Hybrids and Stereos? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Hybrids and Stereos?

Ok, so I decided to be a little CA bitch and get a Hybrid, not because it's my dream car like most everyone here, but because it was the advertisement car to entise people to come into the dealership. I bought this said bait and switch car because the price was about $5K off sticker according the the paper work...

Anyway, will hooking up a large system in said Civic be possible, and if so, do I need another battery in the trunk? If I get another battery? Can I tie said battery into the little car battery up front? (I did this on my Integra 10 years ago and it was rockin) But I do not know if it will harm anything on this car?

I don't know a damn thing about Hybrids, and I think most people who buy em aren't into tunes... anyone have any thoughts? The sales guy thought as long as I didn't touch the hybrid battery pack behind the back seat, it'd be ok...

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
You bought a Hybrid! LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
You bought a Hybrid! LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hell yea man, it's pimpin...

One tank of gas a month will be pimpin too... the gas I will save driving this little thing will make the car payment, and keep 1000+ miles a month off my Cobra.

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Iamwaxman!
 
Nick Chapman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKD
Hell yea man, it's pimpin...

One tank of gas a month will be pimpin too... the gas I will save driving this little thing will make the car payment, and keep 1000+ miles a month off my Cobra.


I'll send you a rainbow sticker, then beep beep your way down the highways out there
Hard to look tough in a Hybrid Civic
Nick Chapman is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
I'll send you a rainbow sticker, then beep beep your way down the highways out there
Hard to look tough in a Hybrid Civic
haha not trying to look tough, trying to keep my Cobra nice and low miled...

I'm probably the only person with a Hybrid with three 350+ hp cars, that's probably true...

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKD
Ok, so I decided to be a little CA bitch and get a Hybrid, not because it's my dream car like most everyone here, but because it was the advertisement car to entise people to come into the dealership. I bought this said bait and switch car because the price was about $5K off sticker according the the paper work...

Anyway, will hooking up a large system in said Civic be possible, and if so, do I need another battery in the trunk? If I get another battery? Can I tie said battery into the little car battery up front? (I did this on my Integra 10 years ago and it was rockin) But I do not know if it will harm anything on this car?

I don't know a damn thing about Hybrids, and I think most people who buy em aren't into tunes... anyone have any thoughts? The sales guy thought as long as I didn't touch the hybrid battery pack behind the back seat, it'd be ok...
honestly dont know Anything about hybrids... at all.. exceot for they have two batteries...

BUT, as long as you get an isolator like THIS ONE you should never be draining any power from the primary batteries, only using the alternator to recharge your extra one. as far as the alternator goes on those, i have NO clue how it works... you would definately, (i would guess) have to upgrade your alternator since you are charging a total of 3 batteries and you have 2 things that will be pulling high currents.

you also need to check with your dealership to make sure it wont void your warranty. with most warranties (i believe) any modifications done to the electrical system voids the warranty. normally, putting in a system in a car wont void the warranty and even an extra battery when installed correctly wont void, but since it is a hybrid they might be more strict. just cover your own ass on this one...

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/needlesharp/bevisandbuthead.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
NeedleSharp is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 816
BTW, while your at it, go ahead and ask Honda how much power the cars electrical system pulls from the alternator and how much (maximum and minimun) power the motor pulls. ask how much the stock alternator puts out idle and at 2k rpms. basic math should tell you how much headroom you have with the stock alternator. since manufactures are cheap, i wouldnt see the headroom exceding 20v... but stuff happens

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/needlesharp/bevisandbuthead.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
NeedleSharp is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Thanks for the info... the guy there did say he thought there mgith be an issue, but if the techs installed it, it'd be warrantied... I'm like I'm not turning your techs loose on 10K worth of stereo equipment, I don't even like stereo shops to hook my shit up...

It also has idle stop, where the car dies when you are at a complete stop to conserve gas... not sure how that will play out either...

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ellis County
Posts: 18,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKD
Hell yea man, it's pimpin...

One tank of gas a month will be pimpin too... the gas I will save driving this little thing will make the car payment, and keep 1000+ miles a month off my Cobra.
Please be aware that the real numbers show that hybrids are mainly hype. A typical Civic will get 40+ mpg, and is a lot cheaper than the Hybrid version.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Vertnut is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
Please be aware that the real numbers show that hybrids are mainly hype. A typical Civic will get 40+ mpg, and is a lot cheaper than the Hybrid version.
wth? a typical civic? 4 banger maybe... i think even 4 bangers get like 35 w. stick dont they? unless they have improved since the last few years... i know v6 gets ~32 or something like that. the hybrid gets 50mpg. also what are the horsepower differences in a 4 banger and a hybrid? anyone driven both who can compare the "go" factor???

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/needlesharp/bevisandbuthead.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
NeedleSharp is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
Please be aware that the real numbers show that hybrids are mainly hype. A typical Civic will get 40+ mpg, and is a lot cheaper than the Hybrid version.
I got a special on the Hybrid, it was cheaper than the regular ones, and yes it does get better gas mileage by about 10 mpg...

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleSharp
wth? a typical civic? 4 banger maybe... i think even 4 bangers get like 35 w. stick dont they? unless they have improved since the last few years... i know v6 gets ~32 or something like that. the hybrid gets 50mpg. also what are the horsepower differences in a 4 banger and a hybrid? anyone driven both who can compare the "go" factor???
mines rated 110 hp, plus the electric motor that comes in on throttle, which is maybe 10-20 hp but DC motors generate a lot of torque so it feels fast...

I didnt buy it to race, I bought it to pimp around and get good gas mileage... go drive em, they are a lot nicer than Prius's...

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKD
mines rated 110 hp, plus the electric motor that comes in on throttle, which is maybe 10-20 hp but DC motors generate a lot of torque so it feels fast...

I didnt buy it to race, I bought it to pimp around and get good gas mileage... go drive em, they are a lot nicer than Prius's...
so how much did you pay? and what do they normally go for?

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/needlesharp/bevisandbuthead.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
NeedleSharp is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKD
Thanks for the info... the guy there did say he thought there mgith be an issue, but if the techs installed it, it'd be warrantied... I'm like I'm not turning your techs loose on 10K worth of stereo equipment, I don't even like stereo shops to hook my shit up...

It also has idle stop, where the car dies when you are at a complete stop to conserve gas... not sure how that will play out either...
just make sure haveing a tech install it is totally necessary before getting bent over to put a nice system in. even if you do have to have someone install it all, the only thing that they should need to do is run the issolator to the primary battery and MAYBE run the wire to the secondary and thats pretty much it...

unless their waranty is different, you dont void the warranty unless you physicaly CUT and of the factory wires or harnesses. you should even be able to put in a new HU w.o having to worry as long as you know what your doing.

its pretty simple... dont cut any wires... there's ways around everything

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/needlesharp/bevisandbuthead.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
NeedleSharp is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleSharp
just make sure haveing a tech install it is totally necessary before getting bent over to put a nice system in. even if you do have to have someone install it all, the only thing that they should need to do is run the issolator to the primary battery and MAYBE run the wire to the secondary and thats pretty much it...

unless their waranty is different, you dont void the warranty unless you physicaly CUT and of the factory wires or harnesses. you should even be able to put in a new HU w.o having to worry as long as you know what your doing.

its pretty simple... dont cut any wires... there's ways around everything
The head unit is built into the dash, so I will just use RCA PAC adapters, ( I have them from my TL install)... I am pretty sure I can do everything, I just need to make sure it won't mess teh car up...

I paid just over 19, they sell at sticker which is 23,950... Also got some special hook up rate through Honda since it was the advertisement car to get people into the show room (one at this special price). It was about 100/mo cheaper than what it should have been... I would have gotten a Si or S2K if the price was normal...

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:26 PM
BANNED
 
Pro88LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Frisco
Posts: 8,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleSharp
wth? a typical civic? 4 banger maybe... i think even 4 bangers get like 35 w. stick dont they? unless they have improved since the last few years... i know v6 gets ~32 or something like that. the hybrid gets 50mpg. also what are the horsepower differences in a 4 banger and a hybrid? anyone driven both who can compare the "go" factor???
civics are ALL 4 cyl . 40 stick 36 auto iirc. I have driven and sold both. to be honest, one doesnt feel much faster than the other. theyre both turds.

Pro88LX is offline  
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro88LX
civics are ALL 4 cyl . 40 stick 36 auto iirc. I have driven and sold both. to be honest, one doesnt feel much faster than the other. theyre both turds.
says the guy driving the bad ass LT1... no wonder you think your car is fast, you drive Hondas all day...

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:43 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro88LX
civics are ALL 4 cyl . 4
SI v-techs???

dont know much about cars... never have claimed to. just assumed honda had a normal civic with a v6 in it. i do/did know that there ARE civics with v6's in em...

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/needlesharp/bevisandbuthead.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
NeedleSharp is offline  
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 27
I'm almost positive the only civics with a v6 are Accords. The Civic Si's are the high end and they just feature a high tuned v-tech 4 banger with a few upgrades.

Great Information- computer and internet franchises

Movie Reviews-IMDB
layla17 is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by layla17
I'm almost positive the only civics with a v6 are Accords. The Civic Si's are the high end and they just feature a high tuned v-tech 4 banger with a few upgrades.
and on that you are probobly right... dont no shit about cars... carry on with the audio...

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/needlesharp/bevisandbuthead.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
NeedleSharp is offline  
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
LOL.. if its an Accord.. its NOT a civic..

ALL civics are I4 even the Si..
BTW matt i just picked up a 06 civic for 14k, traded in the altima.. dropped a bunch on the car payment. its rated at 30/40.. so we will see what real world gas milage it gets on 87 octane

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
White_lightning is offline  
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 03:28 PM
mannish boy
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: drunk on diesel
Posts: 31,758
no offense, but horrible decision on the hybrid IMO...

the cost/benefit of cash outlay vs. money saved on fuel vs. depreciation & maintanence, etc. just isn't there
Cooter is offline  
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning
LOL.. if its an Accord.. its NOT a civic..

ALL civics are I4 even the Si..
BTW matt i just picked up a 06 civic for 14k, traded in the altima.. dropped a bunch on the car payment. its rated at 30/40.. so we will see what real world gas milage it gets on 87 octane
Sweet bro! you'll love the car trust me...

The 08 ratings are more real world, I think they are like 25/36 for the regular Civic models...

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
no offense, but horrible decision on the hybrid IMO...

the cost/benefit of cash outlay vs. money saved on fuel vs. depreciation & maintanence, etc. just isn't there
none taken... I'm not retarded, I got what Pro80LX tells me is called a Loss leader car...

It's where Honda discounts the hell out of the car through certain promotions and discounts the lease money factor, and sells ONE car during a 2-4 week period for under sticker. This gets people all excited to come into the show room. Once said car is gone, they try to sell you something identical for market... My car was low 19s, and I got a fat lease rate on it...

Basically it was $100/mo cheaper than a LX Civic... So, you say horrible decision, I say smartest and luckiest of my car purchasing career... I wanted a Si or EX coupe, but again, +100/mo...

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKD
Sweet bro! you'll love the car trust me...

The 08 ratings are more real world, I think they are like 25/36 for the regular Civic models...
the 08s i think got more power.. so far i hit 38mpg just cruising around on a 1/2 tank city/freeway mix

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
White_lightning is offline  
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:28 PM
mannish boy
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: drunk on diesel
Posts: 31,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKD
none taken... I'm not retarded, I got what Pro80LX tells me is called a Loss leader car...

It's where Honda discounts the hell out of the car through certain promotions and discounts the lease money factor, and sells ONE car during a 2-4 week period for under sticker. This gets people all excited to come into the show room. Once said car is gone, they try to sell you something identical for market... My car was low 19s, and I got a fat lease rate on it...

Basically it was $100/mo cheaper than a LX Civic... So, you say horrible decision, I say smartest and luckiest of my car purchasing career... I wanted a Si or EX coupe, but again, +100/mo...
ahh, interesting. congrats on your purchase
Cooter is offline  
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
but how much gas can you buy with the cost of that car and not look like a fag?

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
but how much gas can you buy with the cost of that car and not look like a fag?
I don't understand the question? Doesn't make much sense, did you read what you wrote?


I don't give a shit about what I look like, I still have two fast ass Mustangs that don't have to sit outside or get driven unless I want to... Its a comfortable and good gas mileage daily driver...

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
ahh, interesting. congrats on your purchase
yea thanks! The ad was (2007 Civic Hybrid at $179/mo with 3K drive off on 36 month lease) Fine print said (1 at this price)...

Same thing happened to me on a STS when they came out in 2005... It was like $399/mo lease on new Cadillac STS (one at this price). It was an ass ugly Moss Green color, and the black one that I wanted that had about a 1,200 difference in price was $599/mo...

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKD
I don't give a shit about what I look like, I still have two fast ass Mustangs that don't have to sit outside or get driven unless I want to... Its a comfortable and good gas mileage daily driver...
Respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKD
$599/mo...
holy shit...

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/needlesharp/bevisandbuthead.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
NeedleSharp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome