Playstation 3 owners... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Playstation 3 owners...

I've been contemplating buying a Blu Ray player for a while now. I'm already a HD DVD owner, but I want some of the movies that are on Blu Ray. Plus, I want to be prepared when one of these formats go down(if that ever happens).

I can get a stand alone Blu Ray player for around $450, or I can just get a Playstation 3 for around $400. If I get the PS3 I will be getting rid of my Xbox360.

Now my question is, how good is the PS3 as a Blu Ray player? I have very high expectations on my movies, and the perfect picture quality is a must have! I don't want to get rid of my Xbox for a PS3, only to be let down with the picture quality, and have to get another Blu Ray player.
I perfer HD DVD over Blu Ray, but HD does not have all of the movies that I want.

If I get a stand alone BR player, it will be the Panasonic DMP-BD30K.

Anyone have any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 10:06 AM
You never go full retard

Whatever you do, make sure you've got ALL of the HD shit you need for your tv/receiver/whatever... including cables. From talking to the guys at starpower if you don't have all that extra shit then you'll just be wasting time and money.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
Whatever you do, make sure you've got ALL of the HD shit you need for your tv/receiver/whatever... including cables. From talking to the guys at starpower if you don't have all that extra shit then you'll just be wasting time and money.

Trust me, I have everything.....and then some

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
I've been contemplating buying a Blu Ray player for a while now. I'm already a HD DVD owner, but I want some of the movies that are on Blu Ray. Plus, I want to be prepared when one of these formats go down(if that ever happens).

I can get a stand alone Blu Ray player for around $450, or I can just get a Playstation 3 for around $400. If I get the PS3 I will be getting rid of my Xbox360.

Now my question is, how good is the PS3 as a Blu Ray player? I have very high expectations on my movies, and the perfect picture quality is a must have! I don't want to get rid of my Xbox for a PS3, only to be let down with the picture quality, and have to get another Blu Ray player.
I perfer HD DVD over Blu Ray, but HD does not have all of the movies that I want.

If I get a stand alone BR player, it will be the Panasonic DMP-BD30K.

Anyone have any input?
Picture wise, it's just as good as any other BD player for the most part. It will accept 1080p/24 natively and paired with a 120HZ TV, it looks phenomenal.

There are also constant firmware updates as well. If you're wanting to go BD, no real point in not having it.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Picture wise, it's just as good as any other BD player for the most part. It will accept 1080p/24 natively and paired with a 120HZ TV, it looks phenomenal.

There are also constant firmware updates as well. If you're wanting to go BD, no real point in not having it.

Is it worth giving up the Xbox360? I have no need for 2 game consoles. So if I get the PS#, then the Xbox will have to go.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Lifer

I wouldn't get rid of the 360, you won't get much in return for it. They're so cheap to buy new, it wouldn't be worth the return, just have both like I do and never play them.

As far as gaming, right now, I don't consider the PS3 to be much of a gaming system, specifically for what I do with it. Just not many games and the online system compared to XBL sucks. But, to each their own. Buy the PS3 for the blu-ray and it's a bonus if you find a game you like playing as well.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 11:06 AM
is chilaxing

It's awesome. It will also upconvert regular DVD's. I think the games are good so far. I believe next year they will have some banging games though. Also like Grant said, it has firmware upgrades about every month to two months.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Time Served

i will bring my PS3 over and let you borrow it
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Semi-Banned

Shot me a price on your xbox 360 with whatever stuff you've got for it Nick.

I am looking for one for my son.

thanks.

-tony
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Time Served

if you are gonna sell the xbox i wanna buy it back from you.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Bobby, why don't you just swap me for the PS3?
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Time Served

i will let you borrow it
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 03:07 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

If you want to see what the blueray picture from a PS3 is like, you can come see it at my place in Lake Dallas. I can tell you that it is f'ing phenomenal.

BTW, the XBox was rated rather poorly as a DVD and HD-DVD player but the PS3 was rather highly. Also, the new update for the PS3 will enable many of the features for BlueRay that have been expected for a while. It should be mentioned that there are no disks capable of using those extra features but they are coming...

However, I think you should keep the 360. I sold mine last year and I still regret it. I have missed Halo3.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 03:19 PM
We lost one.....

PS3 is HDMI 1.3 ready also.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
If you want to see what the blueray picture from a PS3 is like, you can come see it at my place in Lake Dallas. I can tell you that it is f'ing phenomenal.

BTW, the XBox was rated rather poorly as a DVD and HD-DVD player but the PS3 was rather highly. Also, the new update for the PS3 will enable many of the features for BlueRay that have been expected for a while. It should be mentioned that there are no disks capable of using those extra features but they are coming...

However, I think you should keep the 360. I sold mine last year and I still regret it. I have missed Halo3.

You live next door to Matt, correct?

I only use the Xbox for games, not movies. I have a dedicated Toshiba HD DVD player for the movies.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 09:15 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Yea, right next door to Matt. I'll PM you my phone number. Just call me if you want to check it out tomorrow. I'll be home watching the games and laying tile. I've got a lot of remodeling going on so you'll have to excuse the mess

This week is going to be hectic with migration work, so after tomorrow I won't be free for a week.

If you're using it only for games, keep it. If you're anything like me, you'll regret getting rid of it. The PS3 is the superior piece of hardware but the 360 has a vastly better game library.

BTW, don't forget, if you buy a PS3, you get 5 free blue ray disks, not including the Spiderman3 disk that is already included. Frys had a deal where they gave away another 5 blue ray disks.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 09:41 AM
yes, jluv

It's badass as a Blu Ray player. There aren't a whole lot of games available, though. That said, I'm not much of a gamer, but I've enjoyed the crap out of the few games I've played so far. Resistance: Fall of Man, Lair, and Ninja Gaiden are all sweet.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 10:49 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
It's badass as a Blu Ray player. There aren't a whole lot of games available, though. That said, I'm not much of a gamer, but I've enjoyed the crap out of the few games I've played so far. Resistance: Fall of Man, Lair, and Ninja Gaiden are all sweet.
The lack of games for a system that has been out for just over a year is a big disappointment for me. Then there are the really anticipated games that have been so delayed that they are almost qualified for vaporware (I'm looking at you MetalGearSolid4)

However there are some real winners out there like Call of Duty 4 and Warhawk.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Well, I rarely have time for games. Maybe 3-4 hours a week at the most. If I purchased one, it would be mainly for movies. But I do like to play a game every now and then.

So having the Xbox and the PS3 would be a waste. 1 gaming system is more than enough for me. Think I'm just going to sell the Xbox, and buy a PS3, or find someone that wants to do some trading.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:03 AM
"SHOW HIM THE BIRD!"

i only want the ps3 for the blu-ray and grand turismo.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider5.0
i only want the ps3 for the blu-ray and grand turismo.
ditto... What do you play on Xbox? See if the titles you already like are available on the PS3, or if any of the platform specific titles are something that you want.

Gran turismo is going to be sweet!

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Well, I went ahead and bit the bullet tonight. Bought the PS3

Games look a ton better on the PS3. I had Call Of Duty 4 on the Xbox, and I bought it with the PS3 tonight. Looks soooooo much better!
Started a movie just to get a look at it, and the picture quality looks very good. Spiderman came with the PS3. I'd put it right on par with my Toshiba HD DVD player. I couldn't turn up the volume very loud, so I can't comment on that part yet.

Now to sell the Xbox
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 07:44 PM
NES Crew

I think you made a good choice.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Crackalack!

I use my PS3's wireless LAN to serve as a Media server. I have a ton of music on my PC, so now I have instant access to it and it's wired into my stereo system, etc. Great for some background music or whatever in the house when folks are over or if you're just chillin.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:01 PM
is chilaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hatton
I use my PS3's wireless LAN to serve as a Media server. I have a ton of music on my PC, so now I have instant access to it and it's wired into my stereo system, etc. Great for some background music or whatever in the house when folks are over or if you're just chillin.

Off subject.
What sucks is that I haven't figured out how to stream my playlist that's on my media player over to ps3. Regular music folders stream, just not the playlist.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Crackalack!

Which media player are you using? I had bad luck w/ Itunes, so I'm using Windows Media Player or whatever it's called now... works much better. Not sure about the playlists... I'll check it out and see...
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:52 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hatton
Sounds cool. I wish I knew what that meant or how to do that kind of stuff.

<-- computer dummy
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 04:19 PM
is chilaxing

I'm using WMP, but I might try using Winamp.

Jluv...
If you use WMP, just go tools/option/library tab...click on config sharing. You should see you ps3 in there.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 04:32 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa
I'm using WMP, but I might try using Winamp.

Jluv...
If you use WMP, just go tools/option/library tab...click on config sharing. You should see you ps3 in there.
I don't think I use WMP. I don't even have my PS3 hooked up online.

Seriously, I am way behind when it comes to computer stuff. I have an Ipod Video but I can't download songs on it for shit.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Hamilton Racing Ownz U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
I wouldn't get rid of the 360, you won't get much in return for it. They're so cheap to buy new, it wouldn't be worth the return, just have both like I do and never play them.

As far as gaming, right now, I don't consider the PS3 to be much of a gaming system, specifically for what I do with it. Just not many games and the online system compared to XBL sucks. But, to each their own. Buy the PS3 for the blu-ray and it's a bonus if you find a game you like playing as well.
Good advice, thats what I did... kept the 360s for main gaming, use the PS3 for an occasional game (GT5, Metal Gear 4, etc) and mainly a B/R player... I'll be getting the Denon 2500BT in a few months, but it won't be till I move back, and I didn't want to wait to get a BR...

The picture rocks on the PS3 Nick, you are in the same boat I was, just don't get rid of the 360...

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement