A/V Reciever is too big - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

A/V Reciever is too big

Ah what a mutha F'in' PITA.

I installed some wall mounted cabinets for all my HT equipment. I knew in advance that it was a close fit but I didn't allow enough room for the cables. Of course HDMI cables and optical cables aren't very flexible at the connector ends.

Fortunately I found 90 degree adapters for both the HDMI and toslink connectors. I can get coaxial adapters at Frys later today. That should solve my problem. Until then my A/V unit is sticking 2 inched out of the cabinet

Also, the HK AV receiver has a couple of little drawbacks. The HDMI connectors are only for pass thru signals. Its basically just a switch in that regard. Thats why I have to have an optical audio line. However, even though there are two optical audio input ports, only ONE works with one of the HDMI ports. The other HDMI port works only with the Coaxial digital input. That would be ok but neither my HD DVR or my PS3 have Coaxial outputs. So I had to order a Toslink to Coaxial converter. Again, a PITA.

All told, the HDMI adapters ran $5 each. The toslink adapter was $5 and the Coaxial converter was $15. Fortunately everything but the toslink adapter was available on Monoprice.com. I found the Toslink adapter on Ebay...

I went ahead and hooked up everything I could and put a support under the AV receiver so it would be stable inside the cabinet. After all that F'ing work, I wanted to hear some friggin' sound. I finally got everything working at 9pm. Just in time to watch the Fox 4 news. By then I was too tired to watch anything on HBO or MAX.

All told, I think I've spent over $3500 on this setup. The new TV, the AV receiver, Polk speakers, PS3, cabinets, cables and connectors, and a piece of my sanity.

At least I can now watch the Cowboys, Saints, and LSU in HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 06:39 AM
Founding Member

Why not notch the wall out or the back of the cabinet?

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19
Why not notch the wall out or the back of the cabinet?
That is the last resort but I'd like to leave it as clean as possible. The right angle connectors should do the job though.

I can't wait to get it done and show off the pictures to everyone. I'm really happy with how it looks. I just need to get that AV unit set back properly.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 02:17 PM
yes, jluv

So because the HDMI inputs are only pass-throughs, they can't serve as an actual audio input for the receiver? That sucks. Good to know, I will be double-checking that when I upgrade. I've had my eye on an Onkyo with HDMI pass-through, and I just assumed it would bring audio to and through the receiver.

FWIW, the PS3 will actually play 7.1 content, but will not carry the 7.1 signal across an optical cable. It requires HDMI.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
So because the HDMI inputs are only pass-throughs, they can't serve as an actual audio input for the receiver? That sucks. Good to know, I will be double-checking that when I upgrade. I've had my eye on an Onkyo with HDMI pass-through, and I just assumed it would bring audio to and through the receiver.

FWIW, the PS3 will actually play 7.1 content, but will not carry the 7.1 signal across an optical cable. It requires HDMI.
Thanks for the info on the PS3. However I'll be fine with 5.1 for now. I'm not going to wire up the rear speakers anyways because I'm selling the house next year. At that time I seriously consider upgrading to something that has HDMI ports that can use HDCP.

I'll have pics up next week when everything is done. It really does look great. Its amazing what can be accomplished with some cheap Ikea cabinets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement