Any A/V installers on the board? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Any A/V installers on the board?

Are there any installers on the board that have experience installing a flat-panel above the mantle on a fireplace? My parents are wanting to put a 42" LCD above their fireplace, but are not sure about the best way about going about the wiring. Would it be feasible to fish the wiring between the firebox and the brick?(assuming there is enough room) If anyone on the board has any input or would be interested in doing the job, shoot me a PM.

SC300 5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Lifer

Just had a 60" LG put up two weeks ago, paid BestBuy to do it. I figured it'd be worth it to save myself the headache of dropping the TV or screwing something up. I also had a coupon from AAA that gave 20% off of install. Well worth it IMO.

--wes
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

What did it run you, ballpark? A couple of people I have talked to have said that the difficulty in running the wires through the fireplace would run the price of installation up close to that of the TV itself, which seems insane to me.

SC300 5spd

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Lifer

how far away from the top of the ceiling is the tv going to be? You could always use a small plastic conduit painted to match the wall if there isn't going to be much space between the top of the tv and the ceiling.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

you can run the cables behind the brick in most cases but its a PAIN IN THE ASS.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

The TV will sit about 18" from the ceiling, but my parents are set on having the wiring hidden. I ran the idea about using a conduit painted to match(the brick is painted white) but they are dead set on running the wiring through the brick....

SC300 5spd
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Lifer

do you have attic access to get a drill up there?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Lifer

Best Buy charges $500 to hang it. I paid $400 with the AAA coupon (they didn't even verify membership)

They'd go through the brick behind the TV and then fish from there.

They charge a $100 consultation fee, that is refunded if they do the work.

So, I paid $100, they came over and took a look at it. The said no problem. I bought the TV and paid for install etc which was $400 with the AAA coupon (which I think I may still have an electronic version of I can send you if you want it). They refunded the $100 for the consultation, so it was $400 total for install.

Their install includes programming of the remote (I used my Direct TV remote to turn on/off the TV, Volume etc). They also hook up the surround sound, DVD player, cable/direct TV box etc. so be sure to have the proper cables and such and they'll run them all at once (I had them run my HDMI cables and an extra one in case I need it in the future)

Well worth it IMO, nice to let them in the door, go about your business and come back and the TV is hung and programmed etc.

--wes

-
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
do you have attic access to get a drill up there?
Yes.

SC300 5spd
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Lifer

Get a long bit. LOL!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsr20de
Are there any installers on the board that have experience installing a flat-panel above the mantle on a fireplace? My parents are wanting to put a 42" LCD above their fireplace, but are not sure about the best way about going about the wiring. Would it be feasible to fish the wiring between the firebox and the brick?(assuming there is enough room) If anyone on the board has any input or would be interested in doing the job, shoot me a PM.
you sir have a pm
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Lifer

You've got email.

--wes
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman
Best Buy charges $500 to hang it. I paid $400 with the AAA coupon (they didn't even verify membership)

They'd go through the brick behind the TV and then fish from there.

They charge a $100 consultation fee, that is refunded if they do the work.

So, I paid $100, they came over and took a look at it. The said no problem. I bought the TV and paid for install etc which was $400 with the AAA coupon (which I think I may still have an electronic version of I can send you if you want it). They refunded the $100 for the consultation, so it was $400 total for install.

Their install includes programming of the remote (I used my Direct TV remote to turn on/off the TV, Volume etc). They also hook up the surround sound, DVD player, cable/direct TV box etc. so be sure to have the proper cables and such and they'll run them all at once (I had them run my HDMI cables and an extra one in case I need it in the future)

Well worth it IMO, nice to let them in the door, go about your business and come back and the TV is hung and programmed etc.

--wes

-
pic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement