Need Reccomendations for Speakers - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Need Reccomendations for Speakers

The right side tweeter in my car died a couple of months ago, and now the left side tweeter is going out as well, not to mention that my front speakers can't handle any kind of bass at all, and might as well be done for, so I'm looking for reccomendations for new speakers. I think my wiring may be screwed up (that's what I get for getting my head unit wired up for free at Best Buy), so I need to take a look at that as well.

I'm looking on crutchfield and they're showing a couple of different packages with front and rear deck speakers, but I honestly don't know shit about car audio components and don't know what I'm looking at. I want some decent speakers that will sound nice, but I don't want to break the bank here, but I will pony up a bit if I have to. I just want speakers that will last me through college and sound good.

So far, the ones that looks interesting are Polk db570's and Pioneer TS-G6841R's, but again, I have no freaking clue what I'm looking at here.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Slowhand is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Wolverines!!!
 
SlowLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: 1st Civ Div
Posts: 9,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
The right side tweeter in my car died a couple of months ago, and now the left side tweeter is going out as well, not to mention that my front speakers can't handle any kind of bass at all, and might as well be done for, so I'm looking for reccomendations for new speakers. I think my wiring may be screwed up (that's what I get for getting my head unit wired up for free at Best Buy), so I need to take a look at that as well.

I'm looking on crutchfield and they're showing a couple of different packages with front and rear deck speakers, but I honestly don't know shit about car audio components and don't know what I'm looking at. I want some decent speakers that will sound nice, but I don't want to break the bank here, but I will pony up a bit if I have to. I just want speakers that will last me through college and sound good.

So far, the ones that looks interesting are Polk db570's and Pioneer TS-G6841R's, but again, I have no freaking clue what I'm looking at here.

Any help would be much appreciated.
PM EW
SlowLX is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 10:03 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS
 
Geor!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HERE WE GO!!!
Posts: 18,685
I'm very happy with my JLs. VERY happy.

Geor! is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mesquite
Posts: 1,249
Check Ebay. I just bought a set of MA Audio 4 x 6's and 6 1/2's for $63.00 shipped for both pair. New in the box. Those retailed anywhere from $60 to $120 a set.
JL, Boston Acoustics, Audiobahn, MA Audio, Pioneer, Sony, MB Quart, Diamond Audio, Focal, And some Zapco are all on there. You can easily save 50%.

Here is a Polk SEARCH
UNICORN is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DFW
Posts: 199
I've always been a big fan of Boston separates for car audio. Great clear sound without being tinny.
pgans is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 AM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
I'm very happy with my JLs. VERY happy.
Which ones do you have?
jluv is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:52 AM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgans
I've always been a big fan of Boston separates for car audio. Great clear sound without being tinny.

I am very happy with my Boston Pro 60s. There are a lot of cheaper options that will sound decent in an average setup, though.
jluv is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICORN
Check Ebay. I just bought a set of MA Audio 4 x 6's and 6 1/2's for $63.00 shipped for both pair. New in the box. Those retailed anywhere from $60 to $120 a set.
JL, Boston Acoustics, Audiobahn, MA Audio, Pioneer, Sony, MB Quart, Diamond Audio, Focal, And some Zapco are all on there. You can easily save 50%.

Here is a Polk SEARCH
x2 for memphis audio... great stuff... cheap...

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/needlesharp/bevisandbuthead.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
NeedleSharp is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
I'm very happy with my JLs. VERY happy.
JL comps?? they are too overpriced man... i would say their subs are better valued than thier comps. they sound good dont get me wrong, just a lot of other options for that price range that sound better IMO.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/needlesharp/bevisandbuthead.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
NeedleSharp is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleSharp
x2 for memphis audio... great stuff... cheap...
MA audio ≠ Memphis

They used to be known as Mobile Authority but some how got credibility after a Monster Garage episode.

Head to a reputable stereo shop and talk to someone there, demo a few sets and make sure you are listening at the same power level you plan on using with the same subwoofer arrangement.

I prefer Diamond Audio but only the higher end ones (D971s in my truck) but the Quart Q series is also very nice and can be had for real cheap, cheap being in the $450 or so range. Of course Focal Utopias are nice but at $1300+ they better be. Same goes for Rainbow, Lexicon, etc...
BP is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
MA audio ≠ Memphis
fuk i was afraid of that

i figured maybe MA owned memphis audio or something... well memphis, for the price, is great IMO...

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/needlesharp/bevisandbuthead.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
NeedleSharp is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 08:03 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing
 
EW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 9,226
Mobile Authority (AKA MA Audio) is flea market stuff and not the same as Memphis.
EW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome