DLP, LCD, Plasma - HD Sports???? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

DLP, LCD, Plasma - HD Sports????

I'm looking for a TV in the 40 - 50 inch range and primarily want to watch HD sports. Which is the best for watching sports? FYI - I have a bunch of gift cards from Best Buy so this is where the TV is going to come from.

2004 F150 SCREW

2000 GT
242rwhp/285rwtq
1/8: 8.93
RIP 2/25/07

www.lockoutforums.com

I Corinthians 9:24 - Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Lifer

People are obviously going to be biased in their recommdations toward what they themselves have. I have a 46" Samsung DLP that's a year old and it has performed flawlessly thus far. The other type I would seriously consider if I were buying a HDTV today would be LCD. BTW wait until after the Super Bowl to buy if you can.....there could be a return of some decent sale prices then.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:06 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Well, if you believe the advertising, DLP is the way to go when watching sports. However I'm happy with my 46" Sharp LCD. I know there are better pictures out there but I think mine has a great balance in price and performance (got it for $1300)

IMO you should go check out StarPower in Addison. They have a large showroom with DLP, Plasma, and LCD screens. Unlike many other stores, they actually took the time to setup their TVs so you'll get a much better idea as to what you'll be getting in picture quality. Their sales people were pretty low pressure too. I didn't buy from them because I already had my eye on the Sharp, which was going on sale for Black Friday. If that were not the case, I would have bought from StarPower because of the service that comes with the TVs they sell. Either way, its a good place to check out TVs.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:09 AM
dead

all of the types you listed are good. you can even add the sony sxrd LCDoS units to that list. just get the one in your price range.

the 1080p dlps will be the best bang for the buck. they are cheap and have a great picture. if you have space and want a tv stand/component rack this the best bet.

if you want wall mountable, then look lcd and plasma. since its primarily hd sports i would do a plasma tv... although i have an lcd and love mine and its just fine on tv/sports fast motion. basically you cant go wrong.

as far as 720/1080... if you see yourself buying a ps3/blu-ray player or a hd-dvd player go ahead and get a 1080p unit. if you go LCD, i personally wouldnt waste the money on a 120hz lcd unit (see my other thread about my opinion on them).

my parents are in the same boat as you. they watch tv, mostly hd programming. nothing 1080p so i am getting them a comercial series 50" 720p panasonic plasma. i think they would like the bigger tv more than the 1080p feature.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
all of the types you listed are good. you can even add the sony sxrd LCDoS units to that list. just get the one in your price range.

the 1080p dlps will be the best bang for the buck. they are cheap and have a great picture. if you have space and want a tv stand/component rack this the best bet.

if you want wall mountable, then look lcd and plasma. since its primarily hd sports i would do a plasma tv... although i have an lcd and love mine and its just fine on tv/sports fast motion. basically you cant go wrong.

as far as 720/1080... if you see yourself buying a ps3/blu-ray player or a hd-dvd player go ahead and get a 1080p unit. if you go LCD, i personally wouldnt waste the money on a 120hz lcd unit (see my other thread about my opinion on them).

my parents are in the same boat as you. they watch tv, mostly hd programming. nothing 1080p so i am getting them a comercial series 50" 720p panasonic plasma. i think they would like the bigger tv more than the 1080p feature.
I was thinking exactly what you posted but just wasn't sure due to the fast motion of the sports. Thanks for your input.

2004 F150 SCREW

2000 GT
242rwhp/285rwtq
1/8: 8.93
RIP 2/25/07

www.lockoutforums.com

I Corinthians 9:24 - Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 AM
I'll miss you Heather :(

Thumbs up

Another vote for the DLP... Pic is clear and sound is great. I've had my 42" since Nov. of '05 and it still looks killer. Although, I will be upgrading soon to a 1080p since the one I bought was 1080i

I'll swap it to 720p when the game is on and it makes a bit of difference.

I have a 37" LCD 720p in the den and it doesn't even come close to the DLP.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
Well, if you believe the advertising, DLP is the way to go when watching sports. However I'm happy with my 46" Sharp LCD. I know there are better pictures out there but I think mine has a great balance in price and performance (got it for $1300)

IMO you should go check out StarPower in Addison. They have a large showroom with DLP, Plasma, and LCD screens. Unlike many other stores, they actually took the time to setup their TVs so you'll get a much better idea as to what you'll be getting in picture quality. Their sales people were pretty low pressure too. I didn't buy from them because I already had my eye on the Sharp, which was going on sale for Black Friday. If that were not the case, I would have bought from StarPower because of the service that comes with the TVs they sell. Either way, its a good place to check out TVs.

The best rule of thumb I ever got on purchasing a TV was if I had the floor space buy the rear projection DLP's. If not, go LCD and hang it.

DLP is my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Mike.. If you go faster than a 6.4 it would be a miracle - unless you have a strong tail wind. That thing is gonna spit chicken bones everywhere..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
ive come closer to 5's then you ever have, and will be deeper in the 5's then you will ever be...just tell me when you will be ready, ill be waiting...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 AM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Plasma or Projection

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Time Served

I love my 50" plasma from samsung
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Time Served

oh and it only ran me $1300 its the S5054 model
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:18 PM
We lost one.....

Pick up a nice projector, HDNEt fights look amazing, I wasn't able to get the HD version of the UFC fight because it came on early in the afternoon, my only guess is that the HD is recorded/broadcast live.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:55 PM
mannish boy

I wanted to get a DLP because the prices are so much better, but the picture brightness and contrast sucks ass compared to a plasma
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
I wanted to get a DLP because the prices are so much better, but the picture brightness and contrast sucks ass compared to a plasma

Same here. I went over to set up Jluv's wireless for his ps3, and I immediately got jealous due to the size of his tv. I started looking around, because his model can be had for a great deal. The picture just isn't as crisp, and the colors just aren't as vibrant.

I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for Samsung to drop the price on their largest LCD tv (57"), for a long fucking time. Guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and deal with a smaller tv than I'd like, for $7000 because the prices aren't dropping at all. The picture quality is just amazing though, so fuck it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:19 PM
mannish boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
Same here. I went over to set up Jluv's wireless for his ps3, and I immediately got jealous due to the size of his tv. I started looking around, because his model can be had for a great deal. The picture just isn't as crisp, and the colors just aren't as vibrant.

I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for Samsung to drop the price on their largest LCD tv (57"), for a long fucking time. Guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and deal with a smaller tv than I'd like, for $7000 because the prices aren't dropping at all. The picture quality is just amazing though, so fuck it.
yeah, it's such a scam how the prices jump like mad when you go up just that little bit in size

I'm probably going to end up with a 50" or so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement