Mounting Plasma in brick... - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Mounting Plasma in brick...

Looking to have my plasma TV mounted in the brick above the fireplace. Anyone know someone that can do this? I'm wanting a professional that can get it correct the first time(no screw ups).

Thanks,
Nick
Nick Chapman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: N. texas
Posts: 223
give me a shout.
dman is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
give me a shout.


I shouted, and heard nothing back from you.....how bout a number?
Nick Chapman is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:47 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Up the street
Posts: 809
Do it yourself Nick. I did just that with my cheap 50" plasma. Drilled out spots in the mortar with a huge mason bit to fit 8 big hollow wall anchors through.... bolted them up through the wall mount and running my wires up through the back and down through the wall beside it (still haven't done it yet... they are running along the bricks). Only took me about 2 hours.... 150 bucks including the mount and big ass bit.... and its been up for a couple months now and it was easier than I thought it would be.
DatDude is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
I already have the mount. All I need is someone to do the work. I really don't trust myself with brick, as you will only get one chance with it. I'd perfer to just pay someone to do the work, have it come out clean, and I won't have to worry about it falling
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Up the street
Posts: 809
Its all good. I probably trust myself to do way more things than I should, but I haven't screwed anything up yet so I must be doing something right.

It really isn't that bad though. I called several places up here in Tulsa, and installation on brick seems to be something that only a couple places would even touch... for liability purposes. And there were disclaimers and crap for them too and nobody had very many installs on brick under their belt because everyone shys away. I figured, if Im going to pay someone alot of money to install something that they tell me they aren't responsible for for the entire time its hanging (alot of weight pulling down on nothing more than stacked brick) and they aren't THAT experienced at doing this exact install.... I might as well do it myself so i know its up there as strong as its going to get. 125lb beauty hanging on my all brick fireplace now.
DatDude is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lowell Arkansas
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Looking to have my plasma TV mounted in the brick above the fireplace. Anyone know someone that can do this? I'm wanting a professional that can get it correct the first time(no screw ups).

Thanks,
Nick
How long are you planning on having the tv? The holes in the brick will be there forever. Just mount it on a wall. Plus all of the wires you will have to run into the back of it.

bmxerbrett is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 27
That's a good point, bmxerbrett. I had an opportunity to do the same thing with my plasma, but I decided against. The holes in my brick would've been to big for my liking and I knew that it was probably better if I just mounted it to the wall.

Great Information- computer and internet franchises

Movie Reviews-IMDB
layla17 is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 07:27 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Up the street
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxerbrett
How long are you planning on having the tv? The holes in the brick will be there forever. Just mount it on a wall. Plus all of the wires you will have to run into the back of it.
I filled one hole I redrilled for my cables using mortar I matched to the existing black stuff and it looked great. And there are only two cables going to my TV. Power and a single HDMI from my A/V receiver so its not that bad at all.
DatDude is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxerbrett
How long are you planning on having the tv? The holes in the brick will be there forever. Just mount it on a wall. Plus all of the wires you will have to run into the back of it.


Well, the only way to take full advantage of our livingroom is to mount the plasma on the fireplace. Any other configuration, and the livingroom is too small for what we want to do(the livingroom is long and narrow).

I've considered a ceiling mount for it, but it's a vaulted ceiling, and I haven't found a ceiling mount long enough to drop the TV down to the ideal height. So I'm left with either a wall mount to the fireplace, or keeping our livingroom arranged in a less than desireble arrangement.
I believe that the holes can be filled if we ever decide to go anouther route. But for now, I think the fireplace mount is what we want to do.
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 09:13 AM
lol, this place sucks now
 
ClockwrkOrangeS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: DFWMustangs.net
Posts: 13,422
I'll do it.
ClockwrkOrangeS4 is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Up the street
Posts: 809
This is a quick pic at what I did Nick.
And make sure you check to see if the height you are going to hang it at is comfortable for long periods of watching from your seat. Lesson I learned from hanging our 42" lcd before in our old apartment. I rigged up a stand this time and watched alot of TV before I decided on where to hang it. Anything higher than this hurt my neck after an hour or so.
DatDude is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatDude
This is a quick pic at what I did Nick.
And make sure you check to see if the height you are going to hang it at is comfortable for long periods of watching from your seat. Lesson I learned from hanging our 42" lcd before in our old apartment. I rigged up a stand this time and watched alot of TV before I decided on where to hang it. Anything higher than this hurt my neck after an hour or so.


Nice install.
The only thing I would like to do different, is to mount the center channel below the screen. So that will put the TV a little higher than yours.
I'm gonna take some pics tonight and send it to an installer. He is going to get back to me with more info on what needs to be done, and I guess we'll go from there. I hope I can get it all done soon
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Up the street
Posts: 809
I wanted to do the same thing, but it looked goofy with the TV down as low as it is and I didnt want the TV any higher because it just wasnt comfortable. You would be surprised by what feels good watching for 10 minutes, hurts your neck from looking up at it for an hour or longer. I just tilted the center channel down a little and it sounds just fine.
DatDude is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatDude
I wanted to do the same thing, but it looked goofy with the TV down as low as it is and I didnt want the TV any higher because it just wasnt comfortable. You would be surprised by what feels good watching for 10 minutes, hurts your neck from looking up at it for an hour or longer. I just tilted the center channel down a little and it sounds just fine.


Well, rule of thumb is that the center channel is as close to the same hieght as the FL and FR monitors. I have towers that sit on the floor, so moving the center to be above the TV would be entirely too high. Just over the fireplace will be almost perfect.

Going to wait on the installer to give me some ideas as to placement of the TV and center channel. Hopefully it will work the way I want it to.
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Nick... I have a couple guys at work who like to do side work. Id voulenteer to help but my damn wrists are already killing me. Yesterday we had a 60" install and it SUCKED.

Anyways, I have the tools, some snap toggles, bolts and a drill... You can use my stuff but Im not lifting

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: N. texas
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatDude
Its all good. I probably trust myself to do way more things than I should, but I haven't screwed anything up yet so I must be doing something right.

It really isn't that bad though. I called several places up here in Tulsa, and installation on brick seems to be something that only a couple places would even touch... for liability purposes. And there were disclaimers and crap for them too and nobody had very many installs on brick under their belt because everyone shys away. I figured, if Im going to pay someone alot of money to install something that they tell me they aren't responsible for for the entire time its hanging (alot of weight pulling down on nothing more than stacked brick) and they aren't THAT experienced at doing this exact install.... I might as well do it myself so i know its up there as strong as its going to get. 125lb beauty hanging on my all brick fireplace now.

you are correct. Alot of av companies will not touch a brick install. And noone will accept liability for a tv falling while pulling the brick down with it, lol..... Actually as long as the house was built pretty solid, you should be good. 42" and up should be mounted with 6-8 mounting bolts to evenly distribute the weight. We use Hilti's only. The are the best on the market even though they run roughly $61 for a box of 25.
dman is offline  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Up the street
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
you are correct. Alot of av companies will not touch a brick install. And noone will accept liability for a tv falling while pulling the brick down with it, lol..... Actually as long as the house was built pretty solid, you should be good. 42" and up should be mounted with 6-8 mounting bolts to evenly distribute the weight. We use Hilti's only. The are the best on the market even though they run roughly $61 for a box of 25.
And its for that reason that I did it myself. Damnit.... if my TV is gonna crash down to the ground while im watching House, there better not be anyone to point fingers at but me or Im going to point them. LOL....

And its funny you mentioned Hilti because I live in Tulsa a couple miles from the largest Hilti plant and I do alot of work for them. I used exactly eight of their large (at least 3/8" bolts and anchors) on my mount. That thing isnt going anywhere. I tried ripping it off with everything I had in me before I hung the TV and it didnt flinch.
DatDude is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 02:40 PM
In the field
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Terrell, TX
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
Nick... I have a couple guys at work who like to do side work. Id voulenteer to help but my damn wrists are already killing me. Yesterday we had a 60" install and it SUCKED.

Anyways, I have the tools, some snap toggles, bolts and a drill... You can use my stuff but Im not lifting

Stop being a pussy Tim.

x2 on guys here that do stuff like this on the side all the time.

Let us know.

Black on Black 02' Z28
Lowered on Black Z06 wheels

"A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"
Pewter Y2K Z28 is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Mexican Crew
 
paul_376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
Nick... I have a couple guys at work who like to do side work. Id voulenteer to help but my damn wrists are already killing me. Yesterday we had a 60" install and it SUCKED.

Anyways, I have the tools, some snap toggles, bolts and a drill... You can use my stuff but Im not lifting


I need help with an install as well
let us know!

Quote:
Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

paul_376 is offline  
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewter Y2K Z28
Stop being a pussy Tim.

x2 on guys here that do stuff like this on the side all the time.

Let us know.
you are going to hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_376
I need help with an install as well
let us know!
trying to install that 43"? Its really not that hard... Where do you live?

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: N. texas
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatDude
And its for that reason that I did it myself. Damnit.... if my TV is gonna crash down to the ground while im watching House, there better not be anyone to point fingers at but me or Im going to point them. LOL....

And its funny you mentioned Hilti because I live in Tulsa a couple miles from the largest Hilti plant and I do alot of work for them. I used exactly eight of their large (at least 3/8" bolts and anchors) on my mount. That thing isnt going anywhere. I tried ripping it off with everything I had in me before I hung the TV and it didnt flinch.

The Hilti toggler is the shit!!!!!!!!! Expensive, but they know they have the best on the market, so why not get paid for em, lol ...
dman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome