver and Bose surround sound. If you can help out, when the new armoire gets here, I would really appreciate it. I know I would screw it up even if all I had to do was unplug something and plug it back in.
I can help you with that, no problem.

Sounds like a pretty good deal for a 1080p DLP. It's smaller and a ton more expensive than what this dude is after, which goes back to why he wants DLP.

Have you been to my house since that time my truck broke down? I think I had just gotten the 65" then, but I have since upgraded to a 73". It's retarded big!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I can help you with that, no problem.

Sounds like a pretty good deal for a 1080p DLP. It's smaller and a ton more expensive than what this dude is after, which goes back to why he wants DLP.

Have you been to my house since that time my truck broke down? I think I had just gotten the 65" then, but I have since upgraded to a 73". It's retarded big!
No, mine is an LCD. I haven't been to your house since the Halloween party, I think I was there . I really do appreciate your help and to prove it, I'll have a new handle of Crown nearby.

DeWayne
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
No, mine is an LCD. I haven't been to your house since the Halloween party, I think I was there . I really do appreciate your help and to prove it, I'll have a new handle of Crown nearby.

Ya, that's what I meant. I know yours is LCD. My bad.

Awesome, just let me know when your amoire comes in. Do you have HD Dish programming? What about a Bluray player?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Lifer

Angry

Quote:
Ya, that's what I meant. I know yours is LCD. My bad.

Awesome, just let me know when your amoire comes in. Do you have HD Dish programming? What about a Bluray player?

I bought an HD DVR instead of the Blu Ray. Was that a mistake? Damn, I should have taken you with me.
ANd yes, the Dish guy was out here on Monday to install the new HD equipment.

DeWayne
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
I bought an HD DVR instead of the Blu Ray. Was that a mistake? Damn, I should have taken you with me.
No mistake. Hell, 90% of the stuff I watch is HD satellite programming. It will only be 720p/1080i, but it will be a lot different than what you're used to!

I'd take that over Bluray, if I had to choose. I picked up a PS3 dso I could have a game system and a Bluray player in one.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Lifer

Quote:
The HD DVR was a wise choice. We use the crap out of ours, and it's hard to believe now that we were ever satisfied with TV without it.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Lifer

Actually, I did buy something else now that I think about it. It was something that is suppose to boost regular HD from 720 to 1080p. It was a Samsung, too. I just can't remember what it was. I'll get my receipt out and look at it. Hell, Circuit City was offering 0% interest for 36 months with their credit card. So, I got one of their credit cards and did the deal.

DeWayne
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Lifer

It was the HD DVR that is suppose to "Up Something" to 1080p.

DeWayne
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Lifer

Probably just an up-converting DVD player/recorder.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Lifer

Yeah, that's what it was.

DeWayne
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Dewayne, was it the HD-DVR? That's for your satellite TV, like Tivo.

If you bought an upconverting DVD player, take it back and spend the coin on a PS3. That's my advice. It does the upconverting for regular DVDs just the same, but also plays Bluray movies and of course PS3 games. You can get one for $399 and you'll get at least 5 free movies with it.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Lifer

Hey Jared, or anyone else that would know, what will the effect of the speaker sound be if I use two different types of wire on one speaker? I ran the wires from the surround sound up in the attic and down inside a wall and one wire is too short. Can I splice some monster cable wire to the existing wire (not sure what gauge it is) without screwing something up?

DeWayne
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Hey Jared, or anyone else that would know, what will the effect of the speaker sound be if I use two different types of wire on one speaker? I ran the wires from the surround sound up in the attic and down inside a wall and one wire is too short. Can I splice some monster cable wire to the existing wire (not sure what gauge it is) without screwing something up?
It won't hurt anything.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Lifer

Good, thanks.

DeWayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement