Big media project(for me).... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Big media project(for me)....

Well, since I've been renting this house, all of my wires have been ran along the baseboards Now that I've bought the house, it's time to put everything behind the sheetrock. Get everything "out of sight". This is going to be a big project for myself, as I've never done anything like this. I know there are a couple of installers on here, and I'm just looking for some advice

Here are my list of supplies so far...

100ft of 22awg gold plated HDMI cable

2- Dual port HDMI wall plate(I only need 1 port, but I though I better get a dual plate just incase I need it later on)

300ft of 12awg CL2 Rated-2 in wall speaker wire

3- Banana Binding Post Wall Plate(2 for monitors and 1 for the center channel)

1-Banana Binding Post Wall Plate for 5 Speaker. For inside the audio closet

Now, here's my plan...
I have a coat closet right by the front door. I want to make this my "audio closet". Now I know that there will be no air circulation in there, so I plan to add a vent of some sort thru the wall. This shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. This living room really isn't that large, so having everything out of sight will make my life easier, plus it will give the room a "clean" look. Here is a list of equiptment that will be inside the closet...

Sherwood Newcastle P-965
ATI 1505 amp
Toshiba HD DVD player
Sherwood HDMI/Component switcher
Monster Power HTS 2600 MKII
Verizon cable box

I plan to put 1 dual port HDMI plate and the 5 speaker wall plate, inside the "audio closet". Then install the other plates at their intended destination(left monitor gets one speaker plate, right gets another, etc...). For my rear channels, I'm planning to buy some in wall speakers. So no wall plates will be needed for these.

One question about the audio closet. I plan to add a vent to allow some air circulation in there. Do I need to install a fan of some sort also, or will a basic vent be enough?

Does this sound like everything that I'll need? Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Nick... couple questions about the room...

Is there a room above it? Is there attic above it? Running cables is a PITA. Dont forget that with the vertical studs, there are also angled braces as support. I had my first run in with that out at an Army base last week.

12ga wire seems a bit overkill if you ask me...with a decent amp, 18ga is enough. We run up to 6 speakers in a single room, daisy chained with no problem.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
Nick... couple questions about the room...

Is there a room above it? Is there attic above it? Running cables is a PITA. Dont forget that with the vertical studs, there are also angled braces as support. I had my first run in with that out at an Army base last week.

12ga wire seems a bit overkill if you ask me...with a decent amp, 18ga is enough. We run up to 6 speakers in a single room, daisy chained with no problem.

Single story house. No rooms above it. Large attic.
I realize that running cables is a pain, but I want it to look good and clean. No more wires across the floors. I doubt very seriously that there are any support braces running inbetween the studs in the walls.
I decided to go with 12ga wire due to the lenth of the runs(80ft+) on the front monitors and center channel. I want the equiptment out of sight, and the only way to do that is to put it in the back of the room. I want no loss at all to the speakers. I would be ok with 14ga, but I want to be "future proof" in case I every upgrade to something bigger and better. Maybe it's overkill, but oh well, it's only $20 more for 300ft of 12ga wire vs 14ga wire.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Lifer

Hey Nick, and option for your rear-channel stuff, is to run crown mould around the room, with the wires behind it. Spruces up the room, too!

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
Hey Nick, and option for your rear-channel stuff, is to run crown mould around the room, with the wires behind it. Spruces up the room, too!

Nah, too fancy for my taste. My plan(for now) is to do in wall speakers for the rears.
Plus, the A/V equiptment is going to be in the back of the room(out of sight).
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Nah, too fancy for my taste. My plan(for now) is to do in wall speakers for the rears.
Plus, the A/V equiptment is going to be in the back of the room(out of sight).
With the attic above, it shouldn't be an issue. I did the previous in my last house, which was a 2-story.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 08:03 PM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:
Well, since I've been renting this house, all of my wires have been ran along the baseboards Now that I've bought the house, it's time to put everything behind the sheetrock. Get everything "out of sight". This is going to be a big project for myself, as I've never done anything like this. I know there are a couple of installers on here, and I'm just looking for some advice

Here are my list of supplies so far...

100ft of 22awg gold plated HDMI cable

2- Dual port HDMI wall plate(I only need 1 port, but I though I better get a dual plate just incase I need it later on)

300ft of 12awg CL2 Rated-2 in wall speaker wire

3- Banana Binding Post Wall Plate(2 for monitors and 1 for the center channel)

1-Banana Binding Post Wall Plate for 5 Speaker. For inside the audio closet

Now, here's my plan...
I have a coat closet right by the front door. I want to make this my "audio closet". Now I know that there will be no air circulation in there, so I plan to add a vent of some sort thru the wall. This shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. This living room really isn't that large, so having everything out of sight will make my life easier, plus it will give the room a "clean" look. Here is a list of equiptment that will be inside the closet...

Sherwood Newcastle P-965
ATI 1505 amp
Toshiba HD DVD player
Sherwood HDMI/Component switcher
Monster Power HTS 2600 MKII
Verizon cable box

I plan to put 1 dual port HDMI plate and the 5 speaker wall plate, inside the "audio closet". Then install the other plates at their intended destination(left monitor gets one speaker plate, right gets another, etc...). For my rear channels, I'm planning to buy some in wall speakers. So no wall plates will be needed for these.

One question about the audio closet. I plan to add a vent to allow some air circulation in there. Do I need to install a fan of some sort also, or will a basic vent be enough?

Does this sound like everything that I'll need? Any advice?
Sounds like you have a good majority of things covered. 12ga speaker wire is what I would use if I were going to do it, although. I would also add a couple of cat5e wire runs in for good measure, to further 'future proof'.

The only other thing to consider is control. IR or RF. Personally I would look into an RF system, much more reliable and less chance of sources getting out of sync. If you plan on doing it via IR you will need some type of IR kit. I would tend to lean toward the stick on emitters vs. the 'blaster cone' type. The place you bought your speakers from has a kit that seems to be reasonable, although I have never seen nor installed one of their kits. I have always used Xantech IR kits in the past.

You have my number, feel free to give me a shout if you would like some suggestions or advice. Pics are always good though, to better understand what's going on.

Heat in the closet really shouldn't be an issue. I have had my DVD player, satellite, and cable box in our coat closet (full of coats) for well over a year now and it is hardly any warmer than the rest of the house although I do not have a receiver in there at the moment, which would make it warmer obviously. I do have another closet that houses my house system (DVD player, VCR) that does have a receiver and never had a problem. Remember, if you have a vent in the closet, it will blow heated air during the winter, which is a big issue of course.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
Sounds like you have a good majority of things covered. 12ga speaker wire is what I would use if I were going to do it, although. I would also add a couple of cat5e wire runs in for good measure, to further 'future proof'.

The only other thing to consider is control. IR or RF. Personally I would look into an RF system, much more reliable and less chance of sources getting out of sync. If you plan on doing it via IR you will need some type of IR kit. I would tend to lean toward the stick on emitters vs. the 'blaster cone' type. The place you bought your speakers from has a kit that seems to be reasonable, although I have never seen nor installed one of their kits. I have always used Xantech IR kits in the past.

You have my number, feel free to give me a shout if you would like some suggestions or advice. Pics are always good though, to better understand what's going on.

Heat in the closet really shouldn't be an issue. I have had my DVD player, satellite, and cable box in our coat closet (full of coats) for well over a year now and it is hardly any warmer than the rest of the house although I do not have a receiver in there at the moment, which would make it warmer obviously. I do have another closet that houses my house system (DVD player, VCR) that does have a receiver and never had a problem. Remember, if you have a vent in the closet, it will blow heated air during the winter, which is a big issue of course.

Doh! I almost forgot about an IR system Thanks for the reminder!

Yeah, the heat is the closet may or may not be a big issue. I'll have a pre amp in there, but I'll also have an 80lbs amp in there too. That thing tends to kick out some heat when it's fired up.

You should probably expect a phone call in the near future
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 09:50 AM
In the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
Personally I would look into an RF system, much more reliable and less chance of sources getting out of sync.
x2

Black on Black 02' Z28
Lowered on Black Z06 wheels

"A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Anybody have some good links to a good RF system?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Time Served

Quote:
i love this remote http://www.universalremote.com/produ...l.php?model=34
use that and the mrf 300
http://www.universalremote.com/produ...l.php?model=42
youll love it i guarantee it
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Time Served

Quote:
oh and did you already purchase the hdmi cable? ballpark pricce of cost? did u consider running coax instead? way cheaper btw
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous_sep
oh and did you already purchase the hdmi cable? ballpark pricce of cost? did u consider running coax instead? way cheaper btw

HDMI Cable has already been purchased, and is on it's way to me. 100ft for $104.15. Coax may be cheaper, but it will not work for me. I'm all HD, and the coax won't give me the picture quality that I want, plus my switcher doen't have a coax output
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
i love this remote http://www.universalremote.com/produ...l.php?model=34
use that and the mrf 300
http://www.universalremote.com/produ...l.php?model=42
youll love it i guarantee it

Those look nice, but a little too pricey for me. $799 for the remote and $169 for the RF transmitter

I bought the Harmony 890 for less than $300, and it'll do everything that $900 system will do

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...5944111&sr=8-1
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Those look nice, but a little too pricey for me. $799 for the remote and $169 for the RF transmitter

I bought the Harmony 890 for less than $300, and it'll do everything that $900 system will do

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...5944111&sr=8-1
ya whatever works for you bro
and i guess it is pricey but theres only so much u can do with harmony's but it all comes down to what u need it to do so more power to ya
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 08:55 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Where the fuck did you get 100' of HDMI cable for $104?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
Where the fuck did you get 100' of HDMI cable for $104?

www.monoprice.com

Best place in the world to get your audio and video cables. Been shopping with them for about 4 years. Always good quality products at a great price!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
ya whatever works for you bro
and i guess it is pricey but theres only so much u can do with harmony's but it all comes down to what u need it to do so more power to ya

Harmony 890 will do everything that I need to do. I only have 5 components that I need to control, and the Harmony will control everything on those 5 components except the ambilight control on the TV.
It will also control lights throughout the house, fireplace, curtains, and a few other things. None of which I need. I guess I'm pretty simple when it comes to audio/video controls

My old Harmony 880 would've worked, but it doesn't support RF controls. And since I'm putting all of my components out of sight, I needed RF control. So I stepped up to the 890.
The 890 will control all of my "hidden" components through RF, while at the same time, controling my TV(which is in plain view) on IR.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 07:47 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
www.monoprice.com

Best place in the world to get your audio and video cables. Been shopping with them for about 4 years. Always good quality products at a great price!
Sonofabitch.

Thanks man.

Fortunately I've only purchased ONE HDMI cable from Fry's and it was of the $20 6' variety.

Now I'm totally squared away. I've already read the reviews and Monoprice competes very well.

Gizmodo had a direct comparison with Monoprice and Monster's most expensive cables. In all but the longest cable lengths, the Monoprice proved to be Monster's equal.

In there test with a 50' cable, they had some serious issues with one cable. However they swapped it out and could not repeat the issue. So if you have problems with that 100' cable, just get it exchanged before panicking.

Thanks again..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement