Any A/V installers on the board? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: DFW/SFA
Posts: 492
Any A/V installers on the board?

Are there any installers on the board that have experience installing a flat-panel above the mantle on a fireplace? My parents are wanting to put a 42" LCD above their fireplace, but are not sure about the best way about going about the wiring. Would it be feasible to fish the wiring between the firebox and the brick?(assuming there is enough room) If anyone on the board has any input or would be interested in doing the job, shoot me a PM.

SC300 5spd
txsr20de is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Lifer
 
wesman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cedar Hill,Tx
Posts: 2,142
Just had a 60" LG put up two weeks ago, paid BestBuy to do it. I figured it'd be worth it to save myself the headache of dropping the TV or screwing something up. I also had a coupon from AAA that gave 20% off of install. Well worth it IMO.

--wes
wesman is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: DFW/SFA
Posts: 492
What did it run you, ballpark? A couple of people I have talked to have said that the difficulty in running the wires through the fireplace would run the price of installation up close to that of the TV itself, which seems insane to me.

SC300 5spd
txsr20de is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
how far away from the top of the ceiling is the tv going to be? You could always use a small plastic conduit painted to match the wall if there isn't going to be much space between the top of the tv and the ceiling.

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
you can run the cables behind the brick in most cases but its a PAIN IN THE ASS.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: DFW/SFA
Posts: 492
The TV will sit about 18" from the ceiling, but my parents are set on having the wiring hidden. I ran the idea about using a conduit painted to match(the brick is painted white) but they are dead set on running the wiring through the brick....

SC300 5spd
txsr20de is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
do you have attic access to get a drill up there?

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Lifer
 
wesman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cedar Hill,Tx
Posts: 2,142
Best Buy charges $500 to hang it. I paid $400 with the AAA coupon (they didn't even verify membership)

They'd go through the brick behind the TV and then fish from there.

They charge a $100 consultation fee, that is refunded if they do the work.

So, I paid $100, they came over and took a look at it. The said no problem. I bought the TV and paid for install etc which was $400 with the AAA coupon (which I think I may still have an electronic version of I can send you if you want it). They refunded the $100 for the consultation, so it was $400 total for install.

Their install includes programming of the remote (I used my Direct TV remote to turn on/off the TV, Volume etc). They also hook up the surround sound, DVD player, cable/direct TV box etc. so be sure to have the proper cables and such and they'll run them all at once (I had them run my HDMI cables and an extra one in case I need it in the future)

Well worth it IMO, nice to let them in the door, go about your business and come back and the TV is hung and programmed etc.

--wes


-
wesman is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: DFW/SFA
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
do you have attic access to get a drill up there?
Yes.

SC300 5spd
txsr20de is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Get a long bit. LOL!

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsr20de
Are there any installers on the board that have experience installing a flat-panel above the mantle on a fireplace? My parents are wanting to put a 42" LCD above their fireplace, but are not sure about the best way about going about the wiring. Would it be feasible to fish the wiring between the firebox and the brick?(assuming there is enough room) If anyone on the board has any input or would be interested in doing the job, shoot me a PM.
you sir have a pm
dangerous_sep is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Lifer
 
wesman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cedar Hill,Tx
Posts: 2,142
You've got email.

--wes
wesman is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Lifer
 
2K2 LS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: HOA Hell!!!!
Posts: 7,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman
Best Buy charges $500 to hang it. I paid $400 with the AAA coupon (they didn't even verify membership)

They'd go through the brick behind the TV and then fish from there.

They charge a $100 consultation fee, that is refunded if they do the work.

So, I paid $100, they came over and took a look at it. The said no problem. I bought the TV and paid for install etc which was $400 with the AAA coupon (which I think I may still have an electronic version of I can send you if you want it). They refunded the $100 for the consultation, so it was $400 total for install.

Their install includes programming of the remote (I used my Direct TV remote to turn on/off the TV, Volume etc). They also hook up the surround sound, DVD player, cable/direct TV box etc. so be sure to have the proper cables and such and they'll run them all at once (I had them run my HDMI cables and an extra one in case I need it in the future)

Well worth it IMO, nice to let them in the door, go about your business and come back and the TV is hung and programmed etc.

--wes


-
pic?
2K2 LS1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome