Home Theatre - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Hmmm
 
slowimport96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,066
Home Theatre

I am not looking to spend much 100-300 tops. Just wondering what I need to look for in a decent system. I have high def everything just no surround sound. Any help is appreciated, Thanks...
slowimport96 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wichita Falls
Posts: 298
i have a Yamaha 5.1 system in the shop sounds good rattles the walls. Got it from Best Buy
one slow 5.0 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:34 PM
I hate ghetto niggers
 
aCid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 3,081
Wallyworld for that much...

aCid is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Lifer
 
Mark04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 1,136
Mark04 is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Lifer
 
Mark04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 1,136
That was a refurb. Here it is new:
http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?...il=1&ext_war=1
Mark04 is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Big "foot"
 
BLAKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Around
Posts: 19,217
You're not going to get anything "decent" for that kind of money in most people's opinion, but that Onkyo setup doesn't look too bad. Really, you're hard pressed to get a good amp or speakers for that kind of money, much less both.

BLAKE is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Hmmm
 
slowimport96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE
You're not going to get anything "decent" for that kind of money in most people's opinion, but that Onkyo setup doesn't look too bad. Really, you're hard pressed to get a good amp or speakers for that kind of money, much less both.

how much for a good system.. something that hooks up using hdmi, wireless speakers any good? ..
slowimport96 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Lifer
 
Mark04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowimport96
how much for a good system.. something that hooks up using hdmi, wireless speakers any good? ..
If you want to have HDMI switching (audio and video - most lower end "HDMI" switching recievers only switch video) then plan on spending $600 just for the reciever. Wireless speakers have thier place, but I've never heard any that sounded as good as wired speaker costing a third of thier price.
Mark04 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Hmmm
 
slowimport96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakingfast
If you want to have HDMI switching (audio and video - most lower end "HDMI" switching recievers only switch video) then plan on spending $600 just for the reciever. Wireless speakers have thier place, but I've never heard any that sounded as good as wired speaker costing a third of thier price.

I want a surround sound that will sound nice with blu-ray dvds and tv movies, sports etc.
slowimport96 is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
i bought a jvc thc-60 home theater in a box because i was on a tight budget at the time after my hdtv purchase. works great, sounds great, looks great, but does not have earth shattering bass response with a 6 5/16" sub woofer. they are fairly cheap and easy to set up.

my advice is to not go too cheap or you will regret it. the downside of a wallyworld $100 audivox HTIB system, is that it sounds like a $100 system. total crap.

shop around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 05:51 AM
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
my advice is to not go too cheap or you will regret it.

No disrespect, but I disagree......to a point

Right now, I have a very nice system, and I worked very hard to get it(and spent a crap load on it). But, I started with a very cheap HTIB system. I think my entire system cost around $500 when I started this. It included a Sony reciever, 5 Sony satilite speakers and a small Sony powered sub. After a while, I upgraded the sub to a high end, deep bass hitting monster. This made a HUGE difference in the entire system! After a couple of more months, I upgraded the speakers to a set of full range speakers. Then I started upgrading the reciever to processor, and bought an amp. All in all, I've spent WAAAAY too much money for the system I have now, and I'm still not finished, I keep adding pieces to this system.

If you don't have the money for a badass system, just get a cheap HTIB system as a starting point. Something you can upgrade piece by piece, as you feel the need. Just make sure the system you buy comes with a seperate reciever(no dvd/reciever combo) and a powered sub. If you use that as a starting point, you can upgrade to whatever you want. All pieces will be interchangeable with pretty much anything on the market from less expensive pieces, to top of the line stuff.


One question though, how big is your room that you're putting this system in? If it's anything like a normal livingroom, and you're anything like me, then I think you will be totally unhappy with the sub that comes with the cheaper HTIB systems. It will just not have enough power to give you that deep bass that most people want from movies. Smaller livingrooms will be fine with a smaller sub, but once you get into the larger livingrooms(like in a house), the smaller sub just doesn't cut it.


Just my $0.02

Nick
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
No disrespect, but I disagree......to a point

Right now, I have a very nice system, and I worked very hard to get it(and spent a crap load on it). But, I started with a very cheap HTIB system. I think my entire system cost around $500 when I started this. It included a Sony reciever, 5 Sony satilite speakers and a small Sony powered sub. After a while, I upgraded the sub to a high end, deep bass hitting monster. This made a HUGE difference in the entire system! After a couple of more months, I upgraded the speakers to a set of full range speakers. Then I started upgrading the reciever to processor, and bought an amp. All in all, I've spent WAAAAY too much money for the system I have now, and I'm still not finished, I keep adding pieces to this system.

Nick
If you read what I wrote above, I was specifically referring to those ultra cheap $100 - $150 HTIBs you can get off the impulse isle in the electronics section at Wallyworld. I too have one of those $500 HTIB starter systems and it sound great. The only weakspot is the undersized sub (like you said), which is par for the course with HTIB systems. However, I don't have the luxury of upgrading my subwoofer with my JVC system. It has a proprietary plug between the sub and the receiver. The amplifier for the entire system is also in the sub woofer housing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
my advice is to not go too cheap or you will regret it. the downside of a wallyworld $100 audivox HTIB system, is that it sounds like a $100 system. total crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.

Last edited by Mustangman_2000; 12-18-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
If you read what I wrote above, I was specifically referring to those ultra cheap $100 - $150 you can get of the impulse isle in the electronics section at Wallyworld. I too have one of those $500 HTIB starter systems and it sound great. The only weakspot is the undersized sub (like you said), which is par for the course with HTIB systems. However, I don't have the luxury of upgrading my subwoofer with my JVC system. It has a proprietary plug between the sub and the receiver. The amplifier for the entire system is also in the sub woofer housing.

Ahhh, got it. Sorry

Cheap systems are ok. Just make sure you get one with a powered sub, and an actual reciever. That way you can upgrade later on if you choose.


Sorry about the confusion mustangman_2000
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 08:01 AM
dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,611
go get a part time job at an electronics store.

my stuff costs around 3500 retail, i think i spent about 1500.
momo stallion is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 08:10 AM
dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,611
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo...oductDetail.do

not too bad at all. ive heard their old 5.1 HTIB and i thought it was decent for under 500.
momo stallion is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
Leah bought me an Onkyo 5.1 system from CC (I think) for like $260 and it sounds excellent. Granted, i am not the audiophile that some here are but the bass is solid and loud and the speakers are clean. I am very happy with it.

Here it is..

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo...oductDetail.do

The only down side is that it doesn't have HDMI, so I cannot run the PS3 through it and into the TV (so you can use the tuner to change sources). But that is a small issue anyhow. It has two optical inputs, S Video and plenty of component.

The receiver has a ton of options and settings I am still playing with.

BTW.. Our room is large and this system keeps up. (20'x17')

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Hmmm
 
slowimport96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo...oductDetail.do

not too bad at all. ive heard their old 5.1 HTIB and i thought it was decent for under 500.

Read some of the reviews, sounds like an awesome system for the cash. Now time to find out when to buy this.. Thanks

oh and they mentioned something about optical audio cables?
slowimport96 is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowimport96
Read some of the reviews, sounds like an awesome system for the cash. Now time to find out when to buy this.. Thanks

oh and they mentioned something about optical audio cables?
The receiver will have optical inputs. If your DVD and Cable / Sattelite have optical outputs it will give you the best sound.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 528
also if you want HDMI to put out in video and audio from the reciever look around $1200 just for a reciever. They go up from there.
bulldawgs75 is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgs75
also if you want HDMI to put out in video and audio from the reciever look around $1200 just for a reciever. They go up from there.
The Onkyo linked by Momo has HDMI and is $460...

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome