ipod fm transmitter help - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

ipod fm transmitter help

Ok, bought an FM transmitter this weekend so Christy can listen to her ipod in the t/a, and it won't pick up any of the stations because there aren't enough empty/clear stations. Has anyone run into a fix for that, or any other suggestions on how i can get her ipod hooked up? She has the stock Monsoon system in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Merry HoHo

FM modulator hooked directly up the antenna

.(OBAMA) One Big Ass Mistake America
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 01:18 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

WIRELESS FM MODULATION SUCKS.
However, there are many WIRED FM modulation set ups that work very well. Wired units range from $59ish to full ipod controllers for $175.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 01:35 PM
phuk therd gier

or get a cd dech that has an aux. input and get a male/male cord and plug it in like that

04 converted V8
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Num say'n? (tm)

I tried several FM modulators and they all sucked. Hard to find a clear frequency and the strength of the modulators isn't enough to give you a good signal. Hardwired, either with the input plug or the FM antenna adapter is the way to go.

DFWMustangs.net
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
WIRELESS FM MODULATION SUCKS.
However, there are many WIRED FM modulation set ups that work very well. Wired units range from $59ish to full ipod controllers for $175.
It's wired.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY04Mustang
or get a cd dech that has an aux. input and get a male/male cord and plug it in like that
Yeah, i thought about doing that, but didn't really want to jack with that.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

ipod2car from peripheral worked in my z06 with stock head unit, bought one off ebay for $60 retails for about 150. plus i use forward and reverse just like having a cd changer
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 04:41 PM
i win.

or just buy a new car that has an aux input already in the car... makes things a lot easier.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 05:57 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrjames
It's wired.
So what you are saying is that the radio has been removed from the dash, antenna connection has been unplugged from the radio, antenna has been plugged into the FM modulator, the output of the modulator has been plugged into the antenna input on the radio, and a power and ground connection has been made on the modulator, there is a switch to turn the modulator on and off, an 1/8" stereo jack or iPod specific cable w/RCA connectors on the end was plugged into the modulator, and the radio was reinstalled? Just checking.

If ALL of the above has taken place, it should sound pretty good and the channel won't matter because the modulator will effectively cut off the incoming radio station on that channel. Only thing better is direct plug in through aux input.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
So what you are saying is that the radio has been removed from the dash, antenna connection has been unplugged from the radio, antenna has been plugged into the FM modulator, the output of the modulator has been plugged into the antenna input on the radio, and a power and ground connection has been made on the modulator, there is a switch to turn the modulator on and off, an 1/8" stereo jack or iPod specific cable w/RCA connectors on the end was plugged into the modulator, and the radio was reinstalled? Just checking.

If ALL of the above has taken place, it should sound pretty good and the channel won't matter because the modulator will effectively cut off the incoming radio station on that channel. Only thing better is direct plug in through aux input.
No, its not "wired" that way. I thought you meant ipod to transmitter being wireless. No, ipod goes to transmitter, which plugs into cigarrette lighter, and picks up the radio frequency(or is supposed to). Think i'll just hold out til i get paid again, and buy her a new head unit that has the jack.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrjames
No, its not "wired" that way. I thought you meant ipod to transmitter being wireless. No, ipod goes to transmitter, which plugs into cigarrette lighter, and picks up the radio frequency(or is supposed to). Think i'll just hold out til i get paid again, and buy her a new head unit that has the jack.
That is the wireless FM modulator crap I'm talking about. A new deck is best. The Alpine iDA-X001 is the shiznit but not free. Easiest way to search an ipod on the market + killer display.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Merry HoHo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW

THATS WHAT I DID. TOOK ABOUT 1.5 TOTAL. i mounted a female 1/8 headphone jack in the console with a little rocker switch next to it.

.(OBAMA) One Big Ass Mistake America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement