Warner Bros chooses to go with Blu-ray exclusively.. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Warner Bros chooses to go with Blu-ray exclusively..

Can't really say that I'm surprised though...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/04/w...ray-exclusive/

In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros. Entertainment stated today in a press release that it will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year. The announcement was made by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group. "Warner Bros.' move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want," said Meyer. "The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers."

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008. "Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware prices," said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. "Today's decision by Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner."

"A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry," said Tsujihara. "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look forward to working with them on other projects in the future."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 04:55 PM
I. Am. God.

i don't even have a standard def dvd player...

1994 Cobra Pace Car For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56482
only on DFWstangs...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Gunga galunga

Hopefully this will be the tipping point... There are more studios supporting blu-ray exclusively than HD-DVD now. I definitely wouldn't buy a stand alone player for either format yet, but BD's look amazing on the PS3

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 07:55 PM
not exclude

I would shell at the extra cash for a standalone unit that could play both formats right now, but can't seem to find anything. They have drives for the computer, but my little media PC couldn't support it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

You can find the LG one new for around $550-$600 if you look hard enough. I only sold mine not too long ago for $500.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 PM
NES Crew

Wait until all of the contracts expire at the HD camp.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Yeah, it's not really a shock to me. My bet is on streaming HD content.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 10:09 PM
NES Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Yeah, it's not really a shock to me. My bet is on streaming HD content.
What company do you think will be the primary provider?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Iamwaxman!

I could care less who wins this war anymore. Thats why I bought both formats.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 07:37 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
I could care less who wins this war anymore. Thats why I bought both formats.
Yea, I'm planning to buy an HD-DVD player at some point. Rumor is that we're going to start seeing some price drops after CES. I want to watch Transfomers in HD

I still say that BR and HD are both living on borrowed time. IMO the only thing that is blocking total online distribution is bandwidth. But that problem will be disappearing as Google builds more portable datacenters for caching and companies like Verizon build out and ramp up speeds over fibre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement