Looking for a Projector? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Looking for a Projector?

If your in the market I would like to suggest Infocus. They have an amazing level of customer service. My projector arrived this afternoon about an hour after the Dish network guy set up our HD service. Got it hooked up in a matter of minutes and it was clear that something was wrong with the projector. I've bought 4 projectors from them starting back over 4 years ago. They are overnighting me another projector. They said that they missed the last pick up for air delivery from UPS but they would try their best to have it to me tomorrow. If it shows I'll be very happy, if not then I have to wait until Monday or Tuesday. But my father said he will lend my his projector so I can still have the UFC fight at my place. Just be sure to but the extended warranty they offer. I've had projectors that never had any issues and some that had so why take the chance if its only $100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Gunga galunga

which model did you get...

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

IN72, they had my replacement here by 10am. I drove out the Corinth to borrow my dads and my wife told me they had just dropped it off. Looks like I'll be upgrading as soon as the 1080p projectors come down a bit in price.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 06:12 AM
Iamwaxman!

Curious how you got the IN72. It's been discontinued since October of 07
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

I've had one since the were released. It replaced my Screenplay 4805. I've had 2 warranty replacement IN72's. They are great entry level projectors. Its a shame they discontinued them after such a short amount of time. I've only owned Infocus but I did get to use a Dell for a few weeks. I've had an X1, X1a, Screenplay 4805, and several IN72's.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Time Served

i would run from digital projectors. they suck. yes i know what im talking about ive had 4. now i run an NEC CRT

00 Excursion PSD tuned and bolt-ons (very quick for 5ton truck )
03 Toyota Prius "MarioKart"
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ssconvertible
i would run from digital projectors. they suck. yes i know what im talking about ive had 4. now i run an NEC CRT

OK
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Time Served

ok so since you tossed the good ole dfwstangs eyeroll, what is your input on the subject? how many of each have you had? the reasons that digitals suck are as follows, fleshtones are garbage. SDE ( screen door effect), bulb life sucks and bulbs are expensive, picture quality sucks, even if you get a warranty they will not want to cover anything. for a million diff reasons such as, you use it too often, or you mounted it too close to the ceiling, or there is a little bit of dust in it. stupid crap like that without even asking how its mounted and all. i had one try to tell me that i didnt supply correct power, until i told them that it was on a monster cable power conditioner. there are only two bad things about crt's, size and setup.

since i have given facts, im sure you will do the same. and again i gave him a website where he can research all that i have said. again i am the one giving advise and not smug comments, but im sure he appreciates the rolling eyes none the less

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Time Served

not to mention the color wheels inside the dlps that like to go out usually before a year. other than how bright they are, theres not much else that is good about them

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Lifer

Quote:
CRTs have thier place as do digital projectors. Not everyone wants a 300 pound monster hanging from the ceiling or having to build a hushbox around the projector to be able to hear the movie. The image produced by a crt is great, but thier are other considerations to take into account.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Time Served

i agree, i never said they were small. i was talking about dollar for dollar

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
not to mention the color wheels inside the dlps that like to go out usually before a year. other than how bright they are, theres not much else that is good about them
Maybe you've had bad luck, but I wouldn't say that as truth... There are plenty dlp front and rear projectors out there with no color wheel issues

Most of the CRT's can't even begin to compete with digital for light out put. So if you want/have some ambient light have fun. They are much more difficult to mount and have more limitations on their mounting positions. The tubes on a crt will and do go out/degrade over time. The tubes maybe rated for 8-9k hours but they will begin to degrade before that (especially green). The cooling fluid used in some of these tubes can become cloudy and must be changed.

Now CRT's may still reign for black levels, but digital is catching up with multi-chip DLP and LCOS units producing some amazing images, and top notch shadow detail! LCD and single chip DLP projectors are amazingly flexible, easy to setup, light weight, quiet, and provide great images. Yeah bulb life may only be 2-3k hours but you can get a 3 year bulb replacement warranty for $90, by the time you've gone through two bulbs you will probably be upgrading anyways. As far as skin tones, you must not have calibrated your color levels, or you have a funky input source

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Lifer

where's the dead horse?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
OK
agreed
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Time Served

have yall both had both types or are ya going off of what people have told you?

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Wouldn't matter since I have no interest in CRTs and I'm happy with the projectors I have owned.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
Maybe you've had bad luck, but I wouldn't say that as truth... There are plenty dlp front and rear projectors out there with no color wheel issues

Most of the CRT's can't even begin to compete with digital for light out put. So if you want/have some ambient light have fun. They are much more difficult to mount and have more limitations on their mounting positions. The tubes on a crt will and do go out/degrade over time. The tubes maybe rated for 8-9k hours but they will begin to degrade before that (especially green). The cooling fluid used in some of these tubes can become cloudy and must be changed.

Now CRT's may still reign for black levels, but digital is catching up with multi-chip DLP and LCOS units producing some amazing images, and top notch shadow detail! LCD and single chip DLP projectors are amazingly flexible, easy to setup, light weight, quiet, and provide great images. Yeah bulb life may only be 2-3k hours but you can get a 3 year bulb replacement warranty for $90, by the time you've gone through two bulbs you will probably be upgrading anyways. As far as skin tones, you must not have calibrated your color levels, or you have a funky input source
Good post. I have bought 2 projectors for myself over the last 6 years and at least 14 for work. I prefer NEC and lately BenQ. I went with a BenQ DLP for the house. I didn't get the "home theater" rated projector because of price/lumens etc. My unit has 2500 lumens, XGA resolution, and 2000:1 contrast ratio. I know that's not as much color depth as many want, but it was only $1200, and that was like 1 1/2 years ago or more. I send a 720p signal to it via a 15 pin connector, and it looks great -- plus it's 120" diagonal. The noise from the unit is minimal. It's very small and compact if it were to be exposed, but I simply made a hole in the wall and mounted it on the shelf in the close on the other side. I framed the hole with molding, and it looks like it belongs there. I'd recommend BenQ right now as my #1 choice over Infocus, Sharp, or others.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Time Served

I'm still running my Infocus 4805, what a great projector for it's time. There's a lot better now, but I'm still happy with it using about a 100" screen. I made a DIY screen for ambient light and it looks pretty good even with quite a bit of light in the room.

Just compared it to a friends PLV-Z4 and I'd take the 4805 picture quality toasted it. Granted it doesn't have as good of resolution, but it gave a much more life-like picture.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

I prefer the picture of the 4805 over my IN72. However, I prefer the lower fan noise of the IN72 over the 4805. Probably wouldn't matter much either way if I had them ceiling mounted though.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 06:08 PM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:
i agree, i never said they were small. i was talking about dollar for dollar
dollar for dollar, how much does a CRT projector cost these days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement