Degaussing coil for my TV - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Resident Curmudgeon

Degaussing coil for my TV

I need to beg, borrow, or steal a degaussing coil to use on my TV screen... anybody have any ideas?

mardyn

R.I.P. James E. Berry 01/03/57-- 01/14/05

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Back To Normal

If you have an old CRT computer monitor take it to you TV...put it where ever the discoloration is on the TV. Make sure the monitor is plugged in...put the monitor and TV screen to screen as close as you can and hit the degauss button on the monitor. Should fix your problem.

Texan By Birth, Techsan By Choice.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001 GT
If you have an old CRT computer monitor take it to you TV...put it where ever the discoloration is on the TV. Make sure the monitor is plugged in...put the monitor and TV screen to screen as close as you can and hit the degauss button on the monitor. Should fix your problem.
If that wont work, I have access to a degaussing coil. Let me know.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Resident Curmudgeon

Good idea... I've got an old monitor upstairs.... I'll give it a try and report back this afternoon.

mardyn

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Lifer

Did you just move or rotate the tv? It should eventually clear up after a few on/off cycles. All of the newer crt tv's I've seen in the last 20 years have a degauss coil built in.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardyn
Good idea... I've got an old monitor upstairs.... I'll give it a try and report back this afternoon.

mardyn
If that doesn't work, take the largest speaker magnet you can find and move it close to your tv.

j/k.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Resident Curmudgeon

Haven't tried to fix it yet... it's a 34" Toshiba that I purchase in 2003. It did this when I first bought it, I guess when it shipped from where ever, they must have jostled it around... we degaussed it and it's been fine since, until I moved it over to my Mom's house last week.

I'm trying to find a big ass magnet to wave around the screen and maybe get things lined back up.

mardyn

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardyn
I'm trying to find a big ass magnet to wave around the screen and maybe get things lined back up.

mardyn
LOL, don't use a maget ( I was just kidding). It will temporarily magnetize it and make rainbow colors. Just turn it off and on a few times and it should clear it up within a few days.

A degauss coil demagnetizes with AC current, so it removes the magetism. Just like a needle on a compass, the electron beam on a TV is affected by the earth's magnetic field. Even if you rotate the TV on its table, it may get colors on it. Here is link if you want to learn more. When you moved it, it became magnetized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degaussing

Degaussing monitors
Today the most common use of degaussing is in CRT-based TV sets and computer monitors. For example, many monitors use a metal plate near the front of the tube to focus the electron beams from the back. This plate, the shadow mask, can pick up strong external fields and from that point produce discoloration on the display.

To minimize this, CRTs have a copper coil wrapped around the front of the display, known as the degaussing coil. Tubes without an internal coil can be degaussed using an external hand held version. Internal degaussing coils in CRTs are generally much weaker than external degaussing coils, since a better degaussing coil takes up more space. A degauss causes a magnetic field inside the tube to oscillate rapidly, with decreasing amplitude. This leaves the shadow mask with a small and somewhat randomized field, removing the discoloration.

A degaussing in progressMany televisions and monitors automatically degauss their picture tube when switched on, before an image has been displayed. The high current surge which takes place during this automatic degauss is the cause of the audible 'thunk' which can be heard (and felt) when televisions and CRT computer monitors are switched on. Visually, this causes the image to shake dramatically for a second or so.

In most commercial equipment the current surge to the degauss coil is regulated by a simple PTC thermistor device which initially has a low resistance but quickly changes to a high resistance due to the heating effect of the current flow. Such devices are designed for a one-off transition from cold to hot at power up, so 'experimenting' with the degauss effect by repeatedly switching the device on and off is not recommended as it may cause this component to fail. The effect will also be weaker, since the PTC won't have had time to cool off.

Last edited by line-em-up; 01-03-2008 at 10:36 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Lifer

I still have the coil if you need it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Resident Curmudgeon

I may need to borrow that coil for a few minutes... my problem is how to get it. Where are you located?

mardyn

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 06:10 AM
Lifer

I work off of Glade road by 360 on airport property, but I live in Saginaw. I can meet you somewhere though.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm out in BFE, next time I'm gonna' head into town, I'll PM you in advance and see if we can meet up somewhere...

I appreciate your help.

mardyn

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Lifer

no problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement