HD DVR Package - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Colorado Dreamin'

HD DVR Package

Anyone know of an HD satellite package that includes the DVR? Dish, who we are with now, wants to charge us.. Direct TV's HD DVR makes you pay $199 for the HD DVR.. We would like to upgrade to HD but I would hate to lose the DVR functionality and don't want to pony up $200.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
Anyone know of an HD satellite package that includes the DVR? Dish, who we are with now, wants to charge us.. Direct TV's HD DVR makes you pay $199 for the HD DVR.. We would like to upgrade to HD but I would hate to lose the DVR functionality and don't want to pony up $200.

Even cable charges extra for the DVR.

They have one price for a normal box.
$5.99 (I think) for HD.
An additional $5.99 (I think) if you want the HD box to have a DVR.
Or $5.99 for your normal box to have a DVR.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 01:33 PM
is chilaxing

I have Direct and they charge extra for HD and extra for HD dvr

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
Even cable charges extra for the DVR.

They have one price for a normal box.
$5.99 (I think) for HD.
An additional $5.99 (I think) if you want the HD box to have a DVR.
Or $5.99 for your normal box to have a DVR.
I don't mind paying an extra few bucks for the box per month, I am saying that the advertisements seem to indicate that you have to buy the HD DVR box.

Like this:

Quote:
Over 200 channels, including locals†
HD Access included
DVR service included to pause, rewind and record live TV
Over 30 premium movie channels FREE for 3 months
Requires an HD DVR receiver for only $199, after $100 INSTANT online rebate††

Price reflected includes a $20 bill credit per month for 12 consecutive months after mail-in redemption.
THE PLUS HD DVR™ PACKAGE
View Channels Choose

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Lifer

I can't imagine television life now without a DVR. We have the DirecTV HD+DVR now and paid the price for the box, but as I like to say "It's only money".

Looking at my bill, we do not get charged an additional monthly fee for the HD+DVR box, which makes sense because we bought it

Last edited by Mr Majestyk; 12-13-2007 at 01:46 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 07:39 PM
I'm on a boat.

Yup... I'm with DirecTV now and they wanted $299 for it. They offered it for $199 if I signed a two year contract. I called up AT&T and switched to Dish Network. Basically got the same channels I had before but now with an HD reciever with DVR. I paid $49 up front for installation, but they're giving that back in a mail in rebate. I won't own the box with Dish Network, but I don't really care about that. The monthly bill will be almost exactly the same.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 09:33 PM
i win.

we just pay extra monthly for directtv dvr hd. didnt have to buy the box, send it back when we are done.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 06:19 AM
Time Served

you dont pay for the box through fios. and rental i believe is 12.99 per month, and picture is great
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Time Served

Yea plus a 20 $ bill CREDIT for 12 months ! Bend over & touch your toes Bitch .
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Lifer

DTV runs specials every now and again. I just bought the receiver off eBay and then had it activated because I didn't want to wait for a special. Besides, I paid $6k for a damn HD Plasma, I figure the $10 monthly and the $250 I paid for the box is a drop in the bucket.

Also, if you go to buy one, make sure it is compatible with the new DTV channels, the HR10-250 is not compatible with all of the new HD channels that DTV just added.

--wes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Time Served

im a DTV dealer, and can get free, but i have FIOS, if that tells you anything.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
you dont pay for the box through fios. and rental i believe is 12.99 per month, and picture is great
We don't get Fios in our area.. Well, I guess we can get that Userv stuff, or whatever it is called, just didn't really like that package.

As far as the money, after the TV and now a stand needed for it, and the PS3, I am just trying to avoid another $200 our the door if I can.

90 Bronco

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B
Yup... I'm with DirecTV now and they wanted $299 for it. They offered it for $199 if I signed a two year contract. I called up AT&T and switched to Dish Network. Basically got the same channels I had before but now with an HD reciever with DVR. I paid $49 up front for installation, but they're giving that back in a mail in rebate. I won't own the box with Dish Network, but I don't really care about that. The monthly bill will be almost exactly the same.
I re-signed with Direct TV two years ago and got two DVR's for free.........but they were not HD. I am switching to FIOS in two weeks tough.

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
im a DTV dealer, and can get free, but i have FIOS, if that tells you anything.

You like to waste money???

Why don't you enlighten us?

--wes
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Lifer

Unless you're getting incredibly bad service from your current provider I wouldn't switch. We've had cable, Dish, and DTV (no FIOS in our area) and we are going to stay with the latter.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 02:59 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

If you want HD with DVR and satellite you'll have to pay $200, no way around it. Charter has a month to month HD DVR box but it's like $15 extra on top of regular HD service. Dish will waive the DVR monthly fee if you've got Dish Platinum, saves you $7 a month.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 06:31 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman
You like to waste money???

Why don't you enlighten us?

--wes
Fios is simply alot better. I never lose services. i dont care how bad the damn storm is. Dtv, you end up losing all or one of the sats every time it storms. I dont know if that problem can ever be resolved. And the Fios to me has alot better HD picture as well as reg. feed. and i want the best possible feed for my hungry $10K proffesional commercial monitor.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 05:35 PM
too many projects!

Location: you cant drink all day if you don't start in the morning
I am in almost the same boat as you. I am with Direct Tv. I need a new HD-DVR as well. I have a friend of a friend that works for Direct Tv and I hope he can help. Even if I buy a Direct Tv Hd-DVR off ebay they still consider it leasing their equipment ($5 a month for the box).

PHUKET
A coward dies a thousand deaths
A soldier dies but once.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Colorado Dreamin'

FYI, Dish has a promo right now for $99 for an HD DVR and 6 months free HD programming. Plus, they give you a mail in rebate (credit) for $100 making the net on the HD DVR free. This may be for current non-HD customers only, but I am not sure. I just know that they said we qualify for it. The offer expires 1/31.

90 Bronco

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Lifer

AT&T. I got mine for free through them and it's free for the first twelve months.

*Theirs is also fiber optic.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSlow01
AT&T. I got mine for free through them and it's free for the first twelve months.
I have Dish via AT&T (combined billing bundled with home phone and DSL). You got an HD DVR and programming for free? Was it a new customer promo?

Edit.. Oh, just saw your edit. You mean that Uverse? I have heard some negative things about it which has prevented me from switching. Is it true that you can record and / or watch up to 5 channels and view playback on any box? That woudl be pretty sweet.

90 Bronco

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I have Dish via AT&T (combined billing bundled with home phone and DSL). You got an HD DVR and programming for free? Was it a new customer promo?

Edit.. Oh, just saw your edit. You mean that Uverse? I have heard some negative things about it which has prevented me from switching. Is it true that you can record and / or watch up to 5 channels and view playback on any box? That woudl be pretty sweet.
I haven't heard anything bad about it yet, but I didn't really do much research. Yes, you can record and watch up to 5 channels and view playback on any box. I have 3 boxes, and I've used all 3 to watch something that I recorded on a separate box. I can also call up the DVR from my cell phone or the internet and tell it to record shows without touching it.

Oh, and I'm also a new customer...
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Colorado Dreamin'

Here's the Dish Package for anyone interested..

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/o...hd/index.shtml

90 Bronco

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:34 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Chili, are you an existing customer with Dish or DirectTV?

When I converted to HD with Dish they wanted to charge me 199 upfront. I told them I'm already paying them 100 a month and have been doing so for five years and I'll certainly take my 1200 a year somewhere else.

After two supervisors I got everything installed and upgraded for free.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Worship me

Damn this shit is nuts. I have TWC and when I got my TV I just went down and got a HD box with the DVR in it for another few bucks a month.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Chili, are you an existing customer with Dish or DirectTV?

When I converted to HD with Dish they wanted to charge me 199 upfront. I told them I'm already paying them 100 a month and have been doing so for five years and I'll certainly take my 1200 a year somewhere else.

After two supervisors I got everything installed and upgraded for free.
Dish.. With this deal I won't have to pay anything so no biggie, but good point. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
Damn this shit is nuts. I have TWC and when I got my TV I just went down and got a HD box with the DVR in it for another few bucks a month.
I used to have TWC but have been much happier with Dish.

90 Bronco

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSlow01
I haven't heard anything bad about it yet, but I didn't really do much research. Yes, you can record and watch up to 5 channels and view playback on any box. I have 3 boxes, and I've used all 3 to watch something that I recorded on a separate box. I can also call up the DVR from my cell phone or the internet and tell it to record shows without touching it.

Oh, and I'm also a new customer...

I work for at&t and this is true. If anybody wants to switch over send me a PM I can give you a hook up (no contract, no act, no install with some promotions)
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Colorado Dreamin'

DISH HD was installed today and I had them move the DVR we already had to the boy's rooms so now we have DVR on 4 TV's (2 and 2). $99 up front with a $100 mail in rebate and 6 months free HD programming.

90 Bronco

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
DISH HD was installed today and I had them move the DVR we already had to the boy's rooms so now we have DVR on 4 TV's (2 and 2). $99 up front with a $100 mail in rebate and 6 months free HD programming.
I just did the same thing and love it.

1989 coupe
2006 R6S

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
We had TWC (formerly ComCast) and got their HD DVR box when they first started offering it. It worked fine, but we went to satellite because the number of HD offerings from TWC was miniscule compared to DirecTV at the time, and still is. I understand though that TWC is going to be able to offer many more HD channels in the future by changing their transmission protocols; instead of sending all their signals to your receiver at once as is currently done they will only send the channel to which you are tuned. That will solve the bandwidth capacity limitations that traditional cable systems (other than fiber optic) now face.
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:29 PM
We lost one.....

I've been with dish for 4 years and upgraded today to the HD DVR package. Cost me $99 upfront, I'm getting a $100 rebate. 3 months HBO/Showtime for free, HD dual tuner DVR, and 1 yr free HD programming. Had to do an 18 month commitment. Its an extra $20 a month for the HD so I'll only have to pay 6 months at the increased price. By then I'm sure there will be a better deal on HD programming. Can't wait to get this hooked up to my projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement