Finally found a remote system to fit my needs... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Finally found a remote system to fit my needs...

I've been looking for a remote system to fit my needs. I want an all in one system to control everything. Not having all those remotes laying around the livingroom will be nice.

Also, with all of my components going in the closet, I needed some kind of extender(IR or RF). But, me having a plasma, the IR extenders that are plasma proof, get pretty pricey! So I decided to go RF instead, with Logitech Harmony 1000 and the Harmony RF extender, looks like this system will meet all of my needs. And this entire setup will cost the same as a plasma proof IR extender, and I'll get a nice touch screen remote that will control everything

Remote:

Extender:

So, to you experts out there, are there any cons to this system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 08:07 AM
is chilaxing

Looks badass man. For my taste, it's bulky. Reason I'm looking into the 890. To answer your ?, don't know man. Shit better control everything you put to it, even woman.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Well, plans have changed again

One thing that was going to put a snag in my plans, has snagged Since my components will be behind the seating area, and the plasma will be in front, the 1000 with the RF extender will not work. The RF extender will not reach to the TV and the components at the same time. And the 1000 will not produce a RF signal and a IR signal at the same time.

So, after speaking with Harmony about my situation, they recomended the 890 model. It will produce both RF and IR signals at the same time. So I can contect the RF extender to the components in the closet and opperate them at the same time the 890 send a signal to the plasma.

Smaller remote, but no touch screen. Easy opperation though. Guess its a good trade off. As long as everything works the way I need it to, then I'll be happy.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 08:40 AM
Time Served

I have the 890 too Nick. Its a really nice piece. You know I have that big ass plasma too and I dont have a lick of problems from it.
The nice thing about these remotes is the learning port. I have Cox cable here and they give you a decent universal rmeote with their DVR HD cable boxes, but sometimes with the codes it doesnt nail every function down fromt he previous remote. Well, all you have to do is use that port and aim the old remote at the 890 and it learns it. I set mine up on my computer and you can program it to do complete one button functions. Like lay dvd: and it turns on everything.... stereo (a/v switcher) dvd player, tv, and automatically plays the damn disc. Its nice. You'll like it. And it cheap for what it is really. I paid I think 200 bucks on ebay for the rf extender and the remote. I use the RF module in my bedroom for my lcd on my wall and all the gear thats in the closet behind the wall its mounted on. So one remote for both rooms.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatDude
I have the 890 too Nick. Its a really nice piece. You know I have that big ass plasma too and I dont have a lick of problems from it.
The nice thing about these remotes is the learning port. I have Cox cable here and they give you a decent universal rmeote with their DVR HD cable boxes, but sometimes with the codes it doesnt nail every function down fromt he previous remote. Well, all you have to do is use that port and aim the old remote at the 890 and it learns it. I set mine up on my computer and you can program it to do complete one button functions. Like lay dvd: and it turns on everything.... stereo (a/v switcher) dvd player, tv, and automatically plays the damn disc. Its nice. You'll like it. And it cheap for what it is really. I paid I think 200 bucks on ebay for the rf extender and the remote. I use the RF module in my bedroom for my lcd on my wall and all the gear thats in the closet behind the wall its mounted on. So one remote for both rooms.

Yeah, I have the 880 now. And it performs all of these functions. But lacks RF support. So the components in the closet would not be reachable with the 880.
Just pulled the trigger on the 890. Should be here tomorrow
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Yeah, I have the 880 now. And it performs all of these functions. But lacks RF support. So the components in the closet would not be reachable with the 880.
Just pulled the trigger on the 890. Should be here tomorrow
Sweet. I have no doubt you will like it. You already have a taste of their functions with a previous model though so its not going to be anything for you really. I had a cheap IR universal all-in-one before so it was a night and day difference for me.
Id love to have the touchscreen 1000, but I have a 2 1/2 year old girl and I finally have her broken of messing with the remote. If I had a little "puter" (as she likes to call them) laying around she wouldnt leave it alone.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Yeah, should be an easy transformation for my house.

Side note: I will have my Harmony 880 for sale here in a few days, if anyone is interested. Nothing wrong with it at all. I just needed something that was able to produce a RF signal.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:06 AM
is chilaxing

pm sent Nick...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement