Best $1k TV? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
The Medium Kabuki

Best $1k TV?

I'm looking to buy a flat panel LCD between 42-47" around $1k. I've done minimal research, as it is mostly over my head. I understand the difference in "i" and "p" and I understand the difference in the resolution #s (720, 1080). I do not understand contrast ratio really, except for the higher # related to :1, the better. Anything else... I don't really know what to look for...

Anyway, please post up any deals you've seen or experiences to look for and/or avoid. I need to buy one this week, but I can wait until after Christmas if there are potentially better deals.

TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relinquished
tou must think i am dumb or returded
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldecharmoy
i know what a long block is and i know what a short block is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 02:21 AM
Turn Your Swag On!

From what I've been told...your eye can only distinguish resolutions 10,000:1 and lower. What all are you planning on hooking up to the TV? If you're going to do everything via HDMI port, make sure your TV has enough HDMI ports. Not sure if there are any of the bigger names available at 42" in 1080p with 10,000:1...might be able to find something such as Westinghouse or a non-current model that has been marked down substantially if you don't care about being current and up-to-date.

In my personal opinion, Samsung has the best LCDs out there.

1955 F-100
2006 S2000
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 07:22 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Contrast Ratio tells you how BLACK the Black colors will be. LCDs have a back light that washes out BLACK to a certain degree whereas Plasma TVs don't. Originally LCD TVs had contrast ratios that were 1000:1 where Plasma's had 10000:1 or better. However affordable LCDs can now have ratios of 5000:1. Higher end TVs have 10000:1 or 15000:1 or better...

However there is a newer rating called a "DYNAMIC" Contrast Ratio. This employs a few new tricks to make the blacks on LCDs appear blacker. For instance, newer LCDs can lower the amount of back lighting to just a small section of the TV to make it appear even darker. There are some drawbacks to this but the overall effect is good. My Sharp 46" has a contrast ratio of 5000:1 but the Dynamic Contrast Ratio is 15000:1.

In summary, higher contrast ratio = better picture.

Hope that helps...

Keep an eye on the Frys ad (link to ad in Dallas morning news is below)

I expect they'll have another good sale on Monday and the day after Christmas. You'll probably be able to find what you want.....

Right now Frys has a 40" Samsung 720p LCDs for $1000. However they have some really good prices on higher end models too.

http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=2519

As for Brands, Samsung, Sony, and Sharp have the best LCD screens. I agree with Swag that Samsung has the best on the market but the other two are pretty damn close.

When it comes to low end LCDs, there is only one brand to know, VIZIO. Don't go with anyone else. However with the sales going on right now, you're better off buying a higher end TV.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

For that kind of budget, the samsung is great...

You need to post up your intentions with the tv... Do you leave it on for hours at a time? Do you want to use it as a computer monitor? Do you accidently leave your tv on? Do you watch lots of VERY high action films? Does the room have a lot of light?

Plasma:
better contrast ratios (better picture)
uses more power
can have burn in (now a days it doesnt happen much)
dont want to leave it on all day with a static image
heavy (weight)
screen is reflective...so less light in the room is better
cheaper

LCD:
can leave them on forever and not worry
no burn in
not so great contrast ratios unless you want to spend the big bucks
better with high levels of lights in the room
more expensive

that will give you a basic idea. I went with plasma because it fits my situation better. low levels of light in the room, better picture, I use it as a computer monitor without any burn in issues. Its also cheaper.. At the time I paid $2000 for a 60" LG plasma... I could have gotten a 46" LCD for the same price..both 720p/1080i.

Also, one other thing. If you are not going to buy blu-ray or HDDVD, dont bother with a 1080p set.. nothing is broadcast in 1080p...its all 1080i. Your satellite tv and local high def is all 1080i. 1080p takes a shit ton of bandwidth and right now its just not gonna happen broadcasting it. By the time they start broadcasting 1080p, that technology will be old and cheap.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Sonic Blue :O

i have a vizio 37" lcd and have no problems and picture looks great on my 360 :P it costed 780 at wal mart i think.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Time Served

I did the vizio 52" at Sams for $1169.00 great pic

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tungvertgt
I did the vizio 52" at Sams for $1169.00 great pic
I am SO considering that. Can you get the extended warranty? How is the sound. I'm putting it over a fireplace, and don't have many options for sound enhancement.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
The Medium Kabuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
For that kind of budget, the samsung is great...

You need to post up your intentions with the tv... Do you leave it on for hours at a time? Do you want to use it as a computer monitor? Do you accidently leave your tv on? Do you watch lots of VERY high action films? Does the room have a lot of light?
Wife and I watch TV at night only. Usually on the weekends it's on from 8am-midnight. It's always off when we go to bed and when we leave for work, so avg daily use would be 6 hours a day. The room has a 6'W x 7'H sliding glass door that faces east. So, when we're watching TV, it's dark out and we usually have one floor lamp on, and maybe a light from another room. I mainly want the TV for sports. I don't have a game system and don't plan on getting one, and we don't watch movies that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
Also, one other thing. If you are not going to buy blu-ray or HDDVD, dont bother with a 1080p set.. nothing is broadcast in 1080p...its all 1080i. Your satellite tv and local high def is all 1080i. 1080p takes a shit ton of bandwidth and right now its just not gonna happen broadcasting it. By the time they start broadcasting 1080p, that technology will be old and cheap.
Wow... thanks. This TV will be our living room TV while we live in Phoenix, but we're going to be moving in 3 years when I will upgrade because the place we will be staying in PHX is smaller and when we move in 3 years, we will be buying a house that will be much bigger. Hopefully, this will serve as my garage TV after a few years, so 1080i will be fine. That should save me a few $$.

Also, I have Sam's and Costco cards. I had a Vizio 37" and it was ok, but I went and looked at a Bravia and that $hit was bada$$. I can't afford that, but maybe one day.

Also, I just got the wife to up the budget to $1300.

Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
The Medium Kabuki

What about this Samsung for $1299 from Fry's???

Marked down to $1299!

SAMSUNG LNT4661
46" 1080P LCD HDTV

SAMSUNG:
FRYS.com #: 5199896
Samsung's 46" LN-T4661F LCD delivers the full brilliance of HDTV with decor-enhancing style and industry-leading value. Enjoy the incredible detail of 1080p resolution, the endless color range of 16-bit processing, the finely nuanced tones of a 10,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, and the quick motion of an 8ms response time. With the amazing SRSTruSurroundXT™ system, full-bodied sound comes from two bottom speakers. Three HDMI ports, USB 2.0 and full connectivity lets you add DVDs, camcorders, PCs and a range of other digital devices; HDMI-CEC capability lets you control all CEC-compatible devices with one remote.

In stock, same day shipping

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detailed Description | Tell a friend| Warranty Info

larger view
Price: $ 1,999.99

Quote:
Quote:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c

Marked down to $1299!

SAMSUNG LNT4661
46" 1080P LCD HDTV

SAMSUNG:
Samsung's 46" LN-T4661F LCD delivers the full brilliance of HDTV with decor-enhancing style and industry-leading value. Enjoy the incredible detail of 1080p resolution, the endless color range of 16-bit processing, the finely nuanced tones of a 10,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, and the quick motion of an 8ms response time. With the amazing SRSTruSurroundXT™ system, full-bodied sound comes from two bottom speakers. Three HDMI ports, USB 2.0 and full connectivity lets you add DVDs, camcorders, PCs and a range of other digital devices; HDMI-CEC capability lets you control all CEC-compatible devices with one remote.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

larger view

I have a 32" Samsung LCD that is 1080p, and it has a more crisp, colorful picture than any TV I've ever seen.

I need a larger tv for the living room, and the one I want (Samsung 1080p 57" LCD is around $8000. I might end up getting this same 46". I really wanted something larger, as I think I need at least a 50" tv in this room, but there really aren't any deals out there that seem right price wise. At least not that I've found.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Gunga galunga

If you're not dead set on flat screen there are some killer deals on rear projection... You can get a lot more screen for less $$

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c

Marked down to $1299!

SAMSUNG LNT4661
46" 1080P LCD HDTV

SAMSUNG:

larger view
Thats the same one I bought my wife for the bed room. I think it looks great. Mine was $1443 shipped from Fry's.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement