photographers need help!! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

photographers need help!!

Ok I am in the market for a digital camera I have been looking at the canon rebel xti and a few nikons.. Do you guys have any suggestions? I would like something that is for a intermediate user that I can grow with as I learn more about photography... I seen people post some killer pics that have been taken with a few nikons d200 and a few others... Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Hired Hand

I have the Canon EOS 30D, it is very impressive and pretty easy to use. Almost bought the Nikon D 80, also a very nice camera, just came down to the deal I got on the Canon.
A friend that has the Canon Rebel XTI, it is a little cheaper and still takes great pictures.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 05:02 PM
You never go full retard

x2 on the EOS 30D. I've got one and love it. I'd say it's perfect for an entry level professional camera. Good pictures aren't going to just come from the camera itself though, it's the perfect lighting and knowing how to compensate for the not so perfect lighting, photo composition, but more importantly it'll be in the lenses you buy. You can't expect good pictures without spending the money on good lenses. Just keep that in mind.

The best thing to do is go to a store and handle them. I can't stand how the Nikon D40 and D50 feel because they have smaller grips, and that goes for the Rebel too. You want something that will be comfortable for you.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 07:31 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

You really can't go wrong with Canon, Nikon, or even Olympus. The only reason to avoid Olympus is if you want to buy a bunch of lenses because they have a proprietary lens mount (the 4/3rds mount) Nikon and Canon make their own lenses but there are several 3rd party lens makers as well.

Performance wise all 3 brands (even the entry level DSLRs) are FANTASTIC. Canon tends to take the edge in reviews but both Nikon and Olympus are rated high as well.

Panasonic and Sony are new arrivals in DSLR cameras. Panasonic's Lumix line does not look like a typical DSLR but it has fantastic Leica lenses. They have gotten some really fantastic reviews but they don't really have an entry level DSLR and their camera is bulky and heavy.

Sony bought their way into DSLR by buying Konica/Minolta's camera division. The Sony Alpha 1st generation camera was well received and has a really good selection of lenses but it did have some drawbacks. It is also pricey.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Well I tell you guys I was kinda looking at the Canon rebel xti and the Nikon d80 I feel either one of them would be good for me I think lol but do you guys feel the Canon eos 30d is it much better than the ones I mention?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt_jesse
Well I tell you guys I was kinda looking at the Canon rebel xti and the Nikon d80 I feel either one of them would be good for me I think lol but do you guys feel the Canon eos 30d is it much better than the ones I mention?
the 30d is a damned nice camera, but I really love the D80 as well.

Both of them are a bit much camera for a beginner photographer, but if you've got the money and the patience to learn, it just saves you from wanting to buy a nicer camera down the road.

I personally really love the Nikon d40x, due to the great price, multiple lenses come with the camera, and additional lenses are readily available. it's nice and small for a DSLR, but also easy to use.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Hired Hand

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Gunga galunga

You can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon IMO... I think Canon looks slightly, and I mean slightly better at higher ISO settings, I just like the way it controls noise better.

If you shoot in raw and take out the built in processing variable, you wouldn't be able to tell a bit of difference between the images from either camera. I would look at price and feel, its important to choose a camera that fits well, and handles well. Also play with the menus and see which you are more comfortable with.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 01:29 PM
DERP DERP DERP

D40, or a D40x, best deal for a good starter slr camera.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement