Satelite providers & HDTV - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
I'm on a boat.

Satelite providers & HDTV

We're getting an HDTV and currently have DirecTV. I can pay $299 for their HD reciever with DVR or swap to another provider and probably get a lot better deal. Should I just pay the money, or is there another HD provider worth switching too. I don't mind signing a contract if I get a smoking deal.

All I really care about watching in HD is sports, Discovery Channel, and local stations. I don't need any obscure HD channels. We have to have DVR, otherwise I'd just buy their regular HD reciever for $99 and be done with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Lifer

Find out what deals Dish Network offers and compare the two. We cancelled Dish several years ago, went with Comcast cable (who was fine), Comcast became Time-Warner cable (who was not fine), we cancelled them and went with DirecTV. No more changing here, as we like their service fine so far. As far as local channels you should be able to get them in HD with an off-air antenna. I wanted some of the movie channels for use with our HD DVR, and there are many of those now offered in HD on DirecTV and I am sure on Dish Network as well.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
I'm on a boat.

Forgot to mention that DirecTV charges $9.99 per month for HD channels. I thought that's what the reciever is for?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 04:13 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk
Find out what deals Dish Network offers and compare the two. We cancelled Dish several years ago, went with Comcast cable (who was fine), Comcast became Time-Warner cable (who was not fine), we cancelled them and went with DirecTV. No more changing here, as we like their service fine so far. As far as local channels you should be able to get them in HD with an off-air antenna. I wanted some of the movie channels for use with our HD DVR, and there are many of those now offered in HD on DirecTV and I am sure on Dish Network as well.

You'll only be able to pull locals in HD through an antenna IF you have an HD tuner.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 04:14 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B
Forgot to mention that DirecTV charges $9.99 per month for HD channels. I thought that's what the reciever is for?
Nope. You still have to pay for programming. Dish Network is $20, but it's worth it imo.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:31 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
You'll only be able to pull locals in HD through an antenna IF you have an HD tuner.
Most HD televisions have, or ought to have, a built in HD tuner by now. The Samsung DLP we bought last year has one. We don't have to use an antenna ourselves for the local channels, since they are included with the DirectTV programming package we have. Most, if not all, cable and satellite providers now offer the local channels as far as I know.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:46 AM
Yes.....its a V6.

I switched from dish to direct tv but man these monthly bills are killing me now $102 a month! For the first 4 months it was like $69 = tax.

These are the demands and sayings of Duncan.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:47 AM
dead

yea, thats the retarded thing i hate about directv. since you're already a customer you get shafted on the equipment.

if you are out of contract, i bet if you call to cancel they will bend over.

i havent read any of this thread but maybe someone else feels the same:
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...hlight=directv
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:47 AM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
I switched from dish to direct tv but man these monthly bills are killing me now $102 a month! For the first 4 months it was like $69 = tax.

you did the nfl package huh? i did that last year as a returning customer. they wouldnt do it again for me since they had me under contract.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Lifer

I thought about getting the NFL package myself but didn't do it this year. For comparison to other providers, DirecTV is running me $95.26 a month now, with one HD DVR receiver, one (leased) digital receiver with DVR, and two movie channels.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Yes.....its a V6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
you did the nfl package huh? i did that last year as a returning customer. they wouldnt do it again for me since they had me under contract.
Ha! I dont even have the nfl package.....But I do have a shit load of other channels. I have had it for 6 months now and still find channels I didnt know I had.

These are the demands and sayings of Duncan.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 07:12 AM
dead

Quote:
I thought about getting the NFL package myself but didn't do it this year. For comparison to other providers, DirecTV is running me $95.26 a month now, with one HD DVR receiver, one (leased) digital receiver with DVR, and two movie channels.

i'm paying 65 a month for total choice + the expanded sport package + hd and 2 hd receivers.

then cause i complained to directv about something i get a 10 dollar credit each month now.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Lifer

PLUS HD DVR service here, with HBO and STARZ added on for another $24/month. We are also getting the $10.00/month credit for 12 months.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 08:34 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Most HD televisions have, or ought to have, a built in HD tuner by now. The Samsung DLP we bought last year has one. We don't have to use an antenna ourselves for the local channels, since they are included with the DirectTV programming package we have. Most, if not all, cable and satellite providers now offer the local channels as far as I know.
Ya, I have mine through the Dish. But there are still HDTVs sold without tuners built in.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
I'm on a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
yea, thats the retarded thing i hate about directv. since you're already a customer you get shafted on the equipment.

if you are out of contract, i bet if you call to cancel they will bend over.

i havent read any of this thread but maybe someone else feels the same:
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...hlight=directv
Yeah, I called and told them I was cancelling and they only offered $100 off their HD DVR reciever. It's $300 regular so I'd still be out $200. I called and switched to Dish Network. I don't care about NFL Sunday ticket since I can't afford it anyway.

I got the Top 100 + HD + Locals for $60 per month with a one time activation of $50. I've got a "bundle" now since I already had their phone and internet services. All three services comes to $87.56 per month plus tax.

Supposes to install on Saturday... I'm happy!
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
I'm on a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
This is the TV I bought. It says built in tuner, but I need to add an antenna???
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Full tilt boogie !!

anyone have Fios cable tv

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 11:45 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
This is the TV I bought. It says built in tuner, but I need to add an antenna???
You'll need to use the tuner and an antenna to get locals in HD unless you get them through your dish or cable provider.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
I'm on a boat.

Just found out the locals through Dish Network are already in HD. Whew!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 12:30 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:

Then you can ditch the antenna unless you think you'll ever need channel 21 or 33 in HD. Those won't be in HD through Dish Network, but 4,5, 8, and 11 will be.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
I'm on a boat.

Yeah, 4, 5, 8, and 11 will suffice. I really just need 5 to see the mole on Al Michaels face during Sunday Night Football.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Sonic Blue :O

i pay i think 135 a month with time warner i hae one hd reciever and two regular digital boxes for other two rooms, and i have all movie channels, starz,hbo,cinemax,showtime,encore which i think is starz? and tmc

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Every provider, satellite or cable, that I know of offers that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement