LCD's - what gives? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

LCD's - what gives?

God how I hate HD TV.
I have been researching for months now and everytime I think I have made up my mind I read something that throws me off.

I started with a 50" DLP Samsung...looked great but the image would bow at the bottom so it went back.

I was thinking plasma but when I went to best buy I say the LCD's just looked so much crisper in a way.

So I started looking at LCD's 120 ghz etc....but it seems they have issues as well...Trible Ball Effect...Jittering....Ghost images...

Is it always going to be a compromise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 04:19 PM
not exclude

I ended up going with Plasma because I liked the picture over any of the LCDs in my price range. But after doing a lot of research there is one thing I noticed: most of the "defaults" or "compromises" are greatly exaggerated.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
I ended up going with Plasma because I liked the picture over any of the LCDs in my price range. But after doing a lot of research there is one thing I noticed: most of the "defaults" or "compromises" are greatly exaggerated.
On both sides or LCD?

Also as far as Plasma goes I just here to many burn in story's regaredless of brand or pixel shift etc...I would leave it on overnight with stocks on and be screwed.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Resident Epicurean

I've got a Samsung LCD, and my picture is vastly better than any other tv I've ever seen. HD, non HD. Doesn't matter. I'm not saying it's the best out there, but it's by far better, more crisp, more bold picture than any tv I've seen personally. It stood out from everything else on the shelf when I bought it.

The only complaint I have is that it's too small. They now make a 57", but it's $8000. I want it BADLY. I've been waiting on it to come down in price, but it hasn't and it's been out a while now.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 04:36 PM
NOT AFGHANISTAN ANYMORE!!

Just wait for the laser projection TV's to hit the market in the near future.

Dallas news reports Tony Romo tried to commit suicide last night!

Fortunately he dropped the gun and the bullet was intercepted!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
I've got a Samsung LCD, and my picture is vastly better than any other tv I've ever seen. HD, non HD. Doesn't matter. I'm not saying it's the best out there, but it's by far better, more crisp, more bold picture than any tv I've seen personally. It stood out from everything else on the shelf when I bought it.

The only complaint I have is that it's too small. They now make a 57", but it's $8000. I want it BADLY. I've been waiting on it to come down in price, but it hasn't and it's been out a while now.

I am a huge Samsung fan, I think it is one of the best but to be honest if I had the money PINOEER all the way,

Which model do you have?

I have been looking at the LN-T4069fx.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown03_GT
Just wait for the laser projection TV's to hit the market in the near future.
From what I have read it's all hype and wont deliver...

Seems to me to be just like a DLP but instead of a Bulb it uses lasers...

DLP don't hold there image well...around the boarders...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 04:42 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT93Style
On both sides or LCD?

Also as far as Plasma goes I just here to many burn in story's regaredless of brand or pixel shift etc...I would leave it on overnight with stocks on and be screwed.
On both sides. Burn in partially depends on the model, partially depends on how you treat it. I have had no problems with mine, but I also treat it fairly responsibly. /shrug
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 05:11 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
From what I have read it's all hype and wont deliver...

Seems to me to be just like a DLP but instead of a Bulb it uses lasers...

DLP don't hold there image well...around the boarders...

My DLP is doing fine so far. I like DLP because you can get outstanding picture and huge screen size on the cheap. I do want 1 (maybe 2) flat panels to hang on the wall though because it could change (for the better) the entire layout in two of my rooms. But shit, have you priced a 1080p plasma or LCD? They are insane.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
My DLP is doing fine so far. I like DLP because you can get outstanding picture and huge screen size on the cheap. I do want 1 (maybe 2) flat panels to hang on the wall though because it could change (for the better) the entire layout in two of my rooms. But shit, have you priced a 1080p plasma or LCD? They are insane.
Not really, I payed $1300 for my DLP Samsung 1080p...took it back...looked at every DLP they had (Samsung) and they all had the same issue.

I am looking at a 40" Samsung LCD 1080p, 20000:1 Constrast ratio, 120 ghz, 8ms refresh rate for $1599 with free shipping.
I think prices have really fallen.

Now that price is online...it is an authorized samsung store though.
Best Buy has it for $1799.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 06:20 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Not really, I payed $1300 for my DLP Samsung 1080p...took it back...looked at every DLP they had (Samsung) and they all had the same issue.
Strange. I have not had that issue with the Mitsus I've owned.

Quote:
I am looking at a 40" Samsung LCD 1080p, 20000:1 Constrast ratio, 120 ghz, 8ms refresh rate for $1599 with free shipping.
$1600 for 40 inches? Maybe they have fallen, but they are still high as hell. I have only been shopping prices for the past couple of months. But what I was saying is that compared to DLP, the 1080p plasmas and LCDs are insanely high. But screen size is important to me. 40" might work in the bathroom or something.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 08:14 PM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Quote:

Now that price is online...it is an authorized samsung store though.
Best Buy has it for $1799.

That contrast ratio is dynamic. Its prolly closer to 3-4k:1 at best. ITS AN LCD.

Oh and from what I've seen 120hz is pretty smooth but has been described by many people as "fast fowarding" some people even think its dizzying...

Another thing I've noticed about LCD manufacturors (sony and samsung) is that most of all the commercials are in slow-mo. This is due to LCD's having refresh rates and they don't want you noticing the motion blur.

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.

Last edited by KOZMO; 12-06-2007 at 08:23 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 06:13 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Haven't had that issue with ours and it's about a year old now.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Lifer

There are some picky people when it comes to TVs as well as other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement