Need a good in attic antenna - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Darkside

Need a good in attic antenna

I don't want dish or cable. It's actually for my Moms house. I have had hell finding and antenna that works well where she lives. She has an outside antenna that has about a 6' boom on it. I went to radio shack and bought one with a 13' boom on it. The fucking 6 footer that is falling apart worked better. I would really like to find one that I could stash in her attic so the elements don't beat it to death. Any suggestions?

"Time is the best teacher.........unfortunately it kills everyone of its students"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Custom Title

have you tried one of the ones that are like on the top of the TV, not rabbit ears, but the newer smaller antenna's? They are like 30 bucks at Best Buy

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstang
have you tried one of the ones that are like on the top of the TV, not rabbit ears, but the newer smaller antenna's? They are like 30 bucks at Best Buy

I haven't in a while. Every antenna I have tried sucks big time. I have tried amplified and the rabbit ear'd antenna that came with the TV worked better. But that has been several years ago.

"Time is the best teacher.........unfortunately it kills everyone of its students"

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

buy one of those amplified rabbit ear antennas at walmart and if it doesnt work, take it back. Lots of people have been getting good results on digital reception with those cheap ones.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Custom Title

I had one that looked like this before and it worked very well. It was not an amplified one, and was like 39 bucks. I had to move it occasionally, depending on the wind, but it worked on either side of the TV adn got channels, 4,5,8,11,13,21,27,33 in HD (and others I never watch).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1118844608800

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Lifer

check to make sure she doesn't have a radient barrier decking on the house. If she does the attic antena will not work at all, no matter what type you buy.

Photobucket
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Custom Title

Actually, I have this one at my house that I used until DirecTv came out and installed the satelite. You can have it for $20 if ya want to try it out.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1122653825071

Edit: we have the radiant barrier installed, and it still worked pretty good. Only channel 11 had a hard time coming in. It was placed within 8 feet of a large window tho, on the ground (behind the TV)

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Lifer

Dude.. I've got a big attic antenna I need to get rid of! (thanks jluv! )

It's about 6' and looks like a fake Christmas tree... I'm sure you can pick up TV signals from Albequerque with the thing.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:58 PM
yes, jluv

The advantage of a small set top antenna over a big attic one is that if/when you need to make any adjustments, it's a hell of a lot easier to move and tweak the set top and see the real time results vs climbing up into the attic and moving somethinga nd having to climb back down to see if it worked.

Before I got the HD locals through the Dish, I would get a couple of channels but then needed to move the antenna to get another. That sucks when you have to crawl up there every time.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
The advantage of a small set top antenna over a big attic one is that if/when you need to make any adjustments, it's a hell of a lot easier to move and tweak the set top and see the real time results vs climbing up into the attic and moving somethinga nd having to climb back down to see if it worked.

Before I got the HD locals through the Dish, I would get a couple of channels but then needed to move the antenna to get another. That sucks when you have to crawl up there every time.

That does suck. The roof top one I had at our old house picked all of them up, pretty good too, with no adjustments after I got it set the first time. It was an old antenna too, like the ones from the 70's people had to use back then.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Darkside

Quote:
I had one that looked like this before and it worked very well. It was not an amplified one, and was like 39 bucks. I had to move it occasionally, depending on the wind, but it worked on either side of the TV adn got channels, 4,5,8,11,13,21,27,33 in HD (and others I never watch).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1118844608800

I was actually looking at that one last week. I may purchase it and see how it works. Thanks Where the heck do you put it? On top of the TV?

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
That does suck. The roof top one I had at our old house picked all of them up, pretty good too, with no adjustments after I got it set the first time. It was an old antenna too, like the ones from the 70's people had to use back then.
I will be getting a huge antenna when I get my 70' tower set up.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 02:24 PM
i win.

if you decide to go with an in-attic antenna, just make sure you dont have any kind of aluminum insulation. it takes a lot of the signal away. maybe a cover for an outside antenna might be cheaper.

just my $.02 from previous experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement