Plasma vs LCD - TCO? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Plasma vs LCD - TCO?

I have been a fan of plasmas for a long time. Have a 42" in my office and a 50" in my living room. A friend had a Sony Grand VVega LCD projection TV that recently died. Personally, I never cared much for the picture and for it being Sonys flagship model at the time, I was disappointed. There was jaggies during action scenes and it wasn't as bright and crisp as my plasmas.

Well that was few years ago and recently it died so I figured he would be thinking of plasmas now that plasma pricing has levelled off. Well, evidently not, he went and bought the same model again. He claims he did the research and the plasma's are much more power hungry than the LCD's. WTF? I never thought of that. Most people are scared of the advertised shorter display life. Not me, but the power thing did get my attention. I know they put off more heat but thats probably a plus during the cooler season.

Has anyone done any comparative research on the total cost of ownership between an LCD (projection or direct display) and the same size plasma? Am especially interested in costs to operate between the two.

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
1996 Sea-doo Challenger jet boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 08:25 AM
not exclude

If you are worried about how much power they consume, you shouldn't be buying a pricier TV. Go with a 19" tube.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Lifer

I have always liked LCD's, the one issue is the size they come in. A true flat panel LCD is hard to come by over 42". I just got a 60" LG Plasma and did a ton of research on LCD vs Plasma's, and of various TV's.

I saw several DLP LCD's that looked incredible, but my space required a flat panel so those were out. I ended up with the plasma because the LCD's are non-existant in the size I wanted/needed.

--wes

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyler
I have been a fan of plasmas for a long time. Have a 42" in my office and a 50" in my living room. A friend had a Sony Grand VVega LCD projection TV that recently died. Personally, I never cared much for the picture and for it being Sonys flagship model at the time, I was disappointed. There was jaggies during action scenes and it wasn't as bright and crisp as my plasmas.

Well that was few years ago and recently it died so I figured he would be thinking of plasmas now that plasma pricing has levelled off. Well, evidently not, he went and bought the same model again. He claims he did the research and the plasma's are much more power hungry than the LCD's. WTF? I never thought of that. Most people are scared of the advertised shorter display life. Not me, but the power thing did get my attention. I know they put off more heat but thats probably a plus during the cooler season.

Has anyone done any comparative research on the total cost of ownership between an LCD (projection or direct display) and the same size plasma? Am especially interested in costs to operate between the two.

I have both, LCD on the smaller ones like my bedroom, and plasma in the living room, getting a DLP for the game room I have an old HD projection in the game room right now. I like the LCD on 32inch or smaller any bigger I think the crispness goes away but I think it is to each his own.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
If you are worried about how much power they consume, you shouldn't be buying a pricier TV. Go with a 19" tube.
No, not me - its actually my friend. I am curious though how much of my monthly utility dollars are spent running plasmas over LCD. Moreover, am curious to see if the difference is marginal, and comes out to say less than $10/mo. To me the difference in image quality would be worth it. I dont think he's cranking the math all the way thru to actual dollars spent.

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Lifer

This is a debate I'm looking at right now...I'm putting a TV over my fireplace in a new place. I need a set in the 46"-50" size. Price IS a consideration, and so is the 780p-1080p issue, also. I'm kind of inundated by all the info out there, and it's becoming a little confusing.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 09:26 AM
not exclude

God damn you guys are cluster fucking his thread. No one has come near to addressing let alone answering his question.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 09:28 AM
dead

lol... buying a tv and worrying about cost of powering it is just stupid.

lcd > lcd projection
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Lifer

Not to mention the math/effort involved to come up with the educated guess...How's the lighting where the TV will be?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
God damn you guys are cluster fucking his thread. No one has come near to addressing let alone answering his question.
Maybe no one knows. To know "total" cost, you would have to own them both for a few years to compare true cost of operation.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyler
No, not me - its actually my friend. I am curious though how much of my monthly utility dollars are spent running plasmas over LCD. Moreover, am curious to see if the difference is marginal, and comes out to say less than $10/mo. To me the difference in image quality would be worth it. I dont think he's cranking the math all the way thru to actual dollars spent.

Negligible at best Mike....I'd guess the Jukes are sucking more power than all your TV's combined

--wes
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

yeah, thats what I'm thinking. I wanted to tell him that it can't be THAT much more $ and that the image difference is probably worth it. All things considered, he's a simpleton and thinks that with the money he is saving, he can afford to buy his wife a new LG washer and dryer set. (fat chance)

I'd sooner believe he's going by what some sales guy told him so he could sell another Grand VVega and make his quota for November.

Personally, I'm sold on plasma. Even with the slightly higher operating costs, the supposed shorter life, the more delicate construction and higher expense to fix, the quality is about the best there is right now. I don't spend that much time watching TV anyway but when I do, I want to go first class.

And yeah, those old tube style jukes probably do suck some juice. I never really operated those with any regularity. Only turn them on when partying or guests are over. Other than that, they are expensive lamps.

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Time Served

phillips has an ambilight model in 42 and 47" and are fairly reasonable priced. There are plenty of near 50" lcd's out there and if you are like me and have a wife who leaves the tv on pause for half an hour or more, you would prefer the lcd. I have come home to my plasma screen burnt in many times.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/0,239035250,240036500,00.htm

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
This is a debate I'm looking at right now...I'm putting a TV over my fireplace in a new place. I need a set in the 46"-50" size. Price IS a consideration, and so is the 780p-1080p issue, also. I'm kind of inundated by all the info out there, and it's becoming a little confusing.
I wouldnt mess with the costs of 1080p right now...unless you are going to dump money on a hddvd / bluray player, its not worth it.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:56 PM
dead

another thing to keep in mind on the 720 vs 1080 argument...
if you are hooking up a computer to your LCD tv, do you want to run your resolution at 1365 x 768 or 1920 x 1080?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement